Luka Doncic (the 'LET'S RE-LITIGATE THE PICK UNTO PERPETUITY~!' thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luka is a perfect example of people taking athleticism over skills too far. The kid had skills at 18 that hasn’t been seen before paired with a 6’8 frame. But no he can jump high enough so there’s no way he can be elite.

Jokic and Luka making a mockery out of athleticism and I love it. Although I do love watching Fox blow by everyone

People just do the old idiotic Tyrese Evans vs curry season like it’s the same thing
It’s not the same thing. But it could be. You never know. That’s the point. Stop making declarations midway through season 1.

Look at last years class at this time and compare it to today, just 1 year later. It’s looking a bit different. In another season, it might be different again.

We get it. Luka has lived up to the hype thus far. But it doesn’t guarantee he’s still gonna end up the best player from the draft in 2-3 more seasons. If he does, great for him and great for Dallas. But things very well could change. As a Kings fan, I hope it does and we’re laughing about it sometime in the near future.

It’s not the same thing. But it could be. You never know. That’s the point. Stop making declarations midway through season 1.

Look at last years class at this time and compare it to today, just 1 year later. It’s looking a bit different. In another season, it might be different again.

We get it. Luka has lived up to the hype thus far. But it doesn’t guarantee he’s still gonna end up the best player from the draft in 2-3 more seasons. If he does, great for him and great for Dallas. But things very well could change. As a Kings fan, I hope it does and we’re laughing about it sometime in the near future.
But.. if it's always going to change does it mean you can never make any sort of predictive statement? Who knows, maybe next year WCS will be better than KAT?

So, what’s the ideal team to put around Luka? What kind of moves will the Mavs be making at the deadline and this offseason?
With Luka/Smith I think they can take 1 more playmaker after that I’d focus on 3D guys.

Smith looks good next to Luka so he’s going nowhere. Start off by signing Brogdon than if Kawhi goes to LaC max out Tobias Harris and have a core of Smith/Brogdon/Harris/Luka

Bleacherreport’s 2018 redraft has Bagley at 7, and the 4th big behind JJJ and Carter like I’ve stated I’ve had. Bagley has looked better recently and has gotten better as the season has progressed, but as of now this wasn’t a successful draft, and I’d prefer accountability for it if it maintains this way (Doncic/Knox/Gilgeous-Alexander also ranked ahead)

Bleacherreport’s 2018 redraft has Bagley at 7, and the 4th big behind JJJ and Carter like I’ve stated I’ve had. Bagley has looked better recently and has gotten better as the season has progressed, but as of now this wasn’t a successful draft, and I’d prefer accountability for it if it maintains this way (Doncic/Knox/Gilgeous-Alexander also ranked ahead)
We are in January of year 1. This draft won't be truly graded until June of year of 2. The only assertion I will make as of now is that Doncic appears like a swing and miss. If we are in the playoffs this year or next and Bagley is a core piece of that BleacherReport's ranking will be a moot point (as they are right now...)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’m very happy with Bagley, think the future is bright and his pairing with Giles should be lots of fun. Should be. If coach allows it.

I’d be happier with Doncic though.
:p

Bagley hasn't play in a month. That's like saying Simmons rank last during rookie season cus he didn't play.

You want accountability because some bloggers don't agree with the way Vlade has miraculously produced a .500 team ahead of schedule? What kind of accountability exactly? Bloggers fired you mean?

Dallas is going to have to sign a big name free agent because if they don't I just don't see how they can assemble much more young talent around Luka. Most likely they won't have their pick next year. Luka is going to keep them good enough to avoid picking Top-5 next year (to keep their pick). He'll also keep them good enough to stay out of the top-5 the following year as well.

So you run into this problem where you have a phenomenal 19 year old that makes everybody better......but you don't have much young talent around him to make better.

Harrison Barnes sucks. He just flat out sucks at everything in basketball other than scoring. No passing, no rebounding, below average handle, no intangibles, no leadership. Total waste of a big contract and a big disappointment from his draft hype. Wes Matthews is just a bit more skilled than Barnes but the results aren't there and clearly the Achilles injury took a lot out of him. DeAndre Jordan is still a solid big man but he's getting older and he no longer impacts the game defensively like he used to. Jordan may not be on the Mavericks next year anyways. That leaves Dennis Smith Jr. as the only guy in the Mavs starting lineup with room for growth. Problem is he's a low IQ player and hasn't shown much ability to adapt.

The Kings depth level of young talent is vastly superior to the Mavericks.

Mavericks are going to have to attract a big name free agent and also hit it big on a late first round or second round pick.

Last edited:
Dallas is going to have to sign a big name free agent because if they don't I just don't see how they can assemble much more young talent around Luka. Most likely they won't have their pick next year. Luka is going to keep them good enough to avoid picking Top-5 next year (to keep their pick). He'll also keep them good enough to stay out of the top-5 the following year as well.

So you run into this problem where you have a phenomenal 19 year old that makes everybody better......but you don't have much young talent around him to make better.

Harrison Barnes sucks. He just flat out sucks at everything in basketball other than scoring. No passing, no rebounding, below average handle, no intangibles, no leadership. Total waste of a big contract and a big disappointment from his draft hype. Wes Matthews is just a bit more skilled than Barnes but the results aren't there and clearly the Achilles injury took a lot out of him. DeAndre Jordan is still a solid big man but he's getting older and he no longer impacts the game defensively like he used to. Jordan may not be on the Mavericks next year anyways. That leaves Dennis Smith Jr. as the only guy in the Mavs starting lineup with room for growth. Problem is he's a low IQ player and hasn't shown much ability to adapt.

The Kings depth level of young talent is vastly superior to the Mavericks.

Mavericks are going to have to attract a big name free agent and also hit it big on a late first round or second round pick.
Harrison Barnes is so bad man he kills the offense and Jordan plays 0 defense 0.

They have to hope Smith gets better coach has to let him play through mistakes. Trade Barnes for love atleast love will give you 17-10 than swing for Boogie in the summer

Status
Not open for further replies.