Lakers - friend to the Kings?

OK, ok, before I get run off this forum, I just wanted to point out that for the second time in two weeks the Kings' So-Cal rivals defeated the Mavs, helping the Kings move to within two games of the Mavs for the fourth playoff spot in the WC at present (I think).

Since the injury to Dampier, the Mavs have suffered from the King-like problems before the trade, i.e., closing out teams in the 4th quarter.

I had a few weeks ago given up on the prospects of a homecourt advantage in any round of the playoffs, but if the Kings can keep surging and the Mavs keep struggling, just about anything is possible in terms of the fight for the 4th playoff spot.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. If the Kings can finally start playing at full strenght, it is possible. Of course the Mavs will have to drop a few more games like that and we'll see. Hope dies last!

Looking at their schedule, the Mavs have some tough games coming up (they play Minny twice), so methinks it is possible if the Kings continue to win.

Oh yeah and thank you Lakers.

piksi

Hall of Famer
I would rather miss play ofs than have to thank Lakers for making it.

Eventhough we do not have the quality of the past - we did not sink that low yet - to have to thank Lakers for anything.

Yes the Rivalry has lost some of the Sparkle, but rivalries usually aren't made and destroyed in a couple of short years. Yes because Shaq, Horry, Fisher, and Fox have left it has died down but I don't think it's completely done for, they are still in our division, still in the same state, and still have Kobe Bryant. The luster has died down but I don't think it's totally done for.

bigbadred00 said:
Yes the Rivalry has lost some of the Sparkle, but rivalries usually aren't made and destroyed in a couple of short years. Yes because Shaq, Horry, Fisher, and Fox have left it has died down but I don't think it's completely done for, they are still in our division, still in the same state, and still have Kobe Bryant. The luster has died down but I don't think it's totally done for.
the guys from that team are gone, the guys from this team are gone.

It'll have to be a total re-packaging to become a rivalry again.

It's worth busting our hump for to finish #4 even if we do play the Mavs at #5 since we'd have HCA...but then again, we all know how fleeting that can be.

piksi said:
I would rather miss play ofs than have to thank Lakers for making it.
i don't think id go as far as to say that

i for one DO NOT like the Lakers...but last night i was pulling for them for the simple reason as i wanted the Mavs to lose more...the Lakers winning or losing isn't really gonna effect us....and i have found it a bit easier to root for the Lakers when its basically a completely different team from last year...especially a bunch of young kids (who in a small way i can't help but feel bad for :eek: ) Now Kobe is still there and everything but....::shrugs::...we needed the Mavs to lose a lot more than we needed the Lakers to lose

so Dallas lost i believe their 4th straight game or their 4th game this month which already surpasses their loss total for the entire month of February...so as you could imagine the fans (being fans and all) are freaking out....ofcourse its very premature...since they still technically have one of the best teams in the league and they are still sitting heavy in that 4th PO spot...but they are freaking out saying things like "im not concerned about the rest of this season im just looking ahead to next year" they're talking about draft picks and so on...its absolutely ridiculous.....calm down Mavs fans

BUT considering our downfalls over the past month or so...i DO enjoy seeing them squirm a bit :D

The concept of the Los Angeles Lakers "helping" the Kings by beating the Dallas Mavericks smacks of the Iran-Iraq War of the 1980s. It's just a ridiculous idea.:confused:

A

AriesMar27

ummm.... keep in mind that the clippers also beat them too..... then they beat the lakers....

go clippers....

NewEraKings05 said:
I was just about to say the same thing... Thank you Lakers!

I never thought the day would come.
And the biggest thanks go to Bean for showing twice in one week why Dirk is not the 5th best player in the league to Bean's "6th". We love you Bean!

I suppose any Mavs loss is a good one at this pont, but the ending to that game really shows you something about the league. Even though I've come to expect it over the years, the fact that Kobe can blatently foul Dirk like that and get away with it still pisses me off.

I Phantom said:
I suppose any Mavs loss is a good one at this pont, but the ending to that game really shows you something about the league. Even though I've come to expect it over the years, the fact that Kobe can blatently foul Dirk like that and get away with it still pisses me off.
Yeah, like you often see three free throws awarded at the end of games on flailing shot attempts...in any game. Last time was Pippen on Hubert in 94.

Gargamel said:
And the biggest thanks go to Bean for showing twice in one week why Dirk is not the 5th best player in the league to Bean's "6th". We love you Bean!

I'll give Kobe props for stepping up huge in both games, blame the Mavs' coach for not giving Dirk the ball enough in the first game, and blame Dirk for not hitting a high enough percentage of his shots in the second. Like I said, good for the Kings to have the Lakers taking games from the Mavs at this point.

Question at this point is whether the Lakers can make the Nuggets their beyatches, cause the Nuggets are the team that may most likely bump the Lakers from the 8th spot.

4cwebb said:
Question at this point is whether the Lakers can make the Nuggets their beyatches, cause the Nuggets are the team that may most likely bump the Lakers from the 8th spot.
I wouldn't be too angry at them if they layed back and enjoyed being Denver's beyatches this season for the lotto pick...unless Duncan's going to do everyone a favor by tearing up a knee.

F

Fillmoe

not only have the mavs just came fresh off a 3 game losing streak and seattle is enduring one too! so if we get really lucky we might find ourselves at the 3 spot if we keep playing good and seattle and dallas keep playing bad. kind of a reach but its possible