Malcolm Brogdon is the one

This to me is the guy we should go after this off-season, I wanted Marcus Smart last year but Brogdon brings what Smart brings plus IQ/playmaking and way way better shooting. I would seriously give this guy 15-17+million he can replace Boggie (trade him ) and fixes the back up PG solution and at times filling in at SF (defended Leonard well at times in the playoffs). He's the ultimate glue guy of the guard position and a pass first guy who is like the Al Horford of combo guards.

He along with a decent C is what we should be going after and we are a playoff team.

Fox/Brogdan
Hield/Brogdan
Barnes/?
Bagley/Bjelica
?/Giles

This to me is the guy we should go after this off-season, I wanted Marcus Smart last year but Brogdon brings what Smart brings plus IQ/playmaking and way way better shooting. I would seriously give this guy 15-17+million he can replace Boggie (trade him ) and fixes the back up PG solution and at times filling in at SF (defended Leonard well at times in the playoffs). He's the ultimate glue guy of the guard position and a pass first guy who is like the Al Horford of combo guards.

He along with a decent C is what we should be going after and we are a playoff team.

Fox/Brogdan
Hield/Brogdan
Barnes/?
Bagley/Bjelica
?/Giles
There's a thread on RealGM where people are predicting Brogdon's next contract. I personally think it will be more than 15-17 mil.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1849080

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Lets see, we need a backup PG, perhaps a starting center, and depth at the SF position. Right? So why in the hell are we talking about spending a boatload of money on a SG? Nothing against Brogdon. I wanted the Kings to draft him coming out of Virginia, and all I heard on this forum was that he was too old and had no upside. As much as I like Brogdon, we have more pressing needs, and that's where our attention should be.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The Kings already have a similar player in Bogdan. Both are best used in the role of combo G and there really is only room for one of those off the bench.

If the Kings can't land a solid backup PG, I'd think about Brogdon as the backup point. Decent defender, switchable, extremely efficient shooter and a good passer. He and Bogdan could run the 2nd unit together and share ball handling duties. I bet you Brogdon is a better passer than we've seen so far. The ball was dominated by Giannis, Bledsoe and Middleton in that starting lineup and Brogdon still managed to have a decent assist rate.

Wouldn't overpay for him but I'd definitely give him a shot. If he can play backup PG minutes as well as spotty minutes elsewhere, the Kings would have another almost Buddy Hield like shooter out there.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Lets see, we need a backup PG, perhaps a starting center, and depth at the SF position. Right? So why in the hell are we talking about spending a boatload of money on a SG? Nothing against Brogdon. I wanted the Kings to draft him coming out of Virginia, and all I heard on this forum was that he was too old and had no upside. As much as I like Brogdon, we have more pressing needs, and that's where our attention should be.
I couldn't disagree more. Brogdan is a better player than Hield. He's a better playmaker, better defensive player, better passer, and much higher in BBIQ, and his outside shooting ain't bad either. You win more with Brogdan at the starting two rather than Buddy. Unlike Bogs, Brogdan can take some of the ball-handling chore from Fox and be a combo guard. Brogdan starts; Hield comes off the bench and gets at least three sixth-man-of-the-year awards. Bogs gets traded for value. Kings end up with the best trio of guards in the league.

All that said, the Bucks aren't letting him go because of everything I said above.

I couldn't disagree more. Brogdan is a better player than Hield. He's a better playmaker, better defensive player, better passer, and much higher in BBIQ, and his outside shooting ain't bad either. You win more with Brogdan at the starting two rather than Buddy. Unlike Bogs, Brogdan can take some of the ball-handling chore from Fox and be a combo guard. Brogdan starts; Hield comes off the bench and gets at least three sixth-man-of-the-year awards. Bogs gets traded for value. Kings end up with the best trio of guards in the league.

All that said, the Bucks aren't letting him go because of everything I said above.
Keep and use Bogdanovic.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Well done, you entirely missed my point!

The Kings already have a similar player in Bogdan. Both are best used in the role of combo G and there really is only room for one of those off the bench.
Interesting discussion between the two. I think it does matter where Brogdon is a much better fit to flex at the 1/2, he's a better shooter, and he's certainly a better defender against opposing PG's than Bogdan is at this point. He'd be a true flex guy that would fit so well with the skill-set of Fox and Buddy. Also gives you a chance to get Bogs in a secondary-playmaker role, something he exceeded well in his rookie season.

And I do think there's some potential to scoop Brogdon with the Bucks salary situation getting really tight. Middleton is going to be their main priority, which will likely cost the max, or at least close to it. Brook Lopez, who they love, is certainly going to get a raise this off-season and Mirotic is a UFA as well. They just committed a long-term to Bledsoe for 15+ Mil a season. If we ran in with a 15-16+ mil offer for Brogdon, I don't know if the money would work out. Next season would be:

Giannis- 25 mil (with the supermax lurking after 2 more seasons, have to set the books up right)
Middleton- 25 mil (Probably on the lower end of offers he gets)
Bledsoe- 15 mil
Snell- 11 mil
Ersan- 7 mil
DJ Wilson- 2.9 mil
Divencenzo- 2.9 mil
George Hill cap hit- 1 mil
Hawes cap hit- 2 mil
Larry Sanders cap hit- 1.8 mil
=93.6 mil in salary.

Doesn't leave a lot of room for them to improve on the team, much less get all their guys back to run it back next season. They'd have to be willing to go well above the cap.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well done, you entirely missed my point!
I don't buy the rigid premise that you don't look at quality like Brogdan because of the other team needs. I wholeheartedly agree that the priority for the Kings should be a quality center. As I said last summer, WCS doesn't cut it. But sometimes you have to adjust your needs to fit the situation. What if a high value quality center cannot be convinced to come to the Kings? Then what? I also agree that the backup pg and sf position is a need. But Brogdan as a combo guard makes the need for a backup pg much less important because he can play with Fox or without (hence, he can be a backup pg). And the backup sf shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. And like I said, you trade Bogs if you get Brogdan, get value, then get your other minor "needs" taken care of. What we really need is a better team, and getting a quality player like Brogdan can do that.