Luka Doncic (the 'LET'S RE-LITIGATE THE PICK UNTO PERPETUITY~!' thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attendance is up. Revenue is up across the board. The Kings are garnering respect from all over the league. The national media is actually talking about the Kings with respect instead of disdain. I think it's pretty obvious what ownership thinks, as evidenced by the grin on Vivek's face at Kings games. But don't let facts stand in your way.
All of that is great. We are having more fun than we’ve had as fans, that doesn’t mean it’s due to Vlade’s shrewdness if you understand what I’m saying

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Kings coach Dave Joerger on Luka Doncic: "Perhaps there was an idea that there was a ceiling on him. I don't see it, unfortunately for us. But he's great for them and he's great for our league."
I'd like to get clarification from coach on this, but I doubt anyone will ask. I took this "unfortunately" as being because we are playing against him tonight, not as in he wanted Luka as our draft pick. Coach doesn't throw shade at our team or FO like that. I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think popular opinion was already against Vlade, hence hopping onto Google and searching NBA front office rankings prior to this situation. But why trust the mind that may have flubbed such a big decision going forward? Or how to trust in the future if it looks this was with Luka?
Congratulations. Your thought process has rendered me speechless.

I think popular opinion was already against Vlade, hence hopping onto Google and searching NBA front office rankings prior to this situation. But why trust the mind that may have flubbed such a big decision going forward? Or how to trust in the future if it looks this was with Luka?
I think at the end of the day it will be the cumulative effect of all decisions, good and bad, that will be the ultimate yardstick that decides Vlade's fate as Kings GM. It will probably not be ownership's take on this or that particular move.

I'd like to get clarification from coach on this, but I doubt anyone will ask. I took this "unfortunately" as being because we are playing against him tonight, not as in he wanted Luka as our draft pick. Coach doesn't throw shade at our team or FO like that. I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
In his own words, he's responding to the idea there's a ceiling on him.

That argument has been the chief argument against drafting Luka.

Taking 30 sec to write a few sentences isn't making a mountain out of anything.

From lakersground to the rockets to the blazers boards, the consensus seems to be “damn the kings are good. So so glad they overthought themselves out of doncic. Imagine this team WITH doncic!”

From lakersground to the rockets to the blazers boards, the consensus seems to be “damn the kings are good. So so glad they overthought themselves out of doncic. Imagine this team WITH doncic!”
Chemistry is a fickle thing. Everybody loves to treat NBA rosters like the league is a video game. “Team X is good this year!! Imagine how good they would be if they added Player Y!!” As if it’s that simple. Trevor Ariza and Luc Mbah a Moute departed the Rockets in the offseason, and they’ve completely imploded. Nobody saw that coming. Sometimes you just need the right combination of guys.

You put Luka in a Kings uni and he’s forced to trade off playmaking duties with Fox. He basically becomes Bogdan Bogdanovic in that scenario, thus negating what makes him so special as a primary ballhandler (particularly since Fox isn't as well-equipped to spend a significant portion of his time off-ball). And since Bogdan Bogdanovic is already in a Kings uni, it’s hardly a mental stretch to understand why the Kings drafted Bagley.

Chemistry. Fit. Balance. These things matter to winning teams. Could Luka have fit in on this team as presently-constructed? Sure. Is it the best use of his talent to squeeze his playmaking skills into the starting unit alongside Fox’s? Probably not.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
In his own words, he's responding to the idea there's a ceiling on him.

That argument has been the chief argument against drafting Luka.

Taking 30 sec to write a few sentences isn't making a mountain out of anything.
I agree why he was responding. I don't really care what arguments have been made for or against Luka. He isn't a King, Bagley is, and that is all that matters now.

The making a molehill comment is in regards to those thinking the coach is throwing shade at the FO about Bagley, which would be totally out of character for the coach and with no rational basis other than in a few poster's melons. Coach has never said anything about not being happy with the Bagley pick or wanting Luka instead. And now, all of a sudden, he's supposed to be talking smack about the pick? Huh?

Chemistry is a fickle thing. Everybody loves to treat NBA rosters like the league is a video game. “Team X is good this year!! Imagine how good they would be if they added Player Y!!” As if it’s that simple. Trevor Ariza and Luc Mbah a Moute departed the Rockets in the offseason, and they’ve completely imploded. Nobody saw that coming. Sometimes you just need the right combination of guys.

You put Luka in a Kings uni and he’s forced to trade off playmaking duties with Fox. He basically becomes Bogdan Bogdanovic in that scenario, thus negating what makes him so special as a primary ballhandler (particularly since Fox isn't as well-equipped to spend a significant portion of his time off-ball). And since Bogdan Bogdanovic is already in a Kings uni, it’s hardly a mental stretch to understand why the Kings drafted Bagley.

Chemistry. Fit. Balance. These things matter to winning teams. Could Luka have fit in on this team as presently-constructed? Sure. Is it the best use of his talent to squeeze his playmaking skills into the starting unit alongside Fox’s? Probably not.
Exhibit A:

Jason White Chocolate and Flashy Pants William's over Mike Steady and Stoic Bibby....

Tell that to all the best teams in the league that have multiple stars, championships and perennial playoff berths.

Teams don't necessarily play their best basketball when their best player reaches his maximum statistical output. Stacking multiple #1 options on the team is how almost all the best teams have been built. Durant/Steph, Lebron/Kyrie, Harden/Paul. Even Wall/Beal, Lowry/DeRozan etc to a lesser extent. The talents of these players all conflict with each other but it makes the team better overall because it makes for max coverage over the course of a game and it gives the team multiple options every time down the court.

If two players can shoot and pass the ball, you don't pass up on one of them because it affects the stats of the first player. You pick them both because it means maximum TEAM stats...which is more important.

The fact that you can’t discuss these matters without getting personal makes you classless and the complaint will be registered

He needs to be fired for not being a good GM IMO, and not taking Luka at this point looks unforgivable under any circumstances

This isn’t the board for you to go around throwing out negativity towards Vlade. Not your board. There will be a lot of it with this Luka situation
Yea, he's going to get fired for creating an overachieving team that nobody anticipates. Yea, sure that's going to happen. You should spend more time on realGM and create more polls

Tell that to all the best teams in the league that have multiple stars, championships and perennial playoff berths.

Teams don't necessarily play their best basketball when their best player reaches his maximum statistical output. Stacking multiple #1 options on the team is how almost all the best teams have been built. Durant/Steph, Lebron/Kyrie, Harden/Paul. Even Wall/Beal, Lowry/DeRozan etc to a lesser extent. The talents of these players all conflict with each other but it makes the team better overall because it makes for max coverage over the course of a game and it gives the team multiple options every time down the court.

If two players can shoot and pass the ball, you don't pass up on one of them because it affects the stats of the first player. You pick them both because it means maximum TEAM stats...which is more important.
The difference is that I don’t think Luka is going to be in the same class as some of those names you mentioned. My opinion may be in the minority, but I think Dallas is headed for a fall in the standings, and I think Luka’s going to be a high usage/big stats/bad team kinda player for several years. I’ve said it before, but many of the advanced metrics suggest a player who’s closer to rookie Tyreke Evans than rookie James Harden.

He’s got an undeniable “it” factor. I understand why so many wish the Kings drafted him. But he’s not likely to be a plus on the defensive end anytime soon. His assist to turnover ratio is unnerving for a primary ballhandler. His first step is slow. He struggles to get by NBA wing defenders. He doesn’t get to the rim/free throw line at anywhere near the rate of a lotta the guys you listed during their respective rookie seasons. I just don’t see the “generational” talent that lots of other people see. Don’t get me wrong; he’s damn good already. He could be special. And I certainly see all-star berths in his future, but Bagley’s likely got that kind of future, as well.

