KingsFans 2021 Draft Board: #1

If all players were available, who should the Kings draft?

• Davion Mitchell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jalen Suggs

• Keon Johnson

• Moses Moody

• Ziaire Williams

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought it would be fun to do a series of polls to arrive at a consensus KingsFans big board for the upcoming draft. Here’s how it will work…
  • You’ll be able to select only 1 player that you think would be the best pick FOR THE KINGS. This isn’t a generic big board. We’ll be making this a Kings specific big board.
  • The poll will be open for 48 hours. After it closes, the player with the most votes will take his rightful place on our KingsFans big board (in the event of a tie, I’ll be the tiebreaker to keep it simple).
  • The player chosen in the current poll will be missing from the next poll. At that point, we would only have 9 options so please post a comment below mentioning a player you would like to nominate for the next poll. The player who receives the most nominations will be added (in the event of a tie, I’ll be the tiebreaker to keep it simple)
  • The polls only allow for 10 options so the first 10 players in this initial poll are pulled from a random draft site.

Last edited:
I would love for the Kings to get lucky and end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick. I think Cade Cunningham is the clear number 1 pick. However, I think that Evan Mobley would help the Kings reach the next level more than any other player. He would fill a lot of holes for the Kings.

I would love for the Kings to get lucky and end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick. I think Cade Cunningham is the clear number 1 pick. However, I think that Evan Mobley would help the Kings reach the next level more than any other player. He would fill a lot of holes for the Kings.
No argument here.
Still in our most likely draft range I can see Barnes falling to us which will be a good fit. Garuba is the player I hope the scouts look over carefully, don’t want to miss anything there.
And where are all the Kentucky players this year, seems unusually void of top talent.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Best fit? Scottie Barnes no question. The Kings need defenders with size and someone that doesn't just play one position since there are so many bodies on the roster right now. Not saying he'll be at the levels of production that some others there will be but he could be that versatile defender and playmaker that brings the team together like a Draymond Green with more upside. His impact could go beyond the numbers and if the Kings were to draft a pure numbers guy they might be doomed considering the amount of shots already spoken for. Heck, Bagley can't even get a shot now.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
When all is said and done, a team at the first pick will have to struggle not to draft Mobley there IMO. He looks just close enough to Bosh to say F it and go for it. There are no guaranteed LeBrons and his combo of finesse, size, and athletic ability might trump playmakers right now. I think this all depends on who drafts where which is fairly typical in drafts with no clear cut superstars. Like Cade would a perfect Harden replacement for Houston. If they were first then he'd fit the bill for them right away. With Detroit? Eh, not sure. Clearly Suggs would be PERFECT for them.

When all is said and done, a team at the first pick will have to struggle not to draft Mobley there IMO. He looks just close enough to Bosh to say F it and go for it. There are no guaranteed LeBrons and his combo of finesse, size, and athletic ability might trump playmakers right now. I think this all depends on who drafts where which is fairly typical in drafts with no clear cut superstars. Like Cade would a perfect Harden replacement for Houston. If they were first then he'd fit the bill for them right away. With Detroit? Eh, not sure. Clearly Suggs would be PERFECT for them.
I will be surprised if Cade isn't the #1 pick. He was clearly the best player this year. The 2nd pick will likely come down to who is drafting. I think Suggs and Mobley are the 2nd & 3rd picks, but the order will depend on who is picking. Green will probably be the 4th pick. After the top 4 it gets more difficult.

I wouldn't pick Mobley unless he dropped to around 6th or so. Solid player no doubt but players like him aren't going to have the same kind of impact as Cade, Green, Suggs etc if they all reach their potential. The team needs a player better than or equal to Fox. Mobley definitely fits one of the biggest needs on the team but I don't think filling that need is as important as filling the need of a 1A or 1B player, even if the position is redundant. Plus I'm not sure if his rebounding is good enough to anchor the 5 if Barnes is next to him at the 4.

I'll take Green and a free agent defensive center over Buddy/Wright and Mobley any day.

Best fit? Scottie Barnes no question. The Kings need defenders with size and someone that doesn't just play one position since there are so many bodies on the roster right now. Not saying he'll be at the levels of production that some others there will be but he could be that versatile defender and playmaker that brings the team together like a Draymond Green with more upside. His impact could go beyond the numbers and if the Kings were to draft a pure numbers guy they might be doomed considering the amount of shots already spoken for. Heck, Bagley can't even get a shot now.
I don’t get your logic here:
  • What position does he play?
  • Who stretches the floor among your front court?
  • You going to get rid of Holmes?
  • Who blocks shots?

