Looking Ahead to Next Season...

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If Gay comes back, all you have for Gordon is 14 backup minutes. And as for shooting Kawhi showed nice FT shooting, which is usually much better indicator of shooting mechanics, touch and consistency: .726 and .759 for two seasons, plus upward trends in both FT% and 3pt%. I bet, you wouldn't find any player in the history of NBA, who went from shooting under .500 from FT line in college to averaging at least .333 on 2 3pt shots per game in NBA. I guess, guy like Gordon who is certainly smart and hard-working might as well be the one to defy the odds, but those are not promising. But my main issue with Gordon is that he didn't look that good playing SF in college, while being pretty impressive, when moved to PF after Ashley's injury.
At this point best scenario appears to be one similar to Jimmer draft: trade down, nabbing WCS in the process.
P.S. McDermott doesn't belong in the middle of the lottery.
Best scenario would be lucking out and getting the first pick in the draft and picking Embiid.

Ok, instead of "best" read "best realistic". :p
Embiid is really scary with now two back problem episodes: I have no expertise, so won't offer any amateur opinions, but if something is bothering a player repeatedly by the age of 20, especially something, for which the only cure is rest, it might be here to stay, when he increases workload (diminishes rest) a couple of times at least.
http://regressing.deadspin.com/just-how-serious-is-joel-embiids-injury-1542399946

If Rudy commits long term to Sacramento, I would be all for trading down for pass first PG we can't get a top 5 pick.
There is an international prospect in Vasilije Micic, who would be most likely gonna be available at late first.

The kid actually got a good speed for his size and he has natural PG instinct at 6'5".
Looking at the Vazquez trade, I think PDA or Malone would not mind having a quicker Vazquez next to DMC.

In the second round, there is another international prospect who could follow the Marc Gasol path in Jusuf Nurkic.

If Rudy commits long term to Sacramento, I would be all for trading down for pass first PG we can't get a top 5 pick.
There is an international prospect in Vasilije Micic, who would be most likely gonna be available at late first.

The kid actually got a good speed for his size and he has natural PG instinct at 6'5".
Looking at the Vazquez trade, I think PDA or Malone would not mind having a quicker Vazquez next to DMC.

In the second round, there is another international prospect who could follow the Marc Gasol path in Jusuf Nurkic.
If you take a look at DX mock, you will see Nurkic slotted at #11. That should give you an indication, second round is not happening. His forte is power-based offensive game, so Marc Gasol is not a good comparison. Brick's wish for Cousins to become a measuring stick is probably already coming true with Randle being called smaller Cousins, and Nurkic called European Cousins.

I don't think he does either, but it sure as heck looks like he's going to be there.
Thank God, Petrie is no longer Kings' GM.

If you take a look at DX mock, you will see Nurkic slotted at #11. That should give you an indication, second round is not happening. His forte is power-based offensive game, so Marc Gasol is not a good comparison. Brick's wish for Cousins to become a measuring stick is probably already coming true with Randle being called smaller Cousins, and Nurkic called European Cousins.

Thank God, Petrie is no longer Kings' GM.
he looks more like pekovic than cousins. he doesn't have the wingspan like cousins.

Well, he still measured with a standing reach of 9'1.5" last summer, so not ideal, but passable at center. When talking about European version of basketball it's slightly on a lower level, so is European Cousins. :D

i hope we trade back(if we dont move up) and grab willie cauley stein(hopefully he slides)(if hes gone- adrian payne) and elfrid payton or cleanthony early(or rodney hood/james young/kj mcdaniels), depending if we want a PG or not...perfect partner would be chicago i guess with two mid 1st round picks

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Watched Nike Hoops Summit 2013 yesterday, and Randle looked really athletic. Maybe he put on too much muscle last summer, because in college he didn't look nearly as explosive. But D concerns still stay, so he's not a good fit next to Boogie...Just saying, he might have a career similar to Al Jefferson: suspect defense, but can really score and rebound.
Been a while since I saw that game, but did you notice that he displayed a jumpshot. Something he hasn't done much of at Kentucky. I do think Randle's defense improved as the year went on. My big question is, how tall is he?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Keep in mind that at this point DX is not taking the drafting team into account - they just have prospects listed 1-30 and since the Kings currently are sitting 7th, they get the "7th" prospect on the chart. Later (after the lottery, I think) they will start to take into account team needs.

As far as Gordon, there are cases for him and cases against him. As Baja points out, he can't shoot. And there's a bit of question on position for him. I'd incline to call him a SF who can slot down to PF for matchup purposes if the other team goes small, but others would call him an undersized PF. If we take Gordon and Gay comes back, that could present a bit of a problem in finding Gordon minutes, so it's maybe not the greatest fit given our current positional personnel. At the same time, given the current skillset of our personnel, a perimeter defender who can lockdown a three (and I believe that Gordon can do that) fits our needs perfectly. And the last time we passed on an athletic SF who couldn't shoot but was a great defender at the #7 slot...his name was Kawhi Leonard.

So it's a tough call. If we jump into the top three, I think we go with BPA and we don't worry about it. At #7, there will be good players there, but practically every one of them has a caveat. In brief:

Exum: Probably gone at 7, difficult to gauge ability, combo guard not biggest need
Smart: Probably gone at 7, can't shoot, combo guard not biggest need
Randle: Not a great defender, duplicates Cousins' game too much
Vonleh: Good fit but defensive abilities unclear, maybe not athletic enough
Gordon: Can't shoot, poor playing time fit if Gay returns
Stauskas: Scoring 2-guard conflicts with McLemore, front office probably not ready to give up on Ben
McDermott: Probable defensive liability, bad fit if Gay returns
Harris: Good perimeter defender but again may conflict with McLemore
Cauley-Stein: Just what the doctor ordered, but losing PT in Kentucky, sickle-cell trait may limit effectiveness
Capela: Big question marks on readiness, may need to be stashed in Europe for a bit, but could be good fit
Ennis: Is he even better than what we have now at PG?
Anderson: Ultimate wildcard. Big skills with zero athleticism and little D, probably runs the offense but has to defend the PF/SF.

There's just no slam dunk in the mix by any means. But there are good players all around.
Actually, the question mark on Leonard was his outside shot, which was inconsistent. But he had a very nice midrange shot, and he was a good freethrow shooter, something Gordon isn't. If Gordon was a good freethrow shooter, I'd be a lot more inclined to take a flyer on him. Not sure why people are questioning Vonleh's defensive abilities. He played very good man defense in the post. I guess you can question his shotblocking ability, but he's certainly athletic enough. Dude should have played more volley ball. Along with length, and he has that, shotblocking is all about timing. Some have it, and some don't.

Personally I think there's more to Vonleh than we were able to see. I didnt't like the way he was being used, but that's another story.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
So I watched two Vonleh games. Here are my thoughts.

Offense:
* Can't post up
* Afraid to post up
* Knows people will be mad if he shoots jump shots, so does awkward 1 on 1 moves from the perimeter, during which he has total tunnel vision and sucks all the flow out of Indiana's offense. Results are never good.

Defense
*Big body in paint, so he can defend poor post up players and intimidate guards IF he's ever in position
*Horrible sense of where he should be on defense, rarely in position to affect a play
*Won't guard pick and roll, and probably too slow anyway.

Other
*Doesn't seem to want to affect the game on either end of the floor. Content to be as far away from the action as possible.
*Gets lots of rebounds, but don't mistake him for an "aggressive rebounder" who "battles in the trenches" for them.
Don't know what games you watched, but your conclusions are entirely different from mine. You want to criticize Indiana's offense, then take a look at their PG, who was a black hole. Vonleh sometimes went 2 to 3 minutes on the floor without even touching the ball, and it had nothing to do with him. He constantly fought for position only to be denied the ball. He was very effective in the post shooting 52.3% overall, and he only took and average of one three pointer a game. Almost all of his scoring was in the post. He only averaged 7 stinking shots a game. He basically became a part of the Derrick Favor's club of never getting the ball passed to him because he played with one of the most selfish PG's in college in Yogi Ferrell.

