Looking back ... KF members react to Adelman's departure

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Talking about Kevin Martin's winning shot in the 2006 playoffs against the Spurs got me thinking about how it was back then. I looked in our really old threads and found this:

http://www.kingsfans.com/threads/marty-mac-maloofs-handling-of-decision-was-gutless.12635/

What's interesting, besides Marty Mac's take in the article quoted in the initial post, is the first hints that the Maloofs might just be up to something.

We used to say Petrie could smell the milk starting to turn a day before anyone. It looks like some of us were getting a sniff of Maloofian duplicity even then.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
VF21 said:
Sorry, I disagree. What they did WAS gutless. Even if the Bee didn't say it, it's still pretty much the talk of the town on all the TV stations, radio, etc. Right now, the emperor has no clothes. I'm personally glad the local press isn't trying to convince people otherwise.
Good to know when my complete mistrust of the Maloofs actually started. :p

I wonder what ricks up to these days, that decision is still haunting us. Its only now after 15+ years that we have a decent coach.

ahh how things move in Sacramento...

I wonder what ricks up to these days, that decision is still haunting us. Its only now after 15+ years that we have a decent coach.

ahh how things move in Sacramento...
We had a decent coach in Malone albeit not as good as Adelman. Finally we have a good coach in Joerger over a decade later. That in itself is laughable.

We had a decent coach in Malone albeit not as good as Adelman. Finally we have a good coach in Joerger over a decade later. That in itself is laughable.
yeah, the Malone era is too hard to reflect on.

Young coach and young superstar. We had it all. Anyway, this is life

Yeah, the Adelman decision was the tip of the iceberg with regard to the Maloof's handcuffing Geoff Petrie and his decision making.

Next was limiting payroll. Petrie couldn't get the coaches or players HE wanted.

I firmly believe (and said so on another fan site before I joined this one) that had Geoff Petrie been completely in charge, the Kings would have drafted Steph Curry over Tyreke Evans. Curry was everything Petrie looked for in a player and fit his draft M.O. i.e. good shooters and passers. Tyreke was a Maloof draft pick .. pure and simple. Remember Gavin's "well, it's changing" rant?

Then, I still believe Cousins gets drafted in 2010 due to his all around shooting and passing skills too. But I highly doubt Jimmer was a Petrie selection in 2011. That again wreaked of Maloof intervention as they loved the marquee name.

Petrie wasn't above making mistakes, but those draft picks were ones I always felt had the Maloofs fingerprints all over them. And when you look at it as a whole, it's easy to see that it all started with the Adelman firing and continued on fr

Sorry, I had to work like hell to post the above and couldn’t finish it. I’ve been getting ‘internal server’ errors all day. I thought that problem was a thing of the past?

Some posts just won’t go through no matter what I do. Today is the first time it’s happened to me in a while.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sorry, I had to work like hell to post the above and couldn’t finish it. I’ve been getting ‘internal server’ errors all day. I thought that problem was a thing of the past?

Some posts just won’t go through no matter what I do. Today is the first time it’s happened to me in a while.
I've found multiple quotes and emoticons to sometimes cause the problem. I'll bring it to Jeremy's attention. It might be because we're currently experiencing a very high number of registrations from Vietnam spammers we moderators are trying to deal with as soon as we see them. Luckily, since we use moderator approval for new accounts, they haven't actually been posted publicly. Just makes more of a hassle for us to deal with.

I've found multiple quotes and emoticons to sometimes cause the problem. I'll bring it to Jeremy's attention. It might be because we're currently experiencing a very high number of registrations from Vietnam spammers we moderators are trying to deal with as soon as we see them. Luckily, since we use moderator approval for new accounts, they haven't actually been posted publicly. Just makes more of a hassle for us to deal with.
Yeah, I kinda figured out the emoticon thing. I always remove them when replying to someone else. I did have some quotes, but that's it. It still posted, but won't allow me to edit anymore.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think part of the problem is the huge cache of banned accounts (from the aforementioned spammers) that hasn't yet cleared. Last time this happened, Jeremy was able to deal with it.

Yeah, the Adelman decision was the tip of the iceberg with regard to the Maloof's handcuffing Geoff Petrie and his decision making.

Next was limiting payroll. Petrie couldn't get the coaches or players HE wanted.

I firmly believe (and said so on another fan site before I joined this one) that had Geoff Petrie been completely in charge, the Kings would have drafted Steph Curry over Tyreke Evans. Curry was everything Petrie looked for in a player and fit his draft M.O. i.e. good shooters and passers. Tyreke was a Maloof draft pick .. pure and simple. Remember Gavin's "well, it's changing" rant?

Then, I still believe Cousins gets drafted in 2010 due to his all around shooting and passing skills too. But I highly doubt Jimmer was a Petrie selection in 2011. That again wreaked of Maloof intervention as they loved the marquee name.

Petrie wasn't above making mistakes, but those draft picks were ones I always felt had the Maloofs fingerprints all over them. And when you look at it as a whole, it's easy to see that it all started with the Adelman firing and continued on fr
I think we still would have drafted Tyreke to be honest. However, we also would have drafted Klay Thompson instead of Jimmer and Lillard instead of Robinson.

I think we still would have drafted Tyreke to be honest. However, we also would have drafted Klay Thompson instead of Jimmer and Lillard instead of Robinson.
In hindsight, I could have gone for that.

Although I do have to admit, I wasn't big on Klay coming out. Didn't want much to do with him. Gotta admit when I'm flat wrong. But I did like Lillard and was miffed when we passed on him.

Circling back to Tyreke and Curry, I just feel Steph was more Petrie's type of player. He would have filled the Bibby role perfectly. Of course nobody knew just how transcendent he would eventually become. I just think they ended up drafting Tyreke because he beat the others 1on1 and the Maloofs were greatly impressed by that. They thought they were getting a dominant 1on1 go to player.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
In hindsight, I could have gone for that.

Although I do have to admit, I wasn't big on Klay coming out. Didn't want much to do with him. Gotta admit when I'm flat wrong. But I did like Lillard and was miffed when we passed on him.

Circling back to Tyreke and Curry, I just feel Steph was more Petrie's type of player. He would have filled the Bibby role perfectly. Of course nobody knew just how transcendent he would eventually become. I just think they ended up drafting Tyreke because he beat the others 1on1 and the Maloofs were greatly impressed by that. They thought they were getting a dominant 1on1 go to player.
Wasn't the talk about Evans or Rubio?

Wasn't the talk about Evans or Rubio?
Not for me. :) Like you, I never liked Rubio. I wanted nothing to do with him or Johnny Flynn.

I think there was a lot of fan buzz for Rubio, but I don't believe Petrie or the Maloofs were ever that high on him. I know Petrie had Curry in for workouts a couple times and he was a possibility. But the Maloofs won out.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not for me. :) Like you, I never liked Rubio. I wanted nothing to do with him or Johnny Flynn.

I think there was a lot of fan buzz for Rubio, but I don't believe Petrie or the Maloofs were ever that high on him. I know Petrie had Curry in for workouts a couple times and he was a possibility. But the Maloofs won out.
But ... but... but ... Ailene Voison wanted him so badly. :p