Looking ahead to the 2022 Draft

And after seeing Fox used correctly AGAIN, I'd want 2 firsts and Simmons for a player like Fox.
I’m not convinced. Fox can put 40-10-10 in the first half next year, but if the Kings are at the bottom of the league, that runway for Fox and Monte will be short. I think there is only one way to win with Fox and that model is the AI 76ers model, which means we’ll be having threads questioning why Fox and Domas can’t play with each other.

No. They wanted 3 firsts along with Fox before the season started.
Fox wasn’t shopped until the period leading to the trade deadline. Monte was on record saying he wanted to see how things went before considering breaking up the Fox, Hali, and Mitchell back court. Of course, he assumed Mitchell could guard 1-4, Hali wouldn’t become the best player if the three, and Fox wouldn’t come into the season overweight and regress across the board.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If we like someone in the 12 range maybe we could swing a trade with OKC? They have 3 picks in the first round and need to start consolidating. If we end up 8th maybe we trade that for 12, 30 and 34.
I'm not opposed to moving the pick for acquiring another pick in the first round, but not until after the lottery. To move from 7 to 12 or so is one thing, but if we jump up into the top two, then all bets are off..

Wish I could find and open the site.
Davis would be an interesting pick considering he’s another guard but this is a conversation I’ve had with another poster here who believes in time he can play SF due to how strong he is. I don’t know about that he’s 6’5”.
If he is the BPA and Monte is high on him then is it the last we see of DDV who wants to start. Davis may be better than any SG we currently have and we’re looking for a solid three players to build around.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Davis would be an interesting pick considering he’s another guard but this is a conversation I’ve had with another poster here who believes in time he can play SF due to how strong he is. I don’t know about that he’s 6’5”.
If he is the BPA and Monte is high on him then is it the last we see of DDV who wants to start. Davis may be better than any SG we currently have and we’re looking for a solid three players to build around.
Yeah I think his best position is probably SG but physically and skillwise he’s much more of a 2/3 SG like Bogi than a 2/1 like Haliburton.

That's the thing though, the Kings biggest need is probably a real SG after the trades. They have mostly combo types there still and traded the only real SG in Buddy and let the other go the year prior in Bogdan. Terence Davis is the only other one close but he's still kind of a combo/slasher. Donte is a FA, not a true SG, and certainly not a SG/SF from what we saw last season. In terms of potential Johnny Davis is better than anyone on the Kings easily. He's also a legit 2 way player and as of now the best on both ends in terms of what is available at 5-10. You get defense with that face up, one on one game. He's a SG/SF for sure with some potential to run offense. He also gets in there and does the dirty work on the boards.

That's the thing though, the Kings biggest need is probably a real SG after the trades. They have mostly combo types there still and traded the only real SG in Buddy and let the other go the year prior in Bogdan. Terence Davis is the only other one close but he's still kind of a combo/slasher. Donte is a FA, not a true SG, and certainly not a SG/SF from what we saw last season. In terms of potential Johnny Davis is better than anyone on the Kings easily. He's also a legit 2 way player and as of now the best on both ends in terms of what is available at 5-10. You get defense with that face up, one on one game. He's a SG/SF for sure with some potential to run offense. He also gets in there and does the dirty work on the boards.
I certainly wouldn't be upset if we wound up with Davis but I do think that SF/PF is a bigger need currently. If a player can help with interior defense and shoot, that would probably be the biggest current need.

Pretty convincing argument. I appreciate it as I expect Davis to be there when we pick especially with Sharpe pushing him back a bit. Also good to be as strong as possible in three positions and build around that.

That hasn’t always been the case but now I believe your right.
To bad, I like all the free draft sources I can get.
LMK what you're interested in. I can snipe some tidbits.

Besides Mathurin going 10, Daniels going 11, and Dieng going 12, the biggest surprise to me was how they have Keegan Murray rated as a PF/C. I've never seen him as a 5. I don't see how he can operate as one in the league.

Besides Mathurin going 10, Daniels going 11, and Dieng going 12, the biggest surprise to me was how they have Keegan Murray rated as a PF/C. I've never seen him as a 5. I don't see how he can operate as one in the league.
Thanks for that. I would pretty much be happy just knowing Givony’s updated top 14. That won’t tell why someone is rising or falling but he seems to be pretty well dialled in and its a recent evaluation.
Im getting a pretty good idea from other sites and poster feedback on this board on players bios, strengths etc..

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

I think he could play some small ball 5 (in the same way that Harrison Barnes used to play the 5 in those Warrior death lineups) but I definitely wouldn’t want him to be playing that spot full time

10, 11, and 12 are too low and will end up being better than most of the 1-9 picks. I would lean #11 (Mathurin), but I think Monte would pick #10 (Daniels). Though I can see #12 (Dieng) ending up as the best player in this class.
Dieng is intriguing. I’m almost rooting for the Kings to move up to 4 in the lottery, and then trade back down for Dieng and another asset. Too wild?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Thanks for that. I would pretty much be happy just knowing Givony’s updated top 14. That won’t tell why someone is rising or falling but he seems to be pretty well dialled in and its a recent evaluation.
Im getting a pretty good idea from other sites and poster feedback on this board on players bios, strengths etc..
1. Chet Holmgren -Rockets (The Sengun/Chet/Wood front court would rule the world)
2. Jabari Smith-Magic (If Orlando wound up with the second pick, I could see them going with Paolo simply because he's a shot creator and they currently have none of those)
3. Paolo Banchero -Pistons (Not sure how many minutes he'd get playing behind superstar Marvin Bagley --and Jerami Grant)
4. Jaden Ivey -OKC (Not sure why they're doing this when they've already got their point guard locked up for the next five years at the max but it's an upside swing)
5. Keegan Murray -Pacers (Pacers would replace TJ Warren with a better shooting version of TJ Warren)
6. Shaedon Sharpe -Blazers
7. Johnny Davis -Kings
8. AJ Griffin -Pelicans (If anything, they're the guys who should be looking to draft Johnny Davis to play him next to CJ in the backcourt).
9. Jalen Duren -Spurs (Perfect landing spot for him. Pop would probably turn him into a star)
10. Dyson Daniels -Wizards (Would somehow make their logjam at the 2/3/4 spot even worse)
11. Bennedict Mathurin -Knicks (would make Fournier the most expensive 6th man in the league)
12. Ousmane Dieng -OKC (What's better than one Josh Giddey? TWO Josh Giddeys!)
13. Mark Williams -Hornets (Bye bye Richaun to the Hornets rumors)
14. Ochai Agbaji -Cavs (This pick would make so much sense for the Cavs)
15. Jeremy Sochan -Hornets

Last edited:
I think he could play some small ball 5 (in the same way that Harrison Barnes used to play the 5 in those Warrior death lineups) but I definitely wouldn’t want him to be playing that spot full time
Yea, I can see 4/3, but a true small ball 5, who operates there like 30% of the time? I just don't see that. At all.

Dieng is intriguing. I’m almost rooting for the Kings to move up to 4 in the lottery, and then trade back down for Dieng and another asset. Too wild?
No, I'm with you. I think he has a chance to be the best player from this draft. Though I think Dieng will end up going top 5 when it's all said and done.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
No, I'm with you. I think he has a chance to be the best player from this draft. Though I think Dieng will end up going top 5 when it's all set and done.
Yeah, this draft has the potential to be truly wild because there are like fivedifferent high upside guys that I can totally see a random GM going crazy for and drafting way above mock (Sharpe/Dieng/Sochan/Daniels/Eason). I could see a guy like Kendall Brown absolutely crushing the measurement and metrics at the combine and rising into the top ten too.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
They had us taking Terquavion Smith at 37 overall and Keon Ellis at 48 overall in the second round as well so that we can have a logjam at the shooting guard position again for some reason.

Yeah, this draft has the potential to be truly wild because there are like fivedifferent high upside guys that I can totally see a random GM going crazy for and drafting way above mock (Sharpe/Dieng/Sochan/Daniels/Eason). I could see a guy like Kendall Brown absolutely crushing the measurement and metrics at the combine and rising into the top ten too.
I think after the top 3, you could make an argument for who comes next. What's funny is, the three guys who I think has a chance to be in that top 3 group during a re-draft after 5 years is Mathurin, Daniels, and Dieng. For different reasons. I'm not counting Sharpe, because I haven't seen him. And I hate going off of HS film, because of the disparity in competition. For every Garnet or Kobe or Lebron that makes that jump from HS there are tons of HS players, who are very ordinary or flame out. Just using recent bruins, here's the dudes, who were #1 in their HS class, but turned out to be ordinary: Ariza (above average 3 and D), Kevan Looney (role playing 4/5), and Shabazz Muhammad (2/3, who was a bench player). All three looked world class in HS.

Yeah, I was going to post this but you beat me to it. He looks good in this workout, but it is just that, a workout. One takeaway though is his lightning quick first step, which I noticed in his highschool film as well.
That and his jumper looked good. Looks like he plays bigger as well

I certainly wouldn't be upset if we wound up with Davis but I do think that SF/PF is a bigger need currently. If a player can help with interior defense and shoot, that would probably be the biggest current need.
I agree, there are needs there but right now you're seeing teams get away with role player 3/D types at that spot. Also, we have to see what happens with Barnes. Is he going to stay at SF? Or play more and more PF moving on? They also just traded for Holiday who can spot minutes on the combo F and didn't look nearly as good at SG. The Kings have literally no real long term player at that SG/SF spot currently. TD has 1 year, Donte is a FA and looking for a 10+ million deal and possibly a starting spot. Thankfully for Monte, Davis isn't the only option either, this is a draft loaded with really good G's. The trades cleared all that clutter, in fact, a little too well maybe.