[Game] Knicks at Kings, Friday Dec. 13, 7 PM PT/10 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to top it Bagley with some clear shade at coach Walton in the locker room. I'm sure he's more pissed about his minutes but c'mon dude.
I like Bagley and think he’s got talent. But he and his camp are feeling the pressure knowing Doncic is putting up 30-10-10 regularly. I’m hoping at this point he can have a career like Bosh. Unfortunately, he’ll need to be like Giannis to overcome all the criticism we’ll get for picking him #2

Kings are averaging a best win and worst loss of the season per week. The mark of a team that plays to the level of their competition...which is the mark of a team that pisses me off.

The seed was planted early despite the leads. Kings were getting hammered on the offensive glass and weren’t trending to have a balanced team game they have been getting. They were getting outworked. Outside of Buddy, I didn’t think the team was playing well at any point in the game and for awhile it looked like they would get away with it because the Knicks can’t shoot. When Buddy leveled out, the Kings became extremely spotty while the Knicks continued to cash in on second chance and turnovers. They got 12 more possessions than the Kings and scored on the vast majority of them. Erasing the Kings +25 from three. Then they got the hot shooting streak that eluded them all game and it was all she wrote.
"The mark of a team that
Pisses me off" HA

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's more than that unfortunately, they did show up and showed up hard. I have to give credit to Mike Miller. He's a good coach from what I saw. All game he was constantly looking for an answer. If you look at the basis of his defensive attack early it was all based on stopping Bjelica and Holmes. That allowed Buddy and the guards to go all world on him. He probably looked at tape from some other Kings games and switched up his defense to pressure the pick and roll and help up around the middle paint in the free throw line area. He even ran some of Waltons Harden stopping defense against him. Kings continued to force it into the defense via the perimeter and the game was lost as soon as the Kings refused to look inside.
Forget about NY's "awesome" defense. Two rebounds in 27 minutes of play is ridiculously bad and has nothing to do with the defensive scheme of NY. Bjelica got manhandled. He didn't get out-schemed. Rebounds are energy and effort. The effort may have been there; the energy wasn't. The theme of not showing up for the poor teams has nothing to do with defensive or offensive scheme. If that were the case then it would be quite the coincidence that schematically the Kings happened to be poor for the poor teams, good for the good teams.

P.S. Forcing the ball from the outside on offense, not driving the ball, is also a very consistent theme with this team.

Forget about NY's "awesome" defense. Two rebounds in 27 minutes of play is ridiculously bad and has nothing to do with the defensive scheme of NY. Bjelica got manhandled. He didn't get out-schemed. Rebounds are energy and effort. The effort may have been there; the energy wasn't. The theme of not showing up for the poor teams has nothing to do with defensive or offensive scheme. If that were the case then it would be quite the coincidence that schematically the Kings happened to be poor for the poor teams, good for the good teams.

P.S. Forcing the ball from the outside on offense, not driving the ball, is also a very consistent theme with this team.
If it's not the scheme, and it wasn't the effort, then what is it though? What you say makes sense, and bringing the right energy is said a lot in the league, but energy is a nebulous, elusive term to me. Especially when schematics and effort are ruled out. You can talk about instincts and IQ, but the Kings just beat two good teams. Playing down to the level of the competition is so frustrating, and it's been plaguing the Kings for years.

I like Bagley and think he’s got talent. But he and his camp are feeling the pressure knowing Doncic is putting up 30-10-10 regularly. I’m hoping at this point he can have a career like Bosh. Unfortunately, he’ll need to be like Giannis to overcome all the criticism we’ll get for picking him #2
No one in the Bagley "camp" feels pressure caused by Doncic. This place is like a soap opera some times.

Beli also had 7 assists which led the team. Part of the reason the ball movement stopped is he was on the bench.

Part of the problem is Beli and Holmes complement each other and play well together. Over the last 2 games their net rating was 18.1 but they only got 15 min together a game versus the 20 min they got before.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If it's not the scheme, and it wasn't the effort, then what is it though? What you say makes sense, and bringing the right energy is said a lot in the league, but energy is a nebulous, elusive term to me. Especially when schematics and effort are ruled out. You can talk about instincts and IQ, but the Kings just beat two good teams. Playing down to the level of the competition is so frustrating, and it's been plaguing the Kings for years.
It was the energy. I'm not going to say Bjelica was not trying in the game. He was trying, but he was failing on the defensive end and the rebounding end, just getting beat. That's why at one point in the first half he got frustrated and tried to redeem himself on offense and uncharacteristically came down the floor and jacked up a shot; it was an air ball. The fact is he didn't have the strength or energy to match up against the players he was playing against. Why that is, I don't know. He sure was fine when he played in NY. My suspicion with Bjelica is that his diet or his sleep regiment or maybe some off-court distractions have something to do with wide swings in play. Also, maybe he just doesn't get mentally prepared like he should. It's disappointing to me because Bjelica is a vet and you count on your vets to show up consistently, regardless of the caliber of the opponent.