That Joerger tidbit is making the rounds, whether he intended to convey anything or not. Marvin can’t feel cool with that. Gotta clear it up, but it might still linger

All of that is great. We are having more fun than we’ve had as fans, that doesn’t mean it’s due to Vlade’s shrewdness if you understand what I’m saying
Lemme get this straight, the fans are having fun and we are winning but the guy that assemble the team shouldn't get any credit. Just who the hell do you think deserve credit for the team then? It didn't just magically assemble itself

So if harden is available tomorrow and he wants to come here we say no. No way he can fit he’s too ball dominate and he and fox both get worse cause of it

dude12

Hall of Famer
So if harden is available tomorrow and he wants to come here we say no. No way he can fit he’s too ball dominate and he and fox both get worse cause of it
The Kings have something working that involves all of their team.....it’s not a Harden or CP3 iso and then everyone go spot up except maybe Capela.

We are more like the Spurs with ball movement and contributions across the board while the main guys are getting theirs. The Mavs are like the Rockets. It appears to be iso heavy for Doncic and let him create. I personally think the Mavs may be doing the kid a disservice but I haven’t watched him enough.

But back to my point, Spurs and Rockets. Completely different ways to run a team.

That's a nice straw man you're constructing there. Passing on Luka did not occur in a vacuum. The Kings didn't say no to Doncic only to walk away with nothing. They selected Marvin Bagley in the draft instead. So if the choice you're offering is between James Harden and a comparable big name talent like, say, Anthony Davis, then yes, I absolutely say no to Harden. I take Davis instead, because he fits better with our core pieces.

My problem with the way many talk about Doncic in this thread is the notion that there is somehow a massive gulf between Doncic's talent level and Bagley's talent level. Personally, I just don't see what they're seeing. I don't see a "generational" talent in Luka Doncic. Yet. There are huge gaps in Luka's game currently, just like there are huge gaps in Marvin's game currently. Either of them could be hampered by those gaps. Both of them could be hampered by those gaps. Either of them could be headed for stardom. Both of them could be headed for stardom.

Simply put, Doncic is not a sure thing. There is no combination of advanced metrics that we could throw together that illustrate how Doncic is a "generational" talent, a future hall of famer. Yes, the raw stats are impressive, but they come by way of extraordinarily high usage, and more to the point, we should be wary of all raw stats for every player in the 2018-2019 season. The freedom of movement rules and the quickening pace of the game are juicing the counting stats league-wide. It's as if steroids have come to the NBA. Per game numbers are on the rise. Guys are scoring 50 with regularity. It doesn't tell us much about what's happening on the floor.

It's taken me years to get on board with advanced metrics, but I've finally come around in the last few seasons. And there's never been a more important time to rely on advanced metrics to explain what's actually happening on an NBA court because of how deceptive the raw stats are becoming in the modern NBA. The names that get used as comparison points to Doncic are not yet instructive names to be offering. Compare the metrics of Doncic's rookie season so far to Lebron's, to Durant's, to Harden's, hell, compare it to Tyreke's. You'll see a defensively-deficient turnover machine who is shooting very well from outside, but struggles to get to the rim and isn't exactly having a very big impact on winning (especially when you take the time to examine Dallas' bench, from which much of their positive production is coming as a team).

Some of you act as if the Kings passed on a Lebron James-level talent when they passed on Luka, and that heads should roll, and that front office executives should be fired. Such a comparison is just not there. I'm not even convinced that the Kings passed on a James Harden-level talent yet. Harden could get to the rim at will as early as his rookie season.

All of this is to say, once again, that I think Luka Doncic is already very good today. But will he be great tomorrow? That's a question that is very much up for debate, despite what some of you are choosing to believe. And because it's up for debate, because it's not yet clear that Doncic is some godsend to the league, a generational talent the likes of which the NBA has never seen, I don't see how it's some massive error that the Kings' front office chose to draft Marvin Bagley, a young player who clearly has a lot of upside and an unstoppable motor to match.

He can and he will... because he is not a gaga Luka fanboy looking for soundbites to get all hopped up about.
He obviously is a Luka fanboy, that’s why he said what he said. Only question is was it intentional (I heard he hinted stuff with Rodney Hood in Memphis). Was it a brush back at the FO?

