Mark Kreidler: The first call needed to be to Adelman

Mark Kreidler: The first call needed to be to Adelman

The Kings coach isn't naïve, but the Maloofs should have told him of their interest in Phil Jackson.

By Mark Kreidler -- Bee Sports Columnist
Published 2:15 am PDT Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Rick Adelman deserved the first call. That's all.

Adelman doesn't require your sympathy. He's in the coaching business, and he has been for a long time. He knows the drill.

Adelman knows that NBA coaching jobs come with good salaries, comfortable living, charter flights and all the random garbage and abuse a body can stand. They come complete with 24/7 fan input, emotional owners, outsized expectations, players of varying loyalty and rampant, wholesale employment insecurity.

He knows the same thing every professional or high-profile college coach knows, which is that he's pretty much always just about to be replaced. Longevity, in coaching, comes down to how long you can make the "just about" part stretch out.

So don't spend a minute worrying over Adelman's "state of mind" in the Phil Jackson flirtation. Adelman is a pro. He'll deal with it.

But he sure as heck deserved the call, the one that told him this was coming.

He never got it.

Ask this: For what?

For what was Adelman shunned, clocking in with 50 victories and a playoff No. 6 seed with a team that was torn apart and Krazy-Glued back together in February?

For going out in the first round against the third seed? For being on the wrong end of lopsided leads in the Seattle series while working with Brad Miller and Bobby Jackson for the first time in months?

For not being tough enough? Losing a playoff game at home? Failing to stop Jerome James with his merry cast of small forwards and Greg Ostertag?

The whole thing's a giant giggle. Adelman getting 50 wins out of a roster that by the end of the season had only four names on it from the 2004 team might not be like squeezing water from a rock, but it was the kind of coaching job that very, very few NBA people could have done.

Still, a little perspective is in order. Adelman has been in Sacramento for seven years, which equals, let me see here, 125 years on the coaching scale. At some point, a certain segment of the fan/media/ownership base is going to stand up strongly in favor of Anybody Who Isn't Him.

So grant the Maloofs their wanderlust.

And now ask this: For whom?

For whom is Adelman being shunned? Phil Jackson? Wow, you sure? Because at this point, it seems to me, the Maloof family is dealing strictly with the idea of Jackson, not the actual man.

The actual Phil Jackson is meeting with the Los Angeles Lakers first, the New York Knicks second and the rest of the field third, including but not limited to Minnesota (unlikely), Portland (nope) and Sacramento (redneck central, when last we checked in with Zen).

Now, though, Jackson is said to be intrigued by the Kings - and you bet. He's intrigued at the possibility that the mere notion of Sacramento landing him as a coach might send Jerry Buss scurrying to a luncheon eager to make peace and sign Phil to a fat new contract. He's intrigued that the Kings might help him drive up his own price and make his demands all the more palatable in Lakerland.

The Kings have talent, absolutely, but when was the last time anyone called them a championship contender? And absent that curb appeal, what are the other factors that would bring Jackson to Sacramento? The media hordes? His children over in the Bay Area? Part ownership in the Palms?

Please. If Jackson is going to need to take time to get another winner, he's going to pass that time in L.A. He has the home there, the girlfriend there, the front office already familiar, Bryant and the roster waiting. It makes sense.

I don't blame the Maloofs for casting a line in the water. The legend surrounding Jackson and his nine NBA championship rings so long ago surpassed the reality that the mere mention of his name would be worth something in ticket sales, in new-arena momentum and the like.

The truth, though, is less forgiving. Part of Jackson's magic came in massaging and handling the egos of superstars such as Michael Jordan in Chicago and Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant in L.A. - and Shaq and Kobe not so much, over those dysfunctional final 18 months or so. Phil's a very good coach but also a great career strategist. He's not jumping back into the NBA to finish fifth and maybe win a playoff round. He wants that 10th ring, and his history says he needs a true superstar to get it.

Still, the Maloofs aren't afraid to take the shot. And that would be wholly laudatory were it not for the fact Adelman didn't so much as receive a call.

I can safely say the family didn't want its pursuit of Jackson to become broad public knowledge; but once it did, either Joe or Gavin Maloof owed Adelman the first call. It's still stunning to think it didn't happen, that Adelman had to find out through other avenues.

Perhaps the Maloofs are so accustomed to having Geoff Petrie do that kind of thing that they genuinely didn't know how to proceed in Petrie's illness-related absence. Then again, Joe knew enough to call Phil Jackson's agent himself.

There was one other call he should have made, the one to the head coach who is under contract for next season. Adelman will deal with it. It doesn't make it right.

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=143411#post143411

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
First, I feel I should apologize to Ailene Voisin for assuming she had taken a tiny factoid or rumor and run with it because of her well-known hatred for Rick Adelman. I made some pretty strong comments and, as it turns out, I was - quite simply - wrong. Shame on me.

