Lock-out games (post incident information - retitled thread)

I get having the entrances blocked one game but should the Kings have been prepared and insured fans could get in the game last night?

Seems to be another example of lack of foresight and planning.

The Kings locked the doors but really it's up to the city police. My question is, where does the money come from to reimburse ticket holders? Isn't Vivek losing a ton of money?

The Kings reached out to the family involved and they (the family) denounced yesterday's protests and said the Kings are their allies. I'm going to say it was unfortunate they got protested twice especially after they took efforts to reach out and align themselves with the movement but bottom line is it's a safety issue. It sucks for fans but it is what it is.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
[Modding]

I'm inclined to allow this discussion to continue, as long as it continues to avoid the political. But, either way, the subject is better suited to the #OffTheCourt subfolder, so that's where this is headed.

Agreed. It's up to law enforcement to find a solution to this because it's effecting a business on private property.
And unfortunately that’s who the protests are centered around. If I’m a police I’d be extra careful considering they don’t exactly want to see you in the first place. But yeah something definitely needs to happen if this continues.

The Kings locked the doors but really it's up to the city police. My question is, where does the money come from to reimburse ticket holders? Isn't Vivek losing a ton of money?
I would hope there is some type of insurance policy against things like this happening to the Kings, if not Vivek and the Kings lose the money.

I'm all for legal protesting on public property but this is private property we're talking about here. The Kings are essentially enabling this to happen by not forcing them off the premises and on to the sidewalk.

Why would a fan buy a ticket for the remainder of this year? You have no guarantees that you can make it through the doors. I know I'm not paying for parking only to stand around and then go home. I know people certainly aren't going to drive from outside of the general area to try and attend a game because it could be a massive waste of time.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Let's try to keep the discussion centered on what the Kings could/should have done, without veering too much into the Sacramento police department, the activists, or whatever else. Please and thank you.

I got into the game last night with my sister but had arrived around 5:30 before all the madness. We tried to leave early (6 minutes left in the 4th) to hopefully miss the potential clashing of protesters and fans at the end of the game (we had no idea what the scene was like outside at this point), security stopped us and would not let us leave. We were given no time table. This wasn't out the main entrance, it was the VIP entrance on the side. After being on edge the entire game, the few lucky fans that got in were being held against their will and i could see some of the older folks had panic setting in. We eventually got out, but to me, the damage is already done. As a season ticket holder, I have no faith in the Kings organization's ability in keeping it a safe environment for my family. Vivek has no control and I will not put my wife and young kids in danger.

Oh and not only were the gates blocked but they got past the metal detectors.. The protesters were waving around the metal detector wands. How is that ok??? Next time you go to a game, bum rush the metal detectors and see how that works out for you. Blows my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got into the game last night with my sister but had arrived around 5:30 before all the madness. We tried to leave early (6 minutes left in the 4th) to hopefully miss the potential clashing of protesters and fans at the end of the game (we had no idea what the scene was like outside at this point), security stopped us and would not let us leave. We were given no time table. This wasn't out the main entrance, it was the VIP entrance on the side. After being on edge the entire game, the few lucky fans that got in were being held against their will and i could see some of the older folks had panic setting in. We eventually got out, but to me, the damage is already done. As a season ticket holder, I have no faith in the Kings organization's ability in keeping it a safe environment for my family. Vivek has no control and I will not put my wife and young kids in danger.

Oh and not only were the gates blocked but they got past the metal detectors.. The protesters were waving around the metal detector wands. How is that ok??? Next time you go to a game, bum rush the metal detectors and see how that works out for you. Blows my mind.
I can't blame this on Vivek and the organization I'm a big believer in self accountability and the Kings did not do anything to involve themselves in this situation.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm not sure what the Kings should do, but I am not going to buy another ticket this season since I usually get them on SH and I bet they won't reimburse.
So, when the Kings were talking about reimbursing consumers, did that exclude those who purchased their tickets via secondary market?

So, when the Kings were talking about reimbursing consumers, did that exclude those who purchased their tickets via secondary market?
It specified tickets purchased directly through them or via ticketmaster. I could be wrong, but usually the secondary sources have disclaimers that excuse their responsibility from events that cancel games.

So I was wrong about the cancelled games part. SH reimburses that, but I'm not sure what they would do in this situation since the game was neither postponed or cancelled.

I’m a STH and I’ve been to both protested games. I ride Paratransit to the games, get let off at 629 L St. near the VIP/ADA entrance and enter and leave through that entrance. At these two games my gust and had no problem coming or going. I think the
Kings have handled it well and have lost a pretty penny. Hopefully the matter will settle down and leave the Kings games alone.

I haven't been closely following the Kings as of late. What exactly is the issue being discussed? They aren't letting people with tickets into the arena to see the game? What's going on?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I haven't been closely following the Kings as of late. What exactly is the issue being discussed? They aren't letting people with tickets into the arena to see the game? What's going on?
There have been public protests in Sacramento related to a recent police shooting. Some of these protests have been staged in front of the Golden 1 Center, where the protesters have blocked access to the arena. The protests and the incident in question have nothing to do with the Kings. These protests occurred for both last Thursday's game and then Tuesday's game, but did not occur for the intervening Sunday game (or at least none that were noted).

It is not clear whether these protests will continue. I believe the initial thought was that after Vivek Ranadive made strong remarks about the role of the Kings in the community following Thursday's game that no further protests would target Golden 1 Center, and this was true for Sunday's game. Tuesday's game, however, coincided with a City Council meeting discussing the incident, and it appears that the Tuesday protests may have been composed of people who were unable to get into a capacity-packed City Hall, which is only a few blocks from the Golden 1 Center.

KingsFans.com policy is to stay away from political discussions, and police shootings in America have a tendency to become very politically polarized. As such, discussion of the incident in question is not allowed here, and moderators will remove any such discussion. What we are allowing, very cautiously, is the discussion of how the protests affect the Kings and access to the games.

I started a thread asking about this since many kings fans here can buy tickets from different vendors ie stub hub, ticket exchange or from other season ticket holders. The thread got locked up pretty fast but waiting to see if it gets reopened cuz I really want to know about refunds as well as any other compensation to make up for the inconvenience.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I started a thread asking about this since many kings fans here can buy tickets from different vendors ie stub hub, ticket exchange or from other season ticket holders. The thread got locked up pretty fast but waiting to see if it gets reopened cuz I really want to know about refunds as well as any other compensation to make up for the inconvenience.
The thread will not be reopened but any/all available information about ticket refunds, etc. will be linked here. The best place to get information will be through the Kings themselves.

EDIT: I've changed the name of the thread. I suspect they will not take action until after the season ends, as there are still a couple of home games and who knows what could happen. I cannot even begin to imagine the financial hit the Kings are taking because of this, and trying to figure out how to reimburse those who bought their tickets on the secondary market will be an even bigger headache.

Last edited: