laker love-fest

I have been reading about how the lakers and LoBall summer league performances mean the following:
"The lakers are back!"
"Lonzo Ball Proves he's a big baller with SL MVP"
"Summer league shows Lonzo can succeed in NBA"
"After Summer Show, Lonzo hype is legit"
"Kia Rookie ladder: #1 Lonzo Ball"
"Lonzo is the lakers new direction"
"Lonzo nears triple-double vs. Nets"

Last time I checked, this was SUMMER LEAGUE! Completely meaningless and not really a barometer for gauging talent, right?

What did they say when the Kings won summer league under Championship MVP Ray McCallum? "It's only summer league, it is meaningless", right?

This should clearly illustrate that the media is focused on its number one job: selling ads (hence lots of coverage on a "near-triple-double" by a big market laker in summer league). They are not doing the job we want them to perform: reporting facts with intelligent commentary in perspective.

Pure garbage.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
This should clearly illustrate that the media is focused on its number one job: selling ads (hence lots of coverage on a "near-triple-double" by a big market laker in summer league). They are not doing the job we want them to perform: reporting facts with intelligent commentary in perspective.
Who is "we," kemo sabe? I think that you may be conflating "the media" with "the news." It's not "the media's" job to do any of that.

He's gonna be a good one, NoBonus. I get that you wanna wait and I would never crow about a SL title, although it was nice to see the kids hustle and play well for a bunch of games, but he'll make his name soon enough. That kind of passing and solid decisionmaking both in halfcourt and breaks is never NOT going to be a big thing even at the NBA level. His offense is a bigger question mark, but I actually think everyone focused way too much on that aspect. He's not going to be a take over kind of offensive player, at least for awhile. Kidd averaged 12 ppg and won ROY and it was because of his passing and rebounding. When you hear the Lakers are "back", it's not that they're title contenders. That's not the point. No one in their right mind would be arguing that. The mentality of the team is changed. The FO people got the youngsters to stop acting silly and to work on themselves this Summer like they hadn't before. They're doing gymwork, all of them. Ingram played only one game, but he had a noticeable 1st layer of bulk. He didn't look as twiggy as last year. That gives me hope that he's gonna be the type of wafer thin rook who eventually normalizes his weight a la Tyson Chandler. Randle is all yoked out tho I don't know if that'll help him. There's no doubt whatsoever they sat on their butts in prior years. The Swagsters Russell and Young are out (thank you Lord). That's the change. It's refreshing from where I'm sittin after the depths the Lakers had mined for 5 years. I'll roll with it. I'm not gonna fall on my sword visavis Kuzma on July 30, but he showed good evidence of a 3 'n D, stretch 4 game. If he has it, that's like gold in 2018 NBA.

oh hey Gargs! belated happy birthday to you bro!
Thanks, same to you. You're 7/28 too, right? I don't know if I rated a thread this year, but I understand if not. I've been sparse in recent years. Hopefully in the coming years this head-to-head becomes a rivalry again instead of a depressing comedy of errors.

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
Thanks, same to you. You're 7/28 too, right? I don't know if I rated a thread this year, but I understand if not. I've been sparse in recent years. Hopefully in the coming years this head-to-head becomes a rivalry again instead of a depressing comedy of errors.
yep! the best day.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That tradition fell by the wayside a few years back when the only thing going on around here was crickets. ;)

I concur that the Lakers can blow it out there arse.
Believe it or not, Dood, I was pretty much in agreement with that from about 2012 to 2017. I was looking at some of the rosters during that period earlier today and I was shivering at the memories. Steve Nash...uch. He did as much to keep the Lakers down as he did in his MVP seasons with PHX. D0Od and VladeFan and pdx and all the fans way up North way don't gotta tell me it was grim for the Kings during that span too. This may be the final break of light. You might be able to say F the Lakers without it feeling like a reflex action. There will be PASSION in it again! ;) I did a few weeks up in Sac (work) years ago and I dealt with a whole room of Kingsfans. I remember seeing stickers and caps and logos all over the place. I did 2001 right after 9/11 and twice in 2003. Go back to THEN if you think you hate the Lakers now. I had lunch with a buncha Sacramentoans every day and they somehow knew I was a Laker fan simply because I was from South. I know for sure I didn't even advertise it until time killing general NBA banter began. Even if I wasn't an LA fan, it was like they expected it. What was the result? Nothin but pleasant hoops talk, sorry to say. You Sacramentoans with your cowbells and your supposed red-colored necks couldn't have been more friendly. Phil was WRONG! Even in 03, a couple of them were crediting Shaq and Kobe and, likewise, I lauded the Kings' beautiful passing game and Bibby (who I knew was a HR the second Sac flipped White Choc for him -- I remember posting about that trade on here aamof). Very pleasant, not a hint of S-talk. Maybe behind my back, but I don't even think so. Long story short, I as a Lakerfan dating back to the Earvin years KNOW you Kingsfan are generally good folks, haha. The gig is up. Some of your brethren ruined the guise.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I am staring to fee like a whiner complaining about the Lakers but this $500K fine is a joke! Remember when Minnesota was caught violating contract rules with Joe Smith? For the kids and those of us with fading memories in the early 2000's McHale as GM negotiated an under the table agreement and got caught (not dissimilar to what Magic just did). The result: a fine of over $3 million, McHale suspended from the league for one year and loss of 3 first round picks. Kevin McHale has got to be wondering how Magic got off so easy...
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20520132/los-angeles-lakers-fined-500000-tampering-nba

I am staring to fee like a whiner complaining about the Lakers but this $500K fine is a joke! Remember when Minnesota was caught violating contract rules with Joe Smith? For the kids and those of us with fading memories in the early 2000's McHale as GM negotiated an under the table agreement and got caught (not dissimilar to what Magic just did). The result: a fine of over $3 million, McHale suspended from the league for one year and loss of 3 first round picks. Kevin McHale has got to be wondering how Magic got off so easy...
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20520132/los-angeles-lakers-fined-500000-tampering-nba
I would like to think the difference is David Stern vs. Adam Silver and the fact it is a different era. But as Kings Fans we all know the Lakers seem to get special treatment.

Except how do you explain this?--> http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2011/12/chris-paul-david-stern.html