Second, I am virtually without words to express my disappointment over Joe Maloof apparently thinking it would be okay to contact ANY potential new coach or his representatives without at least letting Rick Adelman know something was going on. Shame on him.

Third, I'm glad Kreidler set the record straight, at least as far as those of us who were convinced Voisin was simply using Adelman for target practice while she attempted to further her favorite theory du jour.

My respect for the Maloofs took a little bit of a hit. Rick Adelman did, as Kreidler so aptly pointed out, deserve to be told before he read it in the Sacramento Bee.

Petrie has always been notoriously tight-lipped about his wheelings and dealings, as we all know. But if anyone needed proof - notice how when he goes into the hospital and is recovering for a couple of days the front office starts leaking like a submarine with a screen door? This controversy/slight to Adelman wouldn't have happened if Petrie had been well at the time, IMHO. Lesson learned, hopefully.

I was wondering where the leak came from. Was it from the Kings side or did jackson find another way to stick it to the Kings. When the Kings were trying to be sneaky and do something in the dark did Jackson (or his reps) turn the light on and blow the whole thing up. I can just see him when the Kings and Lakers play (if he's there) trying to throw that in RA face.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Voisin said it was from sources close to the Maloofs who spoke only with the condition their identity be protected. If it came from within the Jackson camp, I'm sure she would have made that distinction.

Yeah ... this is kind of a cheap shot from the Kings owners. It just seems very sneaky and spineless. I dislike Adelman very much, but the Maloofs should have enough respect for themselves and for the man to tell him straight in his face: "You're still our coach, but only if we can't replace you with anyone better..."

My guess is that they thought they could get away with gauging Jackson's interest without letting it go public, or even letting Adelman know. It sounded from one of the reports like they spoke to Petrie first, although that would really surprise me that he would go along with this kind of move behind his friend, Adelman's back.

sloter said:
Exactly, but if you're gonna do that you gotta be smart enough for noone to find out.
This way they look spineless AND stupid.
Yup. Definitely a bad idea to start with that got even worse when it backfired.

VF21 said:
Second, I am virtually without words to express my disappointment over Joe Maloof apparently thinking it would be okay to contact ANY potential new coach or his representatives without at least letting Rick Adelman know something was going on. Shame on him.
Why wouldn't it be okay to contact another potential coaching candidate without letting your current employee know about it? It is a business. I don't think Maloofs have any obligation to Adelman regarding who they should pursue to run their team or business.
I am sure we all have the experience of our bosses coming to us and politely asking if we would mind if they go and try to find a replacement for us.:)

Remember, this is a business. If I get laid off my job, they aren't going to call me first and tell me. Same thing here. I totally agree that Adelman should have been at least called and informed of the decision to persue Jackson. He deserves at least that much respect. I think they are jumping the gun a little. If you look at what happened to the Kings roster this year, Adelman did good to get 50 wins, and the changes were out of his control. If Jackson comes in and wins a championship then everything that is happening right now is forgotten. :cool:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
uolj said:
My guess is that they thought they could get away with gauging Jackson's interest without letting it go public, or even letting Adelman know. It sounded from one of the reports like they spoke to Petrie first, although that would really surprise me that he would go along with this kind of move behind his friend, Adelman's back.
I think the problem was they DIDN'T speak to Petrie because he was busy having a life-saving procedure done. So, fearing they might miss the boat if they didn't act quickly, they made a bad judgment call, not realizing it would make a juicy tidbit for someone to pass on to Voisin...

This makes twice the Maloofs have made an effort to steal from LA. First, Shaq and now Jackson. I have to be honest - my unbridled enthusiasm for them as owners is taking a big hit. I do not want Laker cast-offs. (Yeah, it's childish but I don't want us to finally win the big show at the expense of being forever ridiculed by Laker fans...)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
forza kings said:
Why wouldn't it be okay to contact another potential coaching candidate without letting your current employee know about it? It is a business. I don't think Maloofs have any obligation to Adelman regarding who they should pursue to run their team or business.
I am sure we all have the experience of our bosses coming to us and politely asking if we would mind if they go and try to find a replacement for us.:)
You cannot compare most jobs to that of NBA coaches. Well, you can but it makes no sense.

If you read the article by Marty McNeal, you'll see how this made Adelman feel.

Sorry, but you can run a business AND do things above-board and honestly. Adelman is a pro and he would have understood if the Maloofs had said, "Hey, we're gonna see if there's any way we could get Jackson. We really appreciate what you've done for us and our franchise but if we can get Jackson we'll have to seriously consider it." That would have been honorable.

They may not have a legal obligation but there's a certain bond that should exist, especially when they have a loyal coach who has done his best under some very difficult conditions.

Read Kreidler's article again. He pretty much spells out how it should have been handled and why.

VF21 said:
You cannot compare most jobs to that of NBA coaches. Well, you can but it makes no sense.

If you read the article by Marty McNeal, you'll see how this made Adelman feel.

