Kyle Guy

Kingster

Hall of Famer
New JJ is striking me as that guy who looks like he’s doing nothing, but silently cobbles together a solid game without ever noticing him for a second he’s on the floor.
The athleticism is there. His defensive potential is there. Above average rebounder. He even has shown some surprising passing ability with some of the cross court passes he's made. It always seems to come down to the ability to make open 3 point shots in an NBA game with this 3&D type of player. If he does that, I can definitely see a player. If he doesn't, it won't work out.

JJ will need to be productive as in putting points on the score board. Not soon but in the future. The SG position has to be productive and we have no room going forward for another Ben or Justin in our rotation at any position that have so many games when they disappear as there are a dime a dozen.

He is being the team player right now and I have liked what I have seen for the most part. I want to see the aggressive player on both ends of the floor the next year or so when he gets his NBA legs and mind together.
That to me will be a main part of what I hope to see.

I think on Guy, besides the shooting, he’s shown an ability to create his shot using the step back to create space or enough handles to get into the lane. I think most are keeping it in perspective in that they see a contributor at some point who can space the floor. Certainly has to get stronger. I think he’s shown some ability on distributing on the pick and roll. There’s enough there to hold and develop him. But the shooting looks to be quite good with his quick release.

I’m not so sure about Wenyen. Length is great. Strength in the paint is lacking. But his strength is his length and that can certainly be an asset but I think he’s still lacking in areas.

I actually think the closest guy to being a contributor is James. Makes the right play, makes the right pass, plays defense at a good level, will go get a board, can get out and run and has some good vision, gets into the lane fairly well when he decides to do it. Needs to get stronger for sure but his athleticism is nice. Keeping it in perspective, he can be a contributor at some point.
Yeah like I'm not saying there isn't enough there to develop him. I'm just saying that the Kings are in big trouble if he's getting minutes this year. He could very well turn into a smaller JJ Redick that at least tries on defense or he could just be Brady Heslip who has never had the size or defense to be able to play in the big leagues.

I'm not too worried about Wenyen's strength in the paint because inevitably he would be developed into a stretch 4. He seems to have some trouble finishing but he rebounds well for his size and has the tools to be able to defend very well if he puts them all together.

What is it that you see in JJ that you like? To me he's playing very scared right now. You can tell he doesn't really want to shoot the long ball unless he absolutely has to. In some ways it's good because he's looking to always try and make the right play but in some ways it's bad because it shows his lack of confidence. Him taking over games for Wyoming is what got him drafted but he could be like Harrison Barnes where if he plays more like Harrison Barnes in Golden State, he may be a better player than if he continues to play like he did in Wyoming while sacrificing efficiency to put up big numbers. I do like the flashes he's shown here and there on the defensive side of the ball. Curious to see what happens with him after the summer.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Yeah like I'm not saying there isn't enough there to develop him. I'm just saying that the Kings are in big trouble if he's getting minutes this year. He could very well turn into a smaller JJ Redick that at least tries on defense or he could just be Brady Heslip who has never had the size or defense to be able to play in the big leagues.

I'm not too worried about Wenyen's strength in the paint because inevitably he would be developed into a stretch 4. He seems to have some trouble finishing but he rebounds well for his size and has the tools to be able to defend very well if he puts them all together.

What is it that you see in JJ that you like? To me he's playing very scared right now. You can tell he doesn't really want to shoot the long ball unless he absolutely has to. In some ways it's good because he's looking to always try and make the right play but in some ways it's bad because it shows his lack of confidence. Him taking over games for Wyoming is what got him drafted but he could be like Harrison Barnes where if he plays more like Harrison Barnes in Golden State, he may be a better player than if he continues to play like he did in Wyoming while sacrificing efficiency to put up big numbers. I do like the flashes he's shown here and there on the defensive side of the ball. Curious to see what happens with him after the summer.
Perhaps the coaching staff gave him parameters they wanted to see....want to see you concentrate on showing your D, making the right decisions, etc..who knows? I don’t see it as a lack of confidence, I see t as guy who had to carry his school and do everything coming here and trying to show he knows how to play the game within the Kings concepts. Just a thought.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Yup, Guy is doing all the right things to make the team. To me he seems like just the kind of player that would benefit from spending time in the G League. He can build his trust in teammates, mature in his style of play, adjust to grown up defense and put on some muscle. Vlade may have just reached down in the draft and pulled out a gem, time will tell.

Apparently, a lot of teams are utilizing the 2-Way Contracts for their 2nd round picks, like Kyle Guy just signed, instead of signing them to traditional contracts.

According to Hoopshype, there are a lot of 2nd rounders signing the 2-Way contract this year. This seems like a very likely trend for the future.

https://hoopshype.com/storyline/two-way-contracts/

I wouldn't be surprised to see Justin James signed to a 2-Way contract and Gabriel bump up to a Kings contract in short order.

It's a shame Doyle has such a terrible assist to turnover ratio because to me he would have a good shot at making it in the league as a backup PG. He's a very good defender and has a good outside shot but he simply can't run the point efficiently to safe his life. Hasn't done it in college or the G League.

Guy would get absolutely torched in the NBA right now. I'm not exactly sure what it is you guys are seeing besides him being able to shoot. Brady Heslip can shoot lights out but he can't even sniff an NBA court. There's a lot more that goes into the game than just the ball leaving your hands accurately.

Most of the guys in summer league have some sort of major problem holding them back whether it's shooting, defense, IQ, ball handling, decision making etc. Just being good at one of those things isn't good enough to get you playing time on an NBA roster.

To me, the closest to making the squad is Wenyen. He's shown the ability to be able to play good defense, rebound and shoot somewhat adequately. Kind of has a bit of Mbah a Moute to his game. His main problems in SL have been fouling and free throw shooting. Seems like he's shooting about 15% from the line right now.
I think our fanbase just loves 2nd rounders in general after we nailed IT. See McCallum, Isaiah Cousins, and Frank Mason. Kyle Guy also has a poorman's BYU Jimmer appeal about him. Guy won the national championship, but Jimmer was the POY.