Probably not, but it was still a bad choice of words that’s now on social media blast and can linger.

dude12

Hall of Famer
That's a nice straw man you're constructing there. Passing on Luka did not occur in a vacuum. The Kings didn't say no to Doncic only to walk away with nothing. They selected Marvin Bagley in the draft instead. So if the choice you're offering is between James Harden and a comparable big name talent like, say, Anthony Davis, then yes, I absolutely say no to Harden. I take Davis instead, because he fits better with our core pieces.

My problem with the way many talk about Doncic in this thread is the notion that there is somehow a massive gulf between Doncic's talent level and Bagley's talent level. Personally, I just don't see what they're seeing. I don't see a "generational" talent in Luka Doncic. Yet. There are huge gaps in Luka's game currently, just like there are huge gaps in Marvin's game currently. Either of them could be hampered by those gaps. Both of them could be hampered by those gaps. Either of them could be headed for stardom. Both of them could be headed for stardom.

Simply put, Doncic is not a sure thing. There is no combination of advanced metrics that we could throw together that illustrate how Doncic is a "generational" talent, a future hall of famer. Yes, the raw stats are impressive, but they come by way of extraordinarily high usage, and more to the point, we should be wary of all raw stats for every player in the 2018-2019 season. The freedom of movement rules and the quickening pace of the game are juicing the counting stats league-wide. It's as if steroids have come to the NBA. Per game numbers are on the rise. Guys are scoring 50 with regularity. It doesn't tell us much about what's happening on the floor.

It's taken me years to get on board with advanced metrics, but I've finally come around in the last few seasons. And there's never been a more important time to rely on advanced metrics to explain what's actually happening on an NBA court because of how deceptive the raw stats are becoming in the modern NBA. The names that get used as comparison points to Doncic are not yet instructive names to be offering. Compare the metrics of Doncic's rookie season so far to Lebron's, to Durant's, to Harden's, hell, compare it to Tyreke's. You'll see a defensively-deficient turnover machine who is shooting very well from outside, but struggles to get to the rim and isn't exactly having a very big impact on winning (especially when you take the time to examine Dallas' bench, from which much of their positive production is coming as a team).

Some of you act as if the Kings passed on a Lebron James-level talent when they passed on Luka, and that heads should roll, and that front office executives should be fired. Such a comparison is just not there. I'm not even convinced that the Kings passed on a James Harden-level talent yet. Harden could get to the rim at will as early as his rookie season.

All of this is to say, once again, that I think Luka Doncic is already very good today. But will he be great tomorrow? That's a question that is very much up for debate, despite what some of you are choosing to believe. And because it's up for debate, because it's not yet clear that Doncic is some godsend to the league, a generational talent the likes of which the NBA has never seen, I don't see how it's some massive error that the Kings' front office chose to draft Marvin Bagley, a young player who clearly has a lot of upside and an unstoppable motor to match.
Probably the best breakdown I’ve read yet. I’m so,what baffled by the pedestal that Doncic has been put on. Talented? Yes. Generational? Not right now. His conditioning or lack of is fairly poor for an NBA player. I don’t recall a high level talent coming into the league with so much hype but is this poorly conditioned. The good thing is that is absolutely something he can control. I’m worried that Dallas is setting the kid up to fail.....kind of like the Tyreke Evans rookie year. It became about Tyreke and the team became secondary. It would be terrible for Dallas to go down the same path.

He obviously is a Luka fanboy, that’s why he said what he said. Only question is was it intentional (I heard he hinted stuff with Rodney Hood in Memphis). Was it a brush back at the FO?

Probably not, but it was still a bad choice of words that’s now on social media blast and can linger.
I meant Marvin can and will shake it off, because Marvin is not a Luka fanboy looking to distort benign compliments the coach pays the opponent. No Marvin is arguably the best NCAA talent in the draft - certainly in the convo - and he is only in Luka's shadow for a certain segment of the Kings fan base who are crazy.

You think players get butthurt when their coach says about an opponent "fill-in-the-blank is a heck of a player who really seems to have a bright future in the league. He's a handful to game plan against and I'm glad we only have to play him 2/4 times. Oh boy is he good".

Because Joerger says that stuff about players all the time man. Joerger's comments about Luka are only notable for people who are on a sidetracked reality.

So much this. And by the way, after watching the second half last night, can the Luka fans tell me if it’s a good thing that your lead guard has to back down his man from half court on every possession? Might that suggest less than adequate athleticism and a loose handle?

I meant Marvin can and will shake it off, because Marvin is not a Luka fanboy looking to distort benign compliments the coach pays the opponent. No Marvin is arguably the best NCAA talent in the draft - certainly in the convo - and he is only in Luka's shadow for a certain segment of the Kings fan base who are crazy.

You think players get butthurt when their coach says about an opponent "fill-in-the-blank is a heck of a player who really seems to have a bright future in the league. He's a handful to game plan against and I'm glad we only have to play him 2/4 times. Oh boy is he good".

Because Joerger says that stuff about players all the time man. Joerger's comments about Luka are only notable for people who are on a sidetracked reality.
That would be a lot of non biased media at this point.

The “unfortunately for us” ‘can’ be taken as unfortunate he’s not on our team

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That would be a lot of non biased media at this point.

The “unfortunately for us” ‘can’ be taken as unfortunate he’s not on our team
Of course it "can." But that wouldn't make it right. You keep talking about it being out there on social media, etc. Yes, it's out there and it's pretty much universally accepted that what Joerger DID NOT MEAN is the spin you're trying to put on it.

Quit being a troll.

So much this. And by the way, after watching the second half last night, can the Luka fans tell me if it’s a good thing that your lead guard has to back down his man from half court on every possession? Might that suggest less than adequate athleticism and a loose handle?
It might but .....

28 PTS, 6 REBS, and 9 Assists on 50% shooting speaks for itself.

He had to handle the ball last night more than normal and too much (once they put Fox on him) because both of Dallas' top two PG's were out.

Some of you guys are reaching too hard to try and insinuate that Luka sucks and/or that he is not going to get any better. I don't know how you can watch Luka play as a 19 year old with his poise and clutch ability and not be extremely impressed.

The Tyreke Evans comparisons are getting old. Tyreke didn't have Luka's basketball IQ and ability to run an offense. Those are things that you can't teach for the most part. Doncic may not have special athletic ability but he does have rare basketball acumen and that will take him far.

Does that mean the Kings made the wrong pick? No not necessarily. Time will tell. I do know one thing if Luka were on the Kings and the situations were reversed almost everybody here would be going nuts for him.

Of course it "can." But that wouldn't make it right. You keep talking about it being out there on social media, etc. Yes, it's out there and it's pretty much universally accepted that what Joerger DID NOT MEAN is the spin you're trying to put on it.

Quit being a troll.
Not true at all

Type Joerger - Bagley on Twitter now and see what comes up.

Quit being a overbearing homer moderator

The Joerger comments are a bit startling on paper but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Joerger seems to have a sense of humor about things and a lot of the things he says comes with a smirk attached to it. If that's what he actually said I think context is important.

It might but .....

28 PTS, 6 REBS, and 9 Assists on 50% shooting speaks for itself.

He had to handle the ball last night more than normal and too much (once they put Fox on him) because both of Dallas' top two PG's were out.

Some of you guys are reaching too hard to try and insinuate that Luka sucks and/or that he is not going to get any better. I don't know how you can watch Luka play as a 19 year old with his poise and clutch ability and not be extremely impressed.

The Tyreke Evans comparisons are getting old. Tyreke didn't have Luka's basketball IQ and ability to run an offense. Those are things that you can't teach for the most part. Doncic may not have special athletic ability but he does have rare basketball acumen and that will take him far.

Does that mean the Kings made the wrong pick? No not necessarily. Time will tell. I do know one thing if Luka were on the Kings and the situations were reversed almost everybody here would be going nuts for him.
He is impressive. And for the record he has more professional experience than the PG he faced last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.