Luka Doncic (the 'LET'S RE-LITIGATE THE PICK UNTO PERPETUITY~!' thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I was wondering why Luka didn’t take Fox to the post he’s doing it this game vs a bigger guy
Because De'Aaron is already one of the better defenders in the league for stretches and was denying Luka the chance to post on a lot of possessions despite the size mismatch. Meanwhile, random Nuggets guy only playing because anyone on the team not named Jokic or Murray is injured is not.

Also Luka's teammates are making enough shots tonight that the floor's opened up for him to make more plays.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So several years back a buddy of mine and I went to a pretty nice steak and seafood place for dinner. We got there kinda late in the evening and after the waiter read off the specials he said, "Also, I should let you know that seeing as it's coming towards closing time the chef tells me we only have one lobster and one filet mignon left, so if you want one of those you'd better jump. Ready to order?"

I look at my buddy, he looks at me, and we kinda nod our heads. I made a little hand signal over to him offering to let him start off, but he said, "No, no, you go first."

"OK, well in that case I'll have the filet," I said.

"Really?" my buddy said, with a bit of incredulity in his voice. "Well, I'll have that last lobster, then!" And the waiter thanked us and headed off to the kitchen with our order.

"You know, I let you go first," my buddy said. "Why didn't you go for the lobster?"

"Lobster's good," I said, "but I really was feeling like some red meat tonight."

"Yeah, you shoulda gone for that lobster," he said.

Well, the food finally came, and let me tell you, my filet was fantastic. But there was my buddy across the table, cutting off a bit of lobster, dipping it in the drawn butter, and saying, "Daaaaamn this lobster is good. Man, you coulda had this lobster. How's that filet? Is it all right? Looks like they mighta overcooked it a bit." "Naw, man, it's great," I insisted, but he dipped into his butter again, saying, "Bro, you definitely coulda had this lobster. My God, this is amazing lobster, man. What were you thinking with that filet when you coulda had lobster? And this rice pilaf side here, this is the bomb! Got these little capers in it, man I just love me some capers. That garlic mash doing OK for you, because, man, it looks like there might be some lumps in that stuff, bro. Daaaaaamn, I never had lobster like this!" This kind of thing went on all night.

I never invited that guy out to dinner again.

When you have a bad shooting night and end up with 23-6-12 is when you know you have a franchise player on your hands
The fact is he's a franchise player since two years ago, not even just one (he wasn't elegible for the draft).
Where's the guy who preferred Mo ****in Bamba over Doncic?

The fact is he's a franchise player since two years ago, not even just one (he wasn't elegible for the draft).
Where's the guy who preferred Mo ****in Bamba over Doncic?
He probably just liked the mo Bamba song by Shaq West.

It’s still mind boggling to me that what Luka was doing to grown men in the 2nd best lwaguebin the world was dismissed

He probably just liked the mo Bamba song by Shaq West.

It’s still mind boggling to me that what Luka was doing to grown men in the 2nd best lwaguebin the world was dismissed
Even forgetting about Euroleague, he almost got a triple double (just 8 assist but 0 to) against Spain at 18 yo.
Gasol brothers, Hernangomez brothers, Rubio are not playing "overseas", everyone knows these guys.
Two of them are All Stars, one is a two time NBA champion.
Then... Rodriguez played in the NBA, Navarro played in the NBA.
And it's not a single game. 27+9 on Porzingis, 8+7 in the final before getting injured not returning at the beginning of the third quarter against Serbia.
I understand doubts on players such as Porzingis (who turns out great) or Hezonja (who still struggles), not on proven stars such as Doncic.
I'm sorry, I'm quite annoying repeating the same blablabla all the time.

So several years back a buddy of mine and I went to a pretty nice steak and seafood place for dinner. We got there kinda late in the evening and after the waiter read off the specials he said, "Also, I should let you know that seeing as it's coming towards closing time the chef tells me we only have one lobster and one filet mignon left, so if you want one of those you'd better jump. Ready to order?"

I look at my buddy, he looks at me, and we kinda nod our heads. I made a little hand signal over to him offering to let him start off, but he said, "No, no, you go first."

"OK, well in that case I'll have the filet," I said.

"Really?" my buddy said, with a bit of incredulity in his voice. "Well, I'll have that last lobster, then!" And the waiter thanked us and headed off to the kitchen with our order.

"You know, I let you go first," my buddy said. "Why didn't you go for the lobster?"

"Lobster's good," I said, "but I really was feeling like some red meat tonight."

"Yeah, you shoulda gone for that lobster," he said.

Well, the food finally came, and let me tell you, my filet was fantastic. But there was my buddy across the table, cutting off a bit of lobster, dipping it in the drawn butter, and saying, "Daaaaamn this lobster is good. Man, you coulda had this lobster. How's that filet? Is it all right? Looks like they mighta overcooked it a bit." "Naw, man, it's great," I insisted, but he dipped into his butter again, saying, "Bro, you definitely coulda had this lobster. My God, this is amazing lobster, man. What were you thinking with that filet when you coulda had lobster? And this rice pilaf side here, this is the bomb! Got these little capers in it, man I just love me some capers. That garlic mash doing OK for you, because, man, it looks like there might be some lumps in that stuff, bro. Daaaaaamn, I never had lobster like this!" This kind of thing went on all night.

I never invited that guy out to dinner again.
You should have told him he needs to wait (at least) 3 years before making a definitive opinion regarding the lobster

dude12

Hall of Famer
Even forgetting about Euroleague, he almost got a triple double (just 8 assist but 0 to) against Spain at 18 yo.
Gasol brothers, Hernangomez brothers, Rubio are not playing "overseas", everyone knows these guys.
Two of them are All Stars, one is a two time NBA champion.
Then... Rodriguez played in the NBA, Navarro played in the NBA.
And it's not a single game. 27+9 on Porzingis, 8+7 in the final before getting injured not returning at the beginning of the third quarter against Serbia.
I understand doubts on players such as Porzingis (who turns out great) or Hezonja (who still struggles), not on proven stars such as Doncic.
I'm sorry, I'm quite annoying repeating the same blablabla all the time.
I’m not so sure most people disagree with you......you realize that right? Most people think the kid is good.

I'm watching Luka score repeatedely tonight in a variety of ways with Bradley and Beverly draped all over him.

He's incredibly smooth and fluid with the ball and of course his basketball IQ is off the charts. He's really crafty at creating space and finding angles to create that space. The continued bashing of his athleticism/speed is just ridiculous. He has no problem getting where he wants to on the floor.

Ben McLemore is way faster and more athletic than Luka. The difference is Ben can't get anywhere with the ball in his hands because he can't read defensive players. He can't use subtle head and body movements to create space. He doesn't see angles developing ahead of time going into a pick-n-roll.

The more you watch Luka play the more you appreciate how amazing his cerebral approach to the game is at 19.

As a guy that was solidly on the draft Luka train before and through the draft but then changed to the ‘let’s see how things play out over the next few seasons before declaring who was the better pick’ train — the more games I see from Luka like last night — the more and more I’m gonna start wondering whether the KINGS picked Tyreke over Curry again.......

There’s a long way to go, but with seemingly every passing game the pressure on Bagley to develop and perform continues to build. That’s the reality.

Alright at this point I’m willing to admit that it seems very likely the Kings missed out on a great talent. The only way it doesn’t look bad is if Bagley become a perennial all star as well because Doncic looks like an all star already. I’m pretty disappointed but hope it works out for both teams still. However, with each passing day I feel less confident of that happening .

Alright at this point I’m willing to admit that it seems very likely the Kings missed out on a great talent. The only way it doesn’t look bad is if Bagley become a perennial all star as well because Doncic looks like an all star already. I’m pretty disappointed but hope it works out for both teams still. However, with each passing day I feel less confident of that happening .
If Fox didn’t take that next step we would’ve been ****ed.

Kids the real deal

Jackson is a good looking two way player as I watch this KIngs/Griz, it won’t just be Doncic that this pick will be weighed.
Give it a rest. For real. The Kings dont have an issue for lacking playmakers. They have an exterior/interior defense and rebounding issue.

Bagley has solved a lot of those issues when he plays. He has minor correctable issues with team defense and switching for sure, as do most rookies, but in due time he will be an absolute monster on the glass, and the help defense along with his man to man defense will be extremely positive.

Only reason why I keep responding in this thread is because when I come to the board I only go to the new threads link and this dumb thread is always up there. Like they say, curiosity killed the cat. And this kitten is on life number 7 at the moment with this thread. Some of you need to go watch Frozen and sing that little jingle, Let It Go.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Give it a rest. For real. The Kings dont have an issue for lacking playmakers. They have an exterior/interior defense and rebounding issue.

Bagley has solved a lot of those issues when he plays. He has minor correctable issues with team defense and switching for sure, as do most rookies, but in due time he will be an absolute monster on the glass, and the help defense along with his man to man defense will be extremely positive.

Only reason why I keep responding in this thread is because when I come to the board I only go to the new threads link and this dumb thread is always up there. Like they say, curiosity killed the cat. And this kitten is on life number 7 at the moment with this thread. Some of you need to go watch Frozen and sing that little jingle, Let It Go.
While I agree with your sentiment, there's no secret about what this thread is all about and who will continue to post in it. So, if anything, the "Let It Go" would more properly apply to people like you (and me) who think it's ... well ... circular in nature?

It's like walking into a bar in Oakland that has a Raiders flag, with silver and black decor, pictures of Raiders greats on the wall, etc. and expecting them to be open to a Seahawks fan coming in and telling them why they shouldn't support their team. :p

You just pointed out why Jackson should be given long consideration as a prospect here. I’m not talking about Luka. The thread is for this discussion and the many different ideas of it. I haven’t seen much discussion on Jackson at all, so I didn’t think it was redundant recently

I haven’t watched much Jackson, but his presence struck me during the game

Last edited:

So just to clarify....

You are saying the Kings made a massive mistake not drafting Luka?
You really enjoy posting in this thread?
You enjoy Kittens and Disney movies?

You just pointed out why Jackson should be given long consideration as a prospect here. I’m not talking about Luka. The thread is for this discussion and the many different ideas of it. I haven’t seen much discussion on Jackson at all, so I didn’t think it was redundant recently

I haven’t watched much Jackson, but his presence struck me during the game
I think it is actually more relevant to the Kings to focus on Jackson Vs Bagley yes. Not Luka. He is the last thing the team needs right now. Jackson, a case could be made there.

While I agree with your sentiment, there's no secret about what this thread is all about and who will continue to post in it. So, if anything, the "Let It Go" would more properly apply to people like you (and me) who think it's ... well ... circular in nature?

It's like walking into a bar in Oakland that has a Raiders flag, with silver and black decor, pictures of Raiders greats on the wall, etc. and expecting them to be open to a Seahawks fan coming in and telling them why they shouldn't support their team. :p
I get what you are saying, and I probably didnt make my point very well. It's a stupid narrative that he keeps pushing that Vlade is going to basically lose his job for picking Marv. Its dumb. Bagley is going to be really good. It's not like picking Darko. It's a stupid take.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I get what you are saying, and I probably didnt make my point very well. It's a stupid narrative that he keeps pushing that Vlade is going to basically lose his job for picking Marv. Its dumb. Bagley is going to be really good. It's not like picking Darko. It's a stupid take.
That's fine, and you thinking that it's a "stupid narrative" is a valid opinion to have. I'm pretty sure her point was closer to, they're going to keep posting in this thread, whether you think it's stupid or not. But this is the appropriate thread for such posts, and they're not breaking any board rules; as long as that doesn't change, this thread isn't going anywhere.

In other words, this thread appearing every time you click on "New posts" is kind of out of your control, but whether you read and/or reply to it is, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.