Sorry, but you can run a business AND do things above-board and honestly. Adelman is a pro and he would have understood if the Maloofs had said, "Hey, we're gonna see if there's any way we could get Jackson. We really appreciate what you've done for us and our franchise but if we can get Jackson we'll have to seriously consider it." That would have been honorable.

They may not have a legal obligation but there's a certain bond that should exist, especially when they have a loyal coach who has done his best under some very difficult conditions.

Read Kreidler's article again. He pretty much spells out how it should have been handled and why.
I agree with everything you said. Adelman should have been called.

i'm actually not all that surprised that Adelman didn't get the call first.

look what happened to Jon Barry and Scot Pollard. Both of them found out about their trades from someone else before they heard it from the front office.

This does however lower my respect for the Maloofs a little more then the first two did..

and this is probably why..."They may not have a legal obligation but there's a certain bond that should exist, especially when they have a loyal coach who has done his best under some very difficult conditions."-VF21

I'm just curious. Lets say that we go after Jackson and pursue it heavily. However, Jackon decides that he would go to the Lakers/Knicks. With Adelman back, would this hurt the Maloof-Adelman realtionship? I know that Adelman is a pro, but would he have a strained view on this and hold a grudge against ownership? Because honestly, I don't see the Kings getting Jackson and the situation is getting very sticky.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Adelman is a professional. He's in the last year of a contract extension. He will honor his contract. Whether or not the relationship off the court is strained any, that will remain to be seen. Why would he hold a grudge and what would he do about it if he did?

It's not the playground. It's big business. If anything, this might make Adelman more inclined to look at other options but that's a guess.

Bottom line is that this is a business.

How many managers do you know that let you or friends know a month ahead of time if they were going to be fired? I know of none. What is the difference?

No matter how emotionally tied we are to the team the fact is that this is a business. Let them run the biz like they want to.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So the repayment to Adelman for a job well done under difficult circumstances AND a mid-season contract extension is to learn via Ailene Voisin that the Maloofs might be trying to replace him?

Sorry, BW, but that blows big chunks, business or no business. In a successful business, you have integrity. That means you do things above board, especially with key personnel who have served you well. Adelman isn't being fired. He hasn't done a bad job. The Maloofs wanted to explore the chance of bringing what some think is the best coach alive to Sacramento. They could have been open about it with Adelman. Why shouldn't they be?

If they would have been able to get in touch with Petrie - who should have been doing any negotiating in the first place - I"m quite sure he would have made certain Adelman knew before Ailene Voisin, for God's sake.

I'm more concerned about the coach's relationship with the players. Adelman is in his last year of a contract extension. If the players feel that Adelman is not going to hang around they will have little reason to listen to him. The Maloofs have done a serious job of eroding any confidence the players have for Coach. When the team returns to training camp the Maloofs need to do everything they can to heal the wound this caused.

Kings-Lakers-Fan said:
I'm just curious. Lets say that we go after Jackson and pursue it heavily. However, Jackon decides that he would go to the Lakers/Knicks. With Adelman back, would this hurt the Maloof-Adelman realtionship? I know that Adelman is a pro, but would he have a strained view on this and hold a grudge against ownership? Because honestly, I don't see the Kings getting Jackson and the situation is getting very sticky.

D

DeAtHrOw

The saddest part in all this is that Jackson has no interest what's so ever in coaching the Kings. Mark put it pretty well when he wrote... "He's intrigued that the Kings might help him drive up his own price and make his demands all the more palatable in Lakerland."

And that's all there is to it.

I agree 100% VF, RA should of been contacted first.

The thing is I know of no friends, associates that were ever given a heads up before the axe fell.

Its all business. It sucks for us fans that put 100% of our emotions in the team but it happens. It sucks to see our friends get the boot also.

I don't agree with it either.

An example as a Dallas Cowboys fan since I was 7 how do you think I felt when JJ took the team over and gave Landry the boot? In contrast after the rings were falling from the sky how do you think I felt?

One of the things that I have enjoyed the most about the Kings over the seasons is the "family type closeness" they have seemed to have - their famous LOCKER ROOM CHEMISTRY. It makes me sad when I hear statements such as "It's just buisness." Of course it is, but it used to be MORE than that. There has to be a balance. Yes, the team needs to make money for the owners. Moves need to be made to improve the roster and team as a whole. I just want things to be done the right way. While the Maloofs were not obligated by their job to let Adleman know, they should have felt obligated based on the relationship and his service to the team.

So much for nice guys huh? Seriously, I am sure they are nice guys, but they are businessmen first and this should serve notice to Sacramento. This (along with their willingness to blow up the team) shows that there really is no such thing as "loyalty" in the NBA. I am more convinced than ever that if the Maloofs do not get their arena and if it is beneficial to them financially they would have no qualms about moving the Kings franchise no matter how many loyal fans there are in Sacramento.

I have also heard rumors that the Maloofs made the talks with Jackson's agent well known to send a message to Rick Adelman. So it may be nothing more than that.