Bad game all around. I thought Buddy had a great game for the most part though, he can't stay hot all 4 quarters and carry the team. Bogie still looks like he's playing injured and had some terrible plays. The Bench just didn't step up at all. I think were gonna lose a lot of games if we play bagley heavy minutes because he's still developing. He looks very raw and now that we don't play that super fast pace we aren't playing to his strengths. We need Fox back ASAP!!

Rebounding wasn't great but the biggest issue in this game that led to their demise was without a doubt the scoring drought down the stretch. They searched the same path over and over again and came up empty.

Not a good sign losing to bad teams, it seems we have regressed from last year in this area. If we are going to argue that we play down to other bad teams could you not say the same when teams like Dallas/Denver/Boston play us?

Not a good sign losing to bad teams, it seems we have regressed from last year in this area. If we are going to argue that we play down to other bad teams could you not say the same when teams like Dallas/Denver/Boston play us?
Maybe Denver and Boston, Dallas has accomplished nothing to play down to the opponent.

Last night was the first clear coaching mistake from Walton, since the first few games of the season. Should’ve put Bags in there during the stretch of no field goals and should’ve matched NYK’s size with your own bigs when the threes weren’t falling.

Holmes and Bags need to hit the three on those perimeter hand offs and when they receive a pass there after a screen. Their main on the ball defender is sagging hard n basically daring them to shoot. Other teams will be doing the same and it’ll be an issue with anyone handling the ball except Fox. With Fox in there, some of the issues will solve itself because he’ll collapse the paint, allowing Holmes/Bags to dive to the basket as their sagging defender follows Fox. Anyone other than Fox and it’ll be 5 Kings standing on the perimeter with no off the ball movement.

Losing to the Knicks suck, but I don’t completely mind Walton prioritizing defense over offense. Force Fox n Bags to develop their defense. But last night required some real time flexibility, which Walton and his staff failed to do.

Blowing a 16pts lead against Knicks at home, I think that's enough said. Hope we'll get Fox back as soon as possible. CoJo is a great defender and good backup, but 6ppg for a starting PG is just too low.

Go Kings!

This place is like a soap opera some times.
A while ago I realized that following this franchise fills a similar niche in my life to watching a soap or reality TV show. Sometimes it's a Honey Boo Boo trainwreck I can't take my eyes off of, but that's still entertainment, right? I don't really expect the forums to be different.

The Kings have one serious weakness that cost them this game and that would be lack of defensive rebounding. The Kings do not match up well against NY. Gibson, Robinson, Randle and their other bigs looked like street ball players, getting position and out muscling the Kings for rebounds and second chance points. That was the game right there.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The Kings have one serious weakness that cost them this game and that would be lack of defensive rebounding. The Kings do not match up well against NY. Gibson, Robinson, Randle and their other bigs looked like street ball players, getting position and out muscling the Kings for rebounds and second chance points. That was the game right there.
how can you say they don't match up well when they thrashed the Knicks at the Garden not too long ago

I mean, I didn't say Bagley did great but there were a lot of things this team did schematically that put him in position to fail tonight and pretty much the entire team aside from Buddy had absolutely horrible individual nights.
On offense maybe but Bagley was a sieve on defense. He was often lost and when the shot was taken he often failed to box out. In the game at New York we hammered the Knicks and controlled the boards largely because Holmes and Beli are good fundamental rebounders and both box out.

Bad game all around. I thought Buddy had a great game for the most part though, he can't stay hot all 4 quarters and carry the team. Bogie still looks like he's playing injured and had some terrible plays. The Bench just didn't step up at all. I think were gonna lose a lot of games if we play bagley heavy minutes because he's still developing. He looks very raw and now that we don't play that super fast pace we aren't playing to his strengths. We need Fox back ASAP!!
Yeah except we won games when they were out with a defensive identity. That is how a number of players on this team play best. So are you going to play to Bagley’s strength and go away from what the team does well or do the opposite.

Everyone talks about drafting Luka but JJJ would have fit spectacularly on this team.

So if that is true how come when we played in New York we out rebounded the Knicks 50-38? In that game, Richaun had 10, Beli had 9, and Dedmon had 8. All strong bigs who can box out,

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
On offense maybe but Bagley was a sieve on defense. He was often lost and when the shot was taken he often failed to box out. In the game at New York we hammered the Knicks and controlled the boards largely because Holmes and Beli are good fundamental rebounders and both box out.
To be fair, Holmes and Bjeli weren't doing great on the boards either (Bjeli in particular).

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah except we won games when they were out with a defensive identity. That is how a number of players on this team play best. So are you going to play to Bagley’s strength and go away from what the team does well or do the opposite.

Everyone talks about drafting Luka but JJJ would have fit spectacularly on this team.

Largely because he would be in foul trouble so often that Bjeli and Holmes would still be playing their same amount of minutes.

To be fair, Holmes and Bjeli weren't doing great on the boards either (Bjeli in particular).
I would have to look at the tape but I am curious how many times Beli had his man boxed out and Bagley’s man out jumped him for the rebound. Beli isn’t going to win an athletic contest and if rebounding turns into pure athleticism it’s a problem. Beli is a good team rebounder because he is fundamentally sound.

The problem is to verify this theory I would have to actually watch that game again and I’m not that masochistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.