Malone new head coach! (merged)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
cuz is watching game.
Yup. Lots of smh right at the time the altercation took place. Not related to our acquisition of Malone as coach.

Now, back to topic at hand. I'm very happily starting the official Welcome to the Kings thread.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
This is good news. With Musselman, Theus, and Westphal there were some reservations even at the time of their signing whether they were actually going to make us a better team or not. With Malone he's still unproven as a head coach, but he's at least the right type of coach to help this team. While I would have preferred a more established coach, I wanted Thibodeau when he was still available and Malone has a similar resume. Vivek clearly feels quite strongly about him. And if he does work out, he's going to have an opportunity to forge an identity here for a long time.

Entity

Hall of Famer
now to assistants. retain Clifford Ray the rest don't matter to me. sorry Bjax i loved you as a players. In interviews sounded to much like Smart.

Very quick and decisive by Vivek.

It's really good that we hired a defensive-minded coach, so hopefully he'll end up being a great hire.

I had hoped for a well-known coach with a winning pedigree, but the fact that he seems to have earned the respect of a lot of players is a good sign.

I wonder if we'll see his influence in our upcoming draft selection.

Here's hoping that this is one of a lot of great moves by the organization.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
now to assistants. retain Clifford Ray the rest don't matter to me. sorry Bjax i loved you as a players. In interviews sounded to much like Smart.
A little continuity doesn't hurt. Bobby has been loyal to the area in that when he left, he didn't sell his home. It's not that this need to effect what Vivek does of course. I would almost expect Bobby to just stay in the area and not move away and try to make a living as a coach. He certainly knows he is limited in that area. That was Jerry Reynold's plan also. Job, or not, he was staying here and coaching high school basketball or something of the sort.

And, hey, Bobby is from my alma mater.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Agree about Ray but totally disagree about Bobby J. He works HARD with the players and I truly believe that he'll be an asset to Malone. Bobby had to toe the line in interviews, etc. and be consistent with what Smart was putting out. It can't have been an easy task.

No doubt, although I thought he was wondering what Hansbro did to get the T, I am still scratching my head on that one.
he wasn't wearing a Miami jersey, thats what he did wrong. its fairly obvious how bad the NBA wants the Heat in the finals. they want to cash out on the LeBron money

Totally disagree on Bobby. For no other reason if building fan trust again is important, removing Booby would be an unwelcomed challenge. Further, he appears to do great work with our players.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'm sorry, have no behind the scenes info on Bobby, but was utterly unimpressive when interviewed. Don't know how serious he was about being a coach, but could possibly be moved into a community outreach type position if there isn't room for him on the staff.

Be one of the interesting questions how the old players will be treated now with an entire regime change and so much of the institutional memory between these guys and the Kings wiped away.

i wonder how he and Cousins will get along.

also curious as to how he will utilize Cousins on offense. will he have him practicing 3's and standing out at the top of the key like Keith Smart? no i dont think so

I have nothing against Bobby, but I hope this team just does what's best for the organization, whether that is keep him on as an assistant or let him go. Time to get on to the business of winning. Any assistant who gets let go will land on their feet somewhere.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Didn't Bobby start here in the FO in some kind of do nothing role? I'd put him in a role that neither hurts us or helps us but just to keep him around. People like him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm sorry, have no behind the scenes info on Bobby, but was utterly unimpressive when interviewed. Don't know how serious he was about being a coach, but could possibly be moved into a community outreach type position if there isn't room for him on the staff.

Be one of the interesting questions how the old players will be treated now with an entire regime change and so much of the institutional memory between these guys and the Kings wiped away.
He may have been unimpressive in interviews but that's not why we have assistant coaches. He's ALWAYS working with the players, especially before games, and he's well respected by pretty much everyone. He cares about the players and he cares about Sacramento. I personally think he can be the perfect choice to transition from old to new. And without the handicap of Keith Smart et al, I think Bobby can be a valuable asset for Vivek and Co.

uh oh. Jason Jones hasn't confirmed the news. Temper your excitement.

Jason Jones ‏@mr_jasonjones 2m
Malone cannot be confirmed as coach until escrow closes Friday at 5 p.m.

I don't think there will be much difference. I mean, how much did the Maloof family actually value those players and that era? If it wasn't beneficial to their bank account, they didn't care.