By no means am I saying he's a polished post player, but he's far from being terrible. His biggest weakness in my opinion is that he's a terrible passer and turns the ball over far too much. While he shot 48% from the three, which bodes well, its such a small sampling, its inconclusive. You opinion on his defensive abilities differs from mine, and just about every NBA scout. He's yet to prove he's a shotblocker, although he did average 1.5 blocks a game. But his post defense was one of his strengths. Was he perfect? No, but when you consider that he's one of the youngest players in the draft (he won't turn 19 until august of this year) I don't think you should be expecting a polished player. Right now he's ranked somewhere between 6th and 12th on most mock draft boards. If he's as bad as you just described, then he shouldn't even be drafted.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ok, instead of "best" read "best realistic". :p
Embiid is really scary with now two back problem episodes: I have no expertise, so won't offer any amateur opinions, but if something is bothering a player repeatedly by the age of 20, especially something, for which the only cure is rest, it might be here to stay, when he increases workload (diminishes rest) a couple of times at least.
http://regressing.deadspin.com/just-how-serious-is-joel-embiids-injury-1542399946
I, like you am no expert when it comes to the back, but I think they said he had a stress fracture in his back, which to me sounds like that's better than having a disc problem, which can become chronic. Don't know for sure. Maybe someone with medical expertise can comment.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I, like you am no expert when it comes to the back, but I think they said he had a stress fracture in his back, which to me sounds like that's better than having a disc problem, which can become chronic. Don't know for sure. Maybe someone with medical expertise can comment.
I don't know the details of his back problems but stress fractures usually heal. In other words, you are correct. I haven't paid much attention to his injury as I didn't think we had a chance of getting him. :(

My best case scenario is that the balls bounce our way and we end up with Wiggins, Gay sees the writing on the wall and walks. I like Gay, but I just don't see he and Cousins being a duo that can get you anywhere past a quick first round exit. Both are ball stoppers and theres really only room for one of those on a team imo. Also while I feel he tried hard to change the perception of the player he is early on for us, in the end we started to see what Gay is naturally, an Iso heavy scorer with blinders. At the same time it is hard to say I want Gay to walk, as I know guys on his talent level are hard to come by for small markets like us.

If we can't get Wiggins or Parker then I want Aaron Gordon. He fits in perfectly and seems like the type of player Malone would love. JT seems to be on the way out(assuming we can trade him). Either way he or Landy will get moved this off season, my bet would be on JT.

My best case scenario is that the balls bounce our way and we end up with Wiggins, Gay sees the writing on the wall and walks. I like Gay, but I just don't see he and Cousins being a duo that can get you anywhere past a quick first round exit. Both are ball stoppers and theres really only room for one of those on a team imo. Also while I feel he tried hard to change the perception of the player he is early on for us, in the end we started to see what Gay is naturally, an Iso heavy scorer with blinders. At the same time it is hard to say I want Gay to walk, as I know guys on his talent level are hard to come by for small markets like us.

If we can't get Wiggins or Parker then I want Aaron Gordon. He fits in perfectly and seems like the type of player Malone would love. JT seems to be on the way out(assuming we can trade him). Either way he or Landy will get moved this off season, my bet would be on JT.
Where? On the bench?

Where? On the bench?
I view him as a PF, especially in today's NBA. The only long term frontcourt players we have are Cousins and probably Landry as a 6th-7th man. Evans, Acy, Gray are either a) gone after this year b) gone after next season or c) low salary roster fillers. So as far as long term decisions you're looking at Cousins, JT, Landry, Gay, Williams as serious pieces of our roster.

I view him as a PF, especially in today's NBA. The only long term frontcourt players we have are Cousins and probably Landry as a 6th-7th man. Evans, Acy, Gray are either a) gone after this year b) gone after next season or c) low salary roster fillers. So as far as long term decisions you're looking at Cousins, JT, Landry, Gay, Williams as serious pieces of our roster.
I don't care what position you view him as (SF or PF), he's nowhere close to a perfect fit.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Undersized power forwards? We've certainly never had one (or twenty) of those before.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Regardless of where we pick, one thing I'm looking forward to is PDA's aggression (for better or worse).... I expect some roster shake ups come draft day. Do we trade down, trade out, or do we....Trade up?!!?

A lot of interesting prospects. I'm hoping we say **** it and take a flyer on a high ceiling guy. Better than all the low ceiling/high floor busts Petrie has been drafting *Cough* Jimmer/T-Rob *Cough*.

I also like the idea of trading down to nab more than one youngster. Back in the Jimmer draft I wanted us to trade down and nab both Kawhi and Faried, which could have been done given where they were drafted. Sigh.....That would have been sweet.

Beyond the draft....PDA needs to grab us some guards in the worst way. Shouldn't be too difficult, there's a million out there. Maybe snatch a shot blocker from The Bucks. Udoh would be a nice under the radar pick up. I want no part of Sanders....Unless they take Landry for him.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I want no part of Sanders....Unless they take Landry for him.
Which they conceivably might actually. To say I would hesitate is putting it lightly, but you never know, they might want clean hands and clean "good guy" vets in return to clean up the lockeroom, and I assume they know better than to expect any massive cap relief for their bad contract.

we already have a tweener on the team named derrick williams :) shall we add more to the pile?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Which they conceivably might actually. To say I would hesitate is putting it lightly, but you never know, they might want clean hands and clean "good guy" vets in return to clean up the lockeroom, and I assume they know better than to expect any massive cap relief for their bad contract.
Landry and Thompson for Sanders and Brandon Knight (assuming they aren't stupid and willing to give us Giannis or Henson or their first round pick for that matter) would pretty much be the only way I'd be willing to risk having Sanders on our team. Like the rim protecting, don't like the Justin Williams-esque stupidity.

we already have a tweener on the team named derrick williams :) shall we add more to the pile?
Gordon is a completely different player from Williams. Gordon shows potential to be a GREAT defender even at the next level with his awareness, quickness, his man to man defense is a thing of beauty, and he and Cousins will gobble up rebounds for years to come. He also has the frame to add plenty of strength. I view Gordon as the PF version of Joakim Noah, a guy that affects the game without every having to have a play run for him. On a team with Cousins, Gay and Thomas that is a perfect fit. Williams is a guy that is used to being the go to scorer on his team and hasn't learned how to impact the game in other ways. Williams was drafted with the expectations of having him be a #2 or #3 option, Gordon will be drafted with the expectation of being the workhorse that does all the dirty work while Cousins, Gay, Thomas do the scoring. Even then he shows potential to develop a 15-20 footer and his athletic ability alone will make him an asset in the open floor.

Last edited:
Undersized power forwards? We've certainly never had one (or twenty) of those before.
He's 6'9 according to his last measurement, will be interesting to see if he has grown when he gets measured at the combine. This team needs defenders and shooters, Gordon is the best defensive prospect in this draft class(especially since Cauley Stein is out, even then I would rate Gordon higher personally). If we miss out on the top 3, Gordon is my guy, personally.

I don't care what position you view him as (SF or PF), he's nowhere close to a perfect fit.
So a guy that will play great team defense, hustle his tail off, play great man defense isn't a good fit next to Cousins and Gay? We don't need more scoring, we don't need more guys that only play hard when they are getting shots, we need spot shooters to play off of Cousins and players that will play hard on defense. We could go in a lot of directions, but assuming Gay and Thomas stay, Gordon is my guy. If Thomas or Gay go though, there are other options. What I don't like is posters criticizing someone's view without providing a counter argument or alternate viewpoint. It adds nothing to the conversation to just quote someone and say "no you're wrong".

he's listed at 210 lbs bro. he's going to get eaten alive in the paint. gordon played great man d at the collegiate level because not everybody is 6'9+ and equally as quick or as strong/stronger than him.

i'll go with the overall skill set + size in vonleh 10 times out of 10 over gordon. he may be rough around the edges but the skill is already there. just needs to be refined.

he's listed at 210 lbs bro. he's going to get eaten alive in the paint. gordon played great man d at the collegiate level because not everybody is 6'9+ and equally as quick or as strong/stronger than him.

i'll go with the overall skill set + size in vonleh 10 times out of 10 over gordon. he may be rough around the edges but the skill is already there. just needs to be refined.
I would be happy with either tbh, just personally prefer Gordon. Also could be that I've seen a lot of Gordon, will have to do more studying on Vonleh, my opinion could change as we near the draft.