Lakers sign Jim Jackson

LA TIMES

Jim Jackson Signed, Medvedenko Released
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
March 6, 2006

With an eye to the immediate future, the Lakers said goodbye to part of their past, signing free-agent swingman Jim Jackson and waiving injured forward Slava Medvedenko.

Jackson, 35, will be asked to add a veteran presence and outside touch to a team that has shot inconsistently throughout the season but is fighting for a playoff spot.

On his 12th team in 14 seasons, Jackson played in 27 games this season before being released by the Phoenix Suns last week, averaging 3.7 points and 2.4 rebounds in 15.6 minutes. He has not played since Jan. 4 but was practicing with the Suns until he was waived. His minutes were reduced this season when Phoenix added Eddie House and James Jones.

Jackson, the fourth overall pick in the 1992 draft, averaged 8.8 points and 3.9 rebounds last season for a Phoenix team that won a league-best 62 games and lost to San Antonio in the Western Conference finals.

Jackson, 6 feet 6 and 220 pounds, will be paid about $500,000, his contract contingent on passing a physical today in Los Angeles. It is not expected to be a problem.

Medvedenko, who will be 27 next month, played only two games this season and underwent season-ending surgery in January for a herniated disk in his back.

Signed as a free agent in August 2000, Medvedenko played on two Laker championship teams. He was re-signed to a two-year, $6-million deal before the 2004-05 season but played only 23 games after that because of injuries and ineffectiveness.

For his career, Medvedenko has averaged 5.4 points and 2.9 rebounds in 249 games.

LINK
Solid pickup for them. They were in need of a veteran guard.

JJ was solid for the kings when he was here, many felt that not signing him was a big reason why the kings fortunes starting turning south.

For the lakers he might provide some shooting but most importantly I love his defense, he is hard nosed and works really hard. It has been a wonder why he always has been a journey man

piksi said:
Lakers are desperate
Desperate?

Mckie who was supposed to bring some veteran stability off the bench is done for the year. The only 2/3 the team has that has any experience is George. Sasha, Devin Green, Puke Walton.....no I wouldn't call it desperate just way over due.

Boozer? It would have to be a trade, he's not a FA at season's end. He just signed a huge contract with the Jazz last year.

EDIT: AHHH, just read the link.

"I'm just waiting on [Antoine Walker] to become that Robert Horry," O'Neal told the Miami Herald. "Toine is our missing link."
-Shaq

Keep dreaming Big Fella...

hate jj? damn...some of y'all are really fickle. we didn't say "hate vlade" when he went to the lakers. i think if a player gave his best for us while he was here, we should wish him well, wherever he ends up. especially those journeymen like jimmy jackson and jon barry.

hate on guys like tony massenburg. ;)

I love JJ also .... and JJ is past his prime and in the last few years in the NBA... Don't see this as anything but a pickup of a vet player to fill in for a few min a game.

A

AriesMar27

i dont see him doing much for the lakers except when he plays us..... but hey, what ever as long as it means less minutes for george then im okay....