Lakers - friend to the Kings?

Webber4tHREE said:
praying they beat lakers
Kobe for the win. Lol. Like you didn't see that comin. He torched the Cats in the fourth quarter. One clutch shot after another after another after another, maybe one of his top 3 4th quarter performances in his career.

iheartBrad said:
i don't know about everybody else but i can't wait til Thursday night to see how The Bean does against Superman and Flash on TNT

woohoo!
Bean will stuff kryptonite in Superman's jock and Bean's teammates will be so cold and sucky that Flash will freeze when coming in contact with them.

Last edited:
I was actually rooting for the Lakers in the Mavs game. Usually I don't "really" root for them to win in my heart, but this time I was cheering them on because I wanted the Mavs to lose so that was a bit weird.

From that perspective I was pretty frustrated with all the Lakers' scrubs and especially how many 3's they took. Didn't really think Dirk was fouled much on that last 3 though.

Odom really needs to become more consistent ... he's invisible way too much for being Kobe's "Pippen" IMO.

They are pretty darned lucky to have Kobe otherwise that team would have about two wins. :)

Variant said:
I was actually rooting for the Lakers in the Mavs game. Usually I don't "really" root for them to win in my heart, but this time I was cheering them on because I wanted the Mavs to lose so that was a bit weird.

From that perspective I was pretty frustrated with all the Lakers' scrubs and especially how many 3's they took. Didn't really think Dirk was fouled much on that last 3 though.

Odom really needs to become more consistent ... he's invisible way too much for being Kobe's "Pippen" IMO.

They are pretty darned lucky to have Kobe otherwise that team would have about two wins. :)
Odom cannot be anyone's Pippen b/c he needs to play with the ball in his hands. He's a talented player, but on the Lakers, Kobe is going to control the ball more often than not (as he rightfully should), and Odom has certainly had trouble adjusting.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
4cwebb said:
Odom cannot be anyone's Pippen b/c he needs to play with the ball in his hands. He's a talented player, but on the Lakers, Kobe is going to control the ball more often than not (as he rightfully should), and Odom has certainly had trouble adjusting.
Well, Pippen had to have the ball in his hands too. Its Kobe who's got the problem with his MJ role. MJ was very capable of bringing the ball up, but he was also dynamite off the ball and Pippen frequently operated as a 6'7" PG while Michael went and posted up or whatever. Kobe continues to resist giving Odom that kind of room to operate.

4cwebb said:
What was the excuse for Odom's inconsistency in Clipperville? Weed? He's only had a couple completely focused years so far.

I think the problem is that he's struggled playing his finesse game against brutes. And it's no surprise as to why Odom doesn't get the ball down low consistently. The Lakers have a hard time getting him the ball there because they have a 2-guard acting as the default point and because Atkins is a tweener 2 in a point's body. Neither of them are wizards at interior passing.

In a related issue, Kobe gets 90% of his assists on draws and kicks out to three point shooters (which is basically all this squad can do offensively). Meanwhile, for Odom to get shots, he either has to drive the ball to the rim from the arc or stand out at the arc like a putz waiting for a pass from Kobe. Either way, he almost always starts offensive moves at the arc. Add that to his rebounding/defending duties, and I can see why this season has weared on him.

Bricklayer said:
Well, Pippen had to have the ball in his hands too. Its Kobe who's got the problem with his MJ role. MJ was very capable of bringing the ball up, but he was also dynamite off the ball and Pippen frequently operated as a 6'7" PG while Michael went and posted up or whatever. Kobe continues to resist giving Odom that kind of room to operate.
The problem is, we're equating Odom to Pippen. Completely different players. You seriously flatter Lamar. You see where Odom gets the Lakers being the initiator in the triangle offense, which Pippen knew to a tee. That's why Hamblen hasn't given him that job. Kobe's resistance my butt.

Bricklayer said:
I do recall Pippen initiating the offense with the Bulls often enough, but what I don't recall (and, granted, my memory could clearly be faulty) is Pippen getting a lot of his looks when he initiated the offense. Did he get a lot of his set shots off of a pick and roll play? I seem to recall him doing a lot of slashing to the basket and a lot of spot up shooting off of MJ's penetration, not to mention getting a lot of looks on fast breaks (which Odom just isn't going to get b/c he's not that fleet afoot). But Pippen had a much more consistent outside shot than Odom. I also think that while Kobe is comfortable in the post, he hasn't yet reached the level of comfort that MJ had. Kobe's got plenty of time. But Odom is no Pippen...I'd have thought Butler would have a better chance at playing off of Kobe since he can post up and shoot pretty well from outside, but he's had trouble adjusting to be the 4th or 5th option on offense, from what I can tell.

Gargamel said:
What was the excuse for Odom's inconsistency in Clipperville? Weed? He's only had a couple completely focused years so far.

I think the problem is that he's struggled playing his finesse game against brutes. And it's no surprise as to why Odom doesn't get the ball down low consistently. The Lakers have a hard time getting him the ball there because they have a 2-guard acting as the default point and because Atkins is a tweener 2 in a point's body. Neither of them are wizards at interior passing.

In a related issue, Kobe gets 90% of his assists on draws and kicks out to three point shooters (which is basically all this squad can do offensively). Meanwhile, for Odom to get shots, he either has to drive the ball to the rim from the arc or stand out at the arc like a putz waiting for a pass from Kobe. Either way, he almost always starts offensive moves at the arc. Add that to his rebounding/defending duties, and I can see why this season has weared on him.
Don't get me wrong --- I'm not blaming Odom's inconsistency on Kobe. Kobe is clearly the superior player. It's just a difficult fit for the reasons you described. Odom isn't fit to be a Pippen...very few players, if any, are.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Compareing Kobe and Lamar to Jordan and Pippen would be funny if it did not demean two great ball layers who never played for the Lakers.

Pippen was also a deadly three point shooter. Odom is not. Pippen was an outstanding defender, Odom is not. Give Odom and Kobe another year with consistent coaching, and let's see what happens. Kobe is used to being the "initiator" in the Triangle, which is what the Lakers have gone back to under Haimblen. Odom will need more time to learn that role. Training camp should help next year. Kobe, in turn, needs time to learn how to not be the initiator. Anyone who thinks Kobe can't learn to play WELL without the ball is judging too soon.