Let's get A's and Raiders to Sacramento, too (split)

Gary

All-Star
As for the A's We would support them and the Raiders, hell, most the fan base is here in Sac so it would be a logical move. We just don't have the facilities. A lot of money could be made though if we got both the A's and the Raiders.

Please, let's keep the Raiders as far away from Sacramento as possible. LA would be a perfect place for them. ;)
"UNLIKE"

Sacramento Raiders has a nice ring to it if you ask me and like Gary said a lot of the fan base is here. The Bay are mostly supports the 49ers even in the East Bay the Niners have tons of fans.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
"UNLIKE"

Sacramento Raiders has a nice ring to it if you ask me and like Gary said a lot of the fan base is here. The Bay are mostly supports the 49ers even in the East Bay the Niners have tons of fans.
The area has a lot more Niner fans than Raider fans. Even our poll here has it 14-1 in favor of the Niners. http://www.kingsfans.com/threads/kingfans-favorite-nfl-team.57345/

The Raiders have moved to LA and back before. I'll kick in $20 to help them rent the U-Hauls. Hopefully they don't come back this time. ;)

As for the A's We would support them and the Raiders, hell, most the fan base is here in Sac so it would be a logical move. We just don't have the facilities. A lot of money could be made though if we got both the A's and the Raiders.
I don't know how much of the Raiders fan base is in Sacramento, but this is 49ers country. Also the bay area is clearly for the red and gold.

HOWEVER, if the raiders do move here, they will have NO PROBLEM selling out. I just have a few problems/concerns about the A's and Raiders moving here:

Raiders:

They need a new stadium. A stadium will cost approx. a billion dollars to build. (maybe 700-800 million) Where can we get this much money esp. since we're funding the kings arena.

Where is the best spot to build this new stadium?

Would Mark Davis move to rinky dink cow town known as Sacramento? (I LOVE SACRAMENTO, but the outsiders do see us as a cow town)

A's
Since baseball depend HEAVILY on corporate dollars and sponsors, how could Sacramento be a viable option? (this is a govt. town; not known for its corporate dollars. That's why they're chasing that silicon valley money)

(this is a personal issue) Since it gets so hot in Sacramento, do you think it would be wise to build a retractable roof to a new ballpark? Also, the same issues goes as far as affording this new ballpark.

(personal issue) If the A's move here, that means that I could not watch my Giants on local TV. They would be blocked up here. :(

I wouldn't be against the idea of the Raiders and A's moving up here but I don't think Sacramento is big enough to support three teams, maybe two! I would think a hockey team would be more logical since the only competition is the Sharks. I don't know about the new arena's configurations as far as hosting hockey games, but if a team wanted to move, I think Sacramento would love to have a team.

Gary

All-Star
I don't know how much of the Raiders fan base is in Sacramento, but this is 49ers country. Also the bay area is clearly for the red and gold.

HOWEVER, if the raiders do move here, they will have NO PROBLEM selling out. I just have a few problems/concerns about the A's and Raiders moving here:

Raiders:

They need a new stadium. A stadium will cost approx. a billion dollars to build. (maybe 700-800 million) Where can we get this much money esp. since we're funding the kings arena.

Where is the best spot to build this new stadium?

Would Mark Davis move to rinky dink cow town known as Sacramento? (I LOVE SACRAMENTO, but the outsiders do see us as a cow town)

A's
Since baseball depend HEAVILY on corporate dollars and sponsors, how could Sacramento be a viable option? (this is a govt. town; not known for its corporate dollars. That's why they're chasing that silicon valley money)

(this is a personal issue) Since it gets so hot in Sacramento, do you think it would be wise to build a retractable roof to a new ballpark? Also, the same issues goes as far as affording this new ballpark.

(personal issue) If the A's move here, that means that I could not watch my Giants on local TV. They would be blocked up here. :(

I wouldn't be against the idea of the Raiders and A's moving up here but I don't think Sacramento is big enough to support three teams, maybe two! I would think a hockey team would be more logical since the only competition is the Sharks. I don't know about the new arena's configurations as far as hosting hockey games, but if a team wanted to move, I think Sacramento would love to have a team.

You would be surprised how many teams Sac could support. A lot of the smaller cities support NFL/MLB like Cincinnait, Cleveland, Detroit ect ect. Sac has much better sports support than any of those three cities. I name Detroit in there because that city is declining ever so fast. There is also KC, Indy, Nashville, Charlotte... ect ect.

You would be surprised how many teams Sac could support. A lot of the smaller cities support NFL/MLB like Cincinnait, Cleveland, Detroit ect ect. Sac has much better sports support than any of those three cities. I name Detroit in there because that city is declining ever so fast. There is also KC, Indy, Nashville, Charlotte... ect ect.

But do we have the corporate dollars needed to support these teams. (Well at least baseball)

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
The thing is that most multisport cities outside of a few big East Coast cities have major attendance drop offs for bad teams.

I think Sac could support 3 teams (including MLS) but they'd all have to be competitive.

Look at Seattle when their teams aren't winning. Mariners attendance is a friggin joke. Kind of sad because they have a great park.

I'd rather keep the unique feel that we have with the Kings, by not bringing in another team in for baseball or football. One of the reasons this area is so passionate about the Kings, is because it's the one 'major' sports show in the area. Soccer will be good though

But do we have the corporate dollars needed to support these teams. (Well at least baseball)
I believe we do. I just think that for the longest time the Kings weren't trying to get any sponsorship, based on the Maloofs letting sponsors contracts run out and never contacting them to renew or anything. From the outside it made it look like ther ewere no sponsors here when the Maloofs were just not trying anymore.

I'd rather keep the unique feel that we have with the Kings, by not bringing in another team in for baseball or football. One of the reasons this area is so passionate about the Kings, is because it's the one 'major' sports show in the area. Soccer will be good though
Soccer is soon becoming the 5th major sport in the USA and Rebublic FC will be in the MLS by 2020 so technically we will have two major sports franchises. We are already a baseball town. Might as well snag the A's.

Soccer is soon becoming the 5th major sport in the USA and Rebublic FC will be in the MLS by 2020 so technically we will have two major sports franchises. We are already a baseball town. Might as well snag the A's.
That's true, but it's just not the same. For example, soccer doesn't dominate sports talk and general discussion, like the other "majors" do. In other words, I don't believe the soccer team will ever take any interest away from the Kings,...like baseball or football could in certain times and situations

I think soccer would be fine because it would play "little brother" to the kings MEANING that no matter how bad the Kings are doing and how well Republic FC does, the Kings will reign supreme here. (no pun intended)

If it was the A's or Raiders, then the Kings would probably take a back seat to those teams ESPECIALLY if the Raiders and A's are doing well.

I believe we do. I just think that for the longest time the Kings weren't trying to get any sponsorship, based on the Maloofs letting sponsors contracts run out and never contacting them to renew or anything. From the outside it made it look like ther ewere no sponsors here when the Maloofs were just not trying anymore.
We may have enough corporate dollars for an NBA team, but baseball requires ALOT more corporate dollars; and it's something that we don't have. The owner of the A's was making this exact same statement. He basically said that Sacramento is a nice market but lacks corporate dollars. I don't know how much you believe him but i think he may be right.

I'm not against the idea of having the raiders and A's here, but i don't think it's really realistic to have them here. But hey, it's a fun discussion! (even though i am a avid 49er/giants fan)

In all honesty, I could care less where the Raiders end up. I hate the team. Plus, I do not think we are a strong enough market for a professional football team. BTW, I am no fan of the Niners by any stretch of the imagine, either (GO COWBOYS!), but I will not hate on them, or their fans, especially now that they are doing well).

Baseball? I am a Giants fan, but would love to see this city become a MLB market, and will support the team by going to games, even if the team happens to be the A's. Heck, I will even root for the A's, unless they're playing my beloved Giants.

Let's major and minor sports franchises here in Sacramento continue slowly on the path they are now on. In the meantime I would love to see the community, sponsors and even the Kings ownership invest their next money in developing the return of a symphony orchastra to Sacramento. That's where I would put my money and other available local money before investing a local dollar in MLB or NFL teams.

So no vote for hockey???
I'll be honest with you. I love hockey. I'd love to see an NHL team come out here. But seeing that California already has the Sharks, Kings, and Ducks, I just don't see the NHL approving a 4th team in the state of California. If we get a hockey team, it probably will have to be a minor league franchise.

I'll be honest with you. I love hockey. I'd love to see an NHL team come out here. But seeing that California already has the Sharks, Kings, and Ducks, I just don't see the NHL approving a 4th team in the state of California. If we get a hockey team, it probably will have to be a minor league franchise.
yea, i think you're right. I don't see Cali as a hockey state. Heck, i don't see LA or Anaheim as hockey cities. The Sharks are HUGE in SJ but that's the exception.

yea, i think you're right. I don't see Cali as a hockey state. Heck, i don't see LA or Anaheim as hockey cities. The Sharks are HUGE in SJ but that's the exception.
LA I can see. Anaheim just gives the LA area multiple teams without both having to carry the Los Angeles name with them, so I can see why they went with Anaheim as well. LA is a huge market, therefore most professional sports franchises will thrive in that area. San Jose is special because the Sharks are the only major professional sports franchise in that city.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Triple AAA baseball is a good fit for Sacramento. The team is consistently good (though if they follow through on their threat of hopping aboard the Giants bandwagon that may be a thing of the past) and consistently sells well. Raley Field is really nice and is about to get an upgraded group section (just announced this past weekend). Plus the A's have too much history in Oakland to move anywhere else and it looks like both the team and city are starting to get their act together and come up with a plan to keep them there.

I couldn't care less about the Raiders personally. They've always been the LA Raiders to me. Nobody who grew up watching the Niners with Montana and Young would consider switching allegiances when the Raiders moved back North. I hope they go to LA where they still have a lot of fans. They would probably do well there, though I don't know where they could fit a new stadium down here. All the empty space downtown had 15 years ago has been swallowed up by new development.

A new soccer stadium makes a lot of sense though. It's gaining in popularity in the US I think. More people I know tuned in to the World Cup this summer and actively followed the games than any past year that I can remember. Plus it fits Vivek's model of international marketing. What better way to spread basketball worldwide than to cross-market it with the world's most popular sport? Having all three venues right in the heart of downtown would be a nice bonus as well. That's year-round incentive for bars and restaurants to populate the area.

This article about expansion in London/Mexico City/Toronto was interesting and had some data about Sacramento.

Sac is fourth behind LA, Las Vegas and Orlando in that analysis among U.S. cities without a team (not sure why Orlando isn't highlighted gray, but it doesn't have a team):

But, most of the fans in this city are fans of other teams already, which makes it less attractive to the NFL unless it actually is the Raiders that move. Also note that there are 60% more 49er fans than Raider fans in Sacramento based on this estimate: