Malcolm Brogdon is the one

This to me is the guy we should go after this off-season, I wanted Marcus Smart last year but Brogdon brings what Smart brings plus IQ/playmaking and way way better shooting. I would seriously give this guy 15-17+million he can replace Boggie (trade him ) and fixes the back up PG solution and at times filling in at SF (defended Leonard well at times in the playoffs). He's the ultimate glue guy of the guard position and a pass first guy who is like the Al Horford of combo guards.

He along with a decent C is what we should be going after and we are a playoff team.

Fox/Brogdan
Hield/Brogdan
Barnes/?
Bagley/Bjelica
?/Giles

This to me is the guy we should go after this off-season, I wanted Marcus Smart last year but Brogdon brings what Smart brings plus IQ/playmaking and way way better shooting. I would seriously give this guy 15-17+million he can replace Boggie (trade him ) and fixes the back up PG solution and at times filling in at SF (defended Leonard well at times in the playoffs). He's the ultimate glue guy of the guard position and a pass first guy who is like the Al Horford of combo guards.

He along with a decent C is what we should be going after and we are a playoff team.

Fox/Brogdan
Hield/Brogdan
Barnes/?
Bagley/Bjelica
?/Giles
There's a thread on RealGM where people are predicting Brogdon's next contract. I personally think it will be more than 15-17 mil.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1849080

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Lets see, we need a backup PG, perhaps a starting center, and depth at the SF position. Right? So why in the hell are we talking about spending a boatload of money on a SG? Nothing against Brogdon. I wanted the Kings to draft him coming out of Virginia, and all I heard on this forum was that he was too old and had no upside. As much as I like Brogdon, we have more pressing needs, and that's where our attention should be.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The Kings already have a similar player in Bogdan. Both are best used in the role of combo G and there really is only room for one of those off the bench.

If the Kings can't land a solid backup PG, I'd think about Brogdon as the backup point. Decent defender, switchable, extremely efficient shooter and a good passer. He and Bogdan could run the 2nd unit together and share ball handling duties. I bet you Brogdon is a better passer than we've seen so far. The ball was dominated by Giannis, Bledsoe and Middleton in that starting lineup and Brogdon still managed to have a decent assist rate.

Wouldn't overpay for him but I'd definitely give him a shot. If he can play backup PG minutes as well as spotty minutes elsewhere, the Kings would have another almost Buddy Hield like shooter out there.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Lets see, we need a backup PG, perhaps a starting center, and depth at the SF position. Right? So why in the hell are we talking about spending a boatload of money on a SG? Nothing against Brogdon. I wanted the Kings to draft him coming out of Virginia, and all I heard on this forum was that he was too old and had no upside. As much as I like Brogdon, we have more pressing needs, and that's where our attention should be.
I couldn't disagree more. Brogdan is a better player than Hield. He's a better playmaker, better defensive player, better passer, and much higher in BBIQ, and his outside shooting ain't bad either. You win more with Brogdan at the starting two rather than Buddy. Unlike Bogs, Brogdan can take some of the ball-handling chore from Fox and be a combo guard. Brogdan starts; Hield comes off the bench and gets at least three sixth-man-of-the-year awards. Bogs gets traded for value. Kings end up with the best trio of guards in the league.

All that said, the Bucks aren't letting him go because of everything I said above.

I couldn't disagree more. Brogdan is a better player than Hield. He's a better playmaker, better defensive player, better passer, and much higher in BBIQ, and his outside shooting ain't bad either. You win more with Brogdan at the starting two rather than Buddy. Unlike Bogs, Brogdan can take some of the ball-handling chore from Fox and be a combo guard. Brogdan starts; Hield comes off the bench and gets at least three sixth-man-of-the-year awards. Bogs gets traded for value. Kings end up with the best trio of guards in the league.

All that said, the Bucks aren't letting him go because of everything I said above.
Keep and use Bogdanovic.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Well done, you entirely missed my point!

The Kings already have a similar player in Bogdan. Both are best used in the role of combo G and there really is only room for one of those off the bench.
Interesting discussion between the two. I think it does matter where Brogdon is a much better fit to flex at the 1/2, he's a better shooter, and he's certainly a better defender against opposing PG's than Bogdan is at this point. He'd be a true flex guy that would fit so well with the skill-set of Fox and Buddy. Also gives you a chance to get Bogs in a secondary-playmaker role, something he exceeded well in his rookie season.

And I do think there's some potential to scoop Brogdon with the Bucks salary situation getting really tight. Middleton is going to be their main priority, which will likely cost the max, or at least close to it. Brook Lopez, who they love, is certainly going to get a raise this off-season and Mirotic is a UFA as well. They just committed a long-term to Bledsoe for 15+ Mil a season. If we ran in with a 15-16+ mil offer for Brogdon, I don't know if the money would work out. Next season would be:

Giannis- 25 mil (with the supermax lurking after 2 more seasons, have to set the books up right)
Middleton- 25 mil (Probably on the lower end of offers he gets)
Bledsoe- 15 mil
Snell- 11 mil
Ersan- 7 mil
DJ Wilson- 2.9 mil
Divencenzo- 2.9 mil
George Hill cap hit- 1 mil
Hawes cap hit- 2 mil
Larry Sanders cap hit- 1.8 mil
=93.6 mil in salary.

Doesn't leave a lot of room for them to improve on the team, much less get all their guys back to run it back next season. They'd have to be willing to go well above the cap.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well done, you entirely missed my point!
I don't buy the rigid premise that you don't look at quality like Brogdan because of the other team needs. I wholeheartedly agree that the priority for the Kings should be a quality center. As I said last summer, WCS doesn't cut it. But sometimes you have to adjust your needs to fit the situation. What if a high value quality center cannot be convinced to come to the Kings? Then what? I also agree that the backup pg and sf position is a need. But Brogdan as a combo guard makes the need for a backup pg much less important because he can play with Fox or without (hence, he can be a backup pg). And the backup sf shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. And like I said, you trade Bogs if you get Brogdan, get value, then get your other minor "needs" taken care of. What we really need is a better team, and getting a quality player like Brogdan can do that.

Cuz he's a PG aswell? That can guard 1's, 2's and certain 3's effectively.

I don't buy the rigid premise that you don't look at quality like Brogdan because of the other team needs. I wholeheartedly agree that the priority for the Kings should be a quality center. As I said last summer, WCS doesn't cut it. But sometimes you have to adjust your needs to fit the situation. What if a high value quality center cannot be convinced to come to the Kings? Then what? I also agree that the backup pg and sf position is a need. But Brogdan as a combo guard makes the need for a backup pg much less important because he can play with Fox or without (hence, he can be a backup pg). And the backup sf shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. And like I said, you trade Bogs if you get Brogdan, get value, then get your other minor "needs" taken care of. What we really need is a better team, and getting a quality player like Brogdan can do that.
Exactly!

This guy would be a perfect fit for the team. And should be a top target for Vlade.
Kings would potentially have 4- 40+% 3 pt shooters!!
Vlade needs to snatch Brogdon up.
I would much rather spend $ on him then drop 100 + Mil on center.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Cuz he's a PG aswell? That can guard 1's, 2's and certain 3's effectively.

Exactly!

This guy would be a perfect fit for the team. And should be a top target for Vlade.
Kings would potentially have 4- 40+% 3 pt shooters!!
Vlade needs to snatch Brogdon up.
I would much rather spend $ on him then drop 100 + Mil on center.
The complicated thing is that he's a restricted FA so if they offer $$$ for him it's going to be in suspension for probably at least a week, in which case a lot of unrestricted FAs could go by the wayside. If the Kings whiff on their targeted unrestricted FAs at the beginning of the FA period then I would expect they make an offer to a guy like Brogdan because at that point they have nothing to lose.

I saw in the other thread people saying Pat Bev for 3 years 50mil is a good deal if that's the case I;'s give Brogdan 60/3years who does everything better than Pat including Pat's calling card defense. I also see people dismissing him as a "combo guard" , yeah he's a combo guard (as if hes a undersized chucker e.g prime Marcus Thornton/Ben Gordon) who could START at EITHER PG or SG on lots of teams, he's not a combo guard in the tradional sense where he's to small to be a SG while not having PG skills,, he in fact has excellent PG skills who can play both roles equally well and is strong enough to defend SF's.

Your getting a basically a PG/SG/SF who is 3 and D and can breakdown a defense. I don't think people realise maybe due to not having flashy per 36 numbers or game how good this guy is. Brogdan will help you far more than 4/90million Harrison Barnes at both ends.

I saw in the other thread people saying Pat Bev for 3 years 50mil is a good deal if that's the case I;'s give Brogdan 60/3years who does everything better than Pat including Pat's calling card defense. I also see people dismissing him as a "combo guard" , yeah he's a combo guard (as if hes a undersized chucker e.g prime Marcus Thornton/Ben Gordon) who could START at EITHER PG or SG on lots of teams, he's not a combo guard in the tradional sense where he's to small to be a SG while not having PG skills,, he in fact has excellent PG skills who can play both roles equally well and is strong enough to defend SF's.

