Let's Make the Playoffs! & The State of the Opposition

Even Utah to me is a starting PG (hell even a good back up) away from doing serious damage they have nothing but 3rd string PG's for years, if this off season they can land a starting PG they will be nasty.
We belive we have one. He isn't a great offensive player but he might be the best defensive point guard in the league. Too bad he tore his ACL in the pre season...

K

KingMilz

We belive we have one. He isn't a great offensive player but he might be the best defensive point guard in the league. Too bad he tore his ACL in the pre season...
I meant a legit starting PG right now while Exum develops coming back from his injury

K

KingMilz

Grizzlies just beat the Pelicans without Marc/ZBo/Conley/Chalmers/Anderson/Wright/Carter (got injured during the game).................a guy coming from the D League at PG for his first NBA game in Weber (who had a excellent game, who is a better defender than any guard on our roster) that's what occurs when you don't have a loser mentality and actually compete.

Grizzlies just beat the Pelicans without Marc/ZBo/Conley/Chalmers/Anderson/Wright/Carter (got injured during the game).................a guy coming from the D League at PG for his first NBA game in Weber (who had a excellent game, who is a better defender than any guard on our roster) that's what occurs when you don't have a loser mentality and actually compete.
Three things:

1. Dave Joerger
2. small ball
3. perimeter defense.

Grizzlies struggled this season, while they tried to play as usual. Go big and slow things down.
Without Gasol/Zbo they play Green, who is a prototypical small ball big and surround him with spot up shooters and pick&roll ballhandlers.
And they still have excellent defenders in Allen, Green, Barnes, Stephenson and Hairston. And with some of these guys being more than available this season, it really hurts, that the Kings don't have a perimeter defender of this kind, but are forced to play DC, Ben, Gay or Casspi.
The recent "success" of the Gasol less Grizzlies is not all about winning mentality and the desire to compete - a huge part of it is systematic and it's another hint, that slow post up basketball with bigs, who initiate the offense is a lot more difficult to play in todays NBA, than athletic, fast small ball centered around a good defense and pick&roll.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the Jazz will do this off-season? Conley seems like a perfect fit for what you guys do and plugs a huge hole. But as you said, you have Exum and Burks coming back next season. Gobert, Favors and Hayward are also going to need to be re-upped for a lot more money soon as well.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the Jazz will do this off-season? Conley seems like a perfect fit for what you guys do and plugs a huge hole. But as you said, you have Exum and Burks coming back next season. Gobert, Favors and Hayward are also going to need to be re-upped for a lot more money soon as well.
I don't think the Jazz will do anything in free agency. We get one of the best defensive point guards in the league back, add a very good wing off the bench and the Jazz are really happy with the offensive development of Trey Lyles. We have been stock piling draft picks and will add player that way although with the way we have been playing it hopefully wont be a lottery pick. Our Cap situation is pretty good too. Gordon is signed to a long term deal, Favors is too, so is Burks. Gobert is going to get paid but I think we will have the cap room to do it, at least that is what I have been told by people who follow that stuff.

All in all I am excited for the development of the team. We have a good coach with a plan, really good young players under contract and have developed pretty good depth through the draft. If we do add someone I don't think it will be a major free agent signing. It will feel like the Trevor Booker signing. Solid guy, decent player off the bench but not a major free agent.

Who knows.....we could trade a bunch of players for a big name free agent but I don't see than happening.

Last edited: