Let's talk about Troy Williams

Not sure what Williams shot normally looks like, but he had my 12 year old literally on the floor laughing after some of his shots last night. They were good shots, but he missed the rim, the backboard, and the 3 feet surrounding the rim. I guess a miss is a miss, but a few of his misses looked brutal.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't understand the rush to dump JJ. To begin with, with the return of Bogi, the minutes on the wing position will go down. Plus, we need to see Troy over a slightly extended period. Finally, even if we want to sign him to a more permanent contract, there is

1. No particular rush
2. We have 4 expiring contracts, none of whom are in our future plans. Shouldn't we cut one of them first?

I know that we can potentially trade them. So, we can wait till trade deadline (yes, I understand that Troy will need to spend some time in Stockton in that case). More importantly though, I don't really see any of our expiring contracts getting us something meaningful, unless we attach some assets with it (which might not be such a good idea).

Teams that give up something useful for expiring, are going towards rebuild. They don't give up their picks easily. Except Kosta, and to some extent Shump, teams that trade for them, will let them go. We might get some semi useful player, but at a pretty big cost. Might not be worth it for us.

The only possible exception I see is Wizards. They are clearly in a free fall, have two good players at the SF position, and no easy way to improve the roster. They are not dumping either of those guys for just expirings though. We will need to attach some assets (like JJ :) ). Even so, we have multiple expiring contracts to include in the deal if it comes to it.

Teams in our position should not give up on young guys after one season. If JJ doesn't pan out, he can always be released later. However, he has shown more than Papa did in his time. Add to the fact, that we already had several folks ahead of Papa, and developing him was really tough. JJ doesn't suffer from those problems. He has to develop into a consistent 3 and D player. I can understand the frustration, but he costs virtually nothing as of now, and it's too early to just give up on him, particularly till Troy can prove that he can perform on a consistent basis in the league.
Have you been here before? JJ is the goat right now - and I don't mean G.O.A.T. We can't use Z-Bo since he hasn't stepped foot onto the court during a game. It has to be somebody. JJ is pretty much the obvious choice, no?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
off topic: I think you should start spelling Bogdan's nickname Bogi (most common spelling) instead of Boggy. Hear me out. Reading words on a page as opposed to just hearing them embues their meaning with a visual component. When i see "Bogi" an image of Humphrey Bogart comes to my mind which associates that word with something cool, collected, money (baby). When I see "Boggy" the definition of that word in the english language springs to my mind, and I think of something muddy, wet, slow and I think: this player sucks. :p
Not gonna happen. I spell his nickname "Bogs" because I don't like the similarity of the others to "Boogie." It has nothing to do with a literal definition of the word.

Troy Williams is what he is, an end of the bench guy who will hustle and bust his ass while he's on the court in limited spurts. Looks good in small doses and you get enamored with the hustle. However when you start giving him more minutes the mistakes and lack of skill start to become more apparent. He has a place in the league and at times as a sparkplug he can be useful (especially when short-handed) but he's not the long term answer at SF. Neither is Justin Jackson, guy just doesn't have it. When your career path in the league is basically to play some good defense and knock down wide open corner threes.............you're not going to work out if you are an average defender and can't hit the side of a barn when wide open.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Have you been here before? JJ is the goat right now - and I don't mean G.O.A.T. We can't use Z-Bo since he hasn't stepped foot onto the court during a game. It has to be somebody. JJ is pretty much the obvious choice, no?
The way I see it, this team is 7-5 following a pre-season thread asking if we were the worst team in the NBA. I'm not really sure there needs to be a goat at all.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The way I see it, this team is 7-5 following a pre-season thread asking if we were the worst team in the NBA. I'm not really sure there needs to be a goat at all.
I completely agree - but let's be honest. KF always - ALWAYS - has to have a goat, someone to point a finger at and blame for any errant behavior. I recall one year even Brother Hedo was in the hot seat for a while.

Troy Williams is what he is, an end of the bench guy who will hustle and bust his ass while he's on the court in limited spurts. Looks good in small doses and you get enamored with the hustle. However when you start giving him more minutes the mistakes and lack of skill start to become more apparent. He has a place in the league and at times as a sparkplug he can be useful (especially when short-handed) but he's not the long term answer at SF. Neither is Justin Jackson, guy just doesn't have it. When your career path in the league is basically to play some good defense and knock down wide open corner threes.............you're not going to work out if you are an average defender and can't hit the side of a barn when wide open.
This may or may not be true. There is a long list of players whose careers started off similar to Williams (good hustle players who were good defensively, but not offensively). It is always a question of them putting in the hard work and finding the right situation.

I completely agree - but let's be honest. KF always - ALWAYS - has to have a goat, someone to point a finger at and blame for any errant behavior. I recall one year even Brother Hedo was in the hot seat for a while.
I assume goat means scapegoat. Nobody here is blaming JJ for anything, simply saying he is not a NBA talent and some of us would much rather see his minutes go elsewhere . So no, king fans don't ALWAYS have to have a goat. we all seem happy with our start this season and some have even backed off Joerger.
You began this thread which is about Williams taking JJ's minutes, Do you expect us all to sing JJ's praises? Seems to me you have a soft spot for JJ for some reason, nice kid, sweet smile, who knows. I think he will be out of the league in another year or so.