Your getting a basically a PG/SG/SF who is 3 and D and can breakdown a defense. I don't think people realise maybe due to not having flashy per 36 numbers or game how good this guy is. Brogdan will help you far more than 4/90million Harrison Barnes at both ends.
Brogdon isn't even close to as good as Beverly defensively.

I really like Brogdon and I'd like to see the Kings go after him but you have to remember that the more he plays PG and SF, the less valuable he becomes. He's a great combo guard but he's mainly a SG. He loses effectiveness if he has to spend too much time guarding quicker players and bigger players. He's a versatile guard but he's just an average defender overall. Pat Bev is an elite defender and a dead eye 3 point shooter but even with that said, Brogdon is still the better shooter.

I think Pat Bev would help us a bit more right now because he brings an elite skill the team lacks but Brogdon might wind up just being the better player overall over the next 4 years because his offense might wind up making up for the average defense.

Brogdon isn't even close to as good as Beverly defensively.

I really like Brogdon and I'd like to see the Kings go after him but you have to remember that the more he plays PG and SF, the less valuable he becomes. He's a great combo guard but he's mainly a SG. He loses effectiveness if he has to spend too much time guarding quicker players and bigger players. He's a versatile guard but he's just an average defender overall. Pat Bev is an elite defender and a dead eye 3 point shooter but even with that said, Brogdon is still the better shooter.

I think Pat Bev would help us a bit more right now because he brings an elite skill the team lacks but Brogdon might wind up just being the better player overall over the next 4 years because his offense might wind up making up for the average defense.
Pat Bev is overrated as they come as a defender cause of his high energy he's nowhere near Brogdon, Bev commits silly fouls all the time cause he's over aggressive and he's pretty small and other than insane energy is not really "good to elite" by any stretch, Brogdan stays in front of guys as well as anyone the way he and Bledsoe bullied Fox (fastest PG in the NBA) on defense and Buddy clears up the myth he can't stay in front of "quicker" players. Brogdan is literally a brick well on defense and he losses no effectivness switching to PG in fact the Bucks completely lost the series to Toronto cause they played Bledose (out of control and garbage) at PG instead of Brogdan.

Also Brogdan right now is way better than Bev let alone in 3-4 years.

I don’t think we will be getting either Brogdon or Beverly.

I think someone like Joseph is a lot more realistic and attainable for the Kings. Will do the job without taking away what is already there.

I don’t think we will be getting either Brogdon or Beverly.

I think someone like Joseph is a lot more realistic and attainable for the Kings. Will do the job without taking away what is already there.
You are right but we should throw money at both to try, I was frustrated last season when we didn't throw any money at Marcus Smart.

Lets be honest here, Beverly will go to a contender and Brogdon is along with Middleton Bucks’s first priority. They won’t let him go. They have a reigning MvP to keep happy and they must show to him that they are serious about contending. Both Brogdon and Beverly would want to sign with a contender rather than the Kings. There will be no shortage of suitors to both. Its more than probable that Kings won’t even get a chance to meet and talk to them.

Pat Bev is overrated as they come as a defender cause of his high energy he's nowhere near Brogdon, Bev commits silly fouls all the time cause he's over aggressive and he's pretty small and other than insane energy is not really "good to elite" by any stretch, Brogdan stays in front of guys as well as anyone the way he and Bledsoe bullied Fox (fastest PG in the NBA) on defense and Buddy clears up the myth he can't stay in front of "quicker" players. Brogdan is literally a brick well on defense and he losses no effectivness switching to PG in fact the Bucks completely lost the series to Toronto cause they played Bledose (out of control and garbage) at PG instead of Brogdan.

Beverly almost made the nba all defense team with 14/20 in 1st (2 points) and 2nd (1point) place votes right behind Danny green. Brogdon got 1 vote each. Scoring wise that's 48 points to 3. So Basically 4 guards who made the teams and 1 other guard got more points than him making him considered the 6th best defensive guard in the league. I don't think he's overrated at all.

There isn't a single stat out there that backs up your opinion about their defense. They all say Pat Bev is one of the best defending point guards in the league while Brogdon is average to slightly below average.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
There isn't a single stat out there that backs up your opinion about their defense. They all say Pat Bev is one of the best defending point guards in the league while Brogdon is average to slightly below average.
I'll take Brogdan any day over Beverly. Even if you think Beverly has the edge in defense (and that's all it would be), Brogdan is head and shoulders better than Beverly on offense. Not even close. If the Kings were soooo incredibly fortunate to get Brogdan, he would instantly be a part of their core for years to come. Beverly is a stop-gap measure.