Kingsfans.com - best ever NBA team - point guards

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here at Kingsfans.com we have a tradition of doing something to pass the time as TDOS drags along. Last year, we had the fmous "Shortest NBA Book Title" competition. I was asked if we were going to have anything similar. So, here it is...

Kingsfans.com best ever NBA team - Position by position, we'll create the overall best possible NBA teams. We'll do nominations for each position first, including who we think would be the best possible bench or role players. Once that is done, we'll start the preliminary voting, narrowing the field until there are 10 players left for each position. At that point, we'll vote for the top four. Once the top four in each position have been determined, we can mix/match them for the best possible combinations of teams.

POINT GUARD - Please list up to five players you think should be nominated for the position of point guard on the first ever Kingsfans.com best-ever NBA team. You don't need to justify why you think they should be in a certain order, or whether you think they should be on a first team, second team, etc. This is just to get a list of nominees for the initial round of voting.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just to get things started, here are my nominees:

Nate "Tiny" Archibald
Magic Johnson
John Stockton
Jason Kidd

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Luckily for you, both of them have already been nominated so you'll be able to stew it over a while before casting any votes.

Remember, this thread is just for initial nominations. You want to be sure and have a decent selection to choose from. And, as I pointed out above, we hopefully will have enough players for a first team, second team, third team, etc.

kupman said:
Here I go already contradicting myself.....Oscar R. is the best here.....he averaged a triple double one year
We hear about "The Big O" averaging a triple-double for one season (1961-62), but he actually averaged a triple-double over the first five seasons of his career (1960-65) when the games are strung together. In those 384 games, he averaged an astounding 30.3 points, 10.6 assists and 10.4 rebounds. espn.com

Isaih Thomas
John Stockton
Magic Johnson
Walt Frazier
Bob Cousy

Mad D said:
We hear about "The Big O" averaging a triple-double for one season (1961-62), but he actually averaged a triple-double over the first five seasons of his career (1960-65) when the games are strung together. In those 384 games, he averaged an astounding 30.3 points, 10.6 assists and 10.4 rebounds. espn.com

Isaih Thomas
John Stockton
Magic Johnson
Walt Frazier
Bob Cousy
Don't get me wrong the Big O is awesome but it's hard to compare stats from different eras. In that era, Wilt averaged 25 rebounds a game for a couple of seasons. Assists numbers, rebounds are all higher than normal because of the pace of the game which featured much higher scoring teams. I think the Big O is amazing but you have to take some stats with a grain of salt.

Johnson
Stockton
Kidd
Kevin Johnson
Mark Jackson
Tim Hardaway
Bob Cousy
Nate Archibald
Gary Payton
Steve Nash
Mookie Blaylock
Big O

Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson, Nate Archibald, John Stockton, Bob Cousy...in that order.

Sorry I don't have any new ones to add, I just feel like chipping in my $.02 on this one:

I would make the case as Oscar being the best point guard ever (and the best player ever), true, games were higher scoring back then, but assists weren't credited as liberally as they are now. Wilt once said "If you don't know the answer to an NBA trivia question, just say 'Oscar Robertson' -- you'll probably be right." He made the allstars 12 years in a row, and averaged 30.4 ppg, 9.7 apg, and 10.1 rpg his rookie year. That's something else. Also, Robertson played far better defense than did Johnson. Now, he couldn't play all five position, or shoot from the 3 point line (because it didn't exist), but otherwise he was just about as perfect as a basketball player can get.

I guess Robertson is somewhat full of himself however, as he was quoted as saying that if Jordan had played in the same era as he did, he'd only have averaged about 20 or so points a game. Now, this is a bit of an exageration, but the game is reffed 'loose' nowadays, with walks and carrys permitted almost consistantly by the superstars.

Status
Not open for further replies.