Barnes has a very low block rate because he has a significantly slow load time. Draymond averages 1.0 Blocks a game in the NBA. Barnes averages .7 per game compared to Mobley at 3.1.

The only way Barnes has value if you are going to put the ball in his hands full time. I can’t think of a player that would be a worse fit on the Kings.

I will be surprised if Cade isn't the #1 pick. He was clearly the best player this year. The 2nd pick will likely come down to who is drafting. I think Suggs and Mobley are the 2nd & 3rd picks, but the order will depend on who is picking. Green will probably be the 4th pick. After the top 4 it gets more difficult.
most everyone has Kuminga at 5.

The difference between Kuminga and the other 4 is his floor is lower but his ceiling is higher. If we somehow landed the 4th spot it will be interesting because Green is the pick but the player we need is Kuminga.

No argument here.
Still in our most likely draft range I can see Barnes falling to us which will be a good fit. Garuba is the player I hope the scouts look over carefully, don’t want to miss anything there.
And where are all the Kentucky players this year, seems unusually void of top talent.
Garuba is the real small ball center if you want one with real upside. 1.1 blocks per game in Spain against men and 9.5 rebounds.

most everyone has Kuminga at 5.

The difference between Kuminga and the other 4 is his floor is lower but his ceiling is higher. If we somehow landed the 4th spot it will be interesting because Green is the pick but the player we need is Kuminga.
I agree that Kuminga fills a bigger need, but I feel that Green has the potential to be a superstar. By draft time, he might even move past Suggs on a lot of teams' big boards. While it is possible for Kuminga to also be a superstar, I think he has a lot further to go to reach that goal.

Scouting is going to be very important in this draft. There are always busts near the top. In this draft there will be stars taken in the 2nd round.

I agree that Kuminga fills a bigger need, but I feel that Green has the potential to be a superstar. By draft time, he might even move past Suggs on a lot of teams' big boards. While it is possible for Kuminga to also be a superstar, I think he has a lot further to go to reach that goal.

Scouting is going to be very important in this draft. There are always busts near the top. In this draft there will be stars taken in the 2nd round.
we don’t disagree. Green has a higher floor. Both could be superstars but Kuminga does have further to go.

Barnes, Kuminga and Garuba all shoot 62% from the FT line. Barnes and Garuba have the longer wingspans at 7’ 2” but Kuminga is the better athlete. Kuminga and Garuba are more explosive off the floor. Barnes is a below average leaper with a very slow load time.

yeah I agree it’s why I so wanted to Trade Harrison Barnes for Nesmith and the Celtics #1 pick this year.

Last edited:
I don’t get your logic here:
  • What position does he play?
  • Who stretches the floor among your front court?
  • You going to get rid of Holmes?
  • Who blocks shots?

Barnes has a very low block rate because he has a significantly slow load time. Draymond averages 1.0 Blocks a game in the NBA. Barnes averages .7 per game compared to Mobley at 3.1.

The only way Barnes has value if you are going to put the ball in his hands full time. I can’t think of a player that would be a worse fit on the Kings.
He can defend 1-4 and probably some 5's. Ideally he's a 3/4, Mobley is a center. Who cares about blocks when guarding on the ball? Draymond plays a lot of 5 and played that in college and expanded his game over his 4 years. In their comparative rookie college year campaigns Barnes actually had a higher block % and his steal percentage is higher than Greens average for his whole college career. Barnes played mostly PG/SG at FSU, but put him at that 3/4 where he belongs and we'll see. I also think he'll get at least a spot shot down. There is nothing totally and completely mechanically flawed about his shot when it comes to spot shooting. Worst case scenario you put him in the post and let him use his dribbling ability to face up and get into guys.

Value is tough to say because again, if they draft someone who has an impact relative to the offensive side of the ball mostly, their impact is going to be suspect as it is. Barnes could put up 3 and 3 and still impact you with his defensive versatility and motor. He can also be the type that runs your pick and roll AND rolls off of it. That means he can set guys up, or be set up by the likes of Fox/Hali.

Last edited:
He can defend 1-4 and probably some 5's. Ideally he's a 3/4, Mobley is a center. Who cares about blocks when guarding on the ball? Draymond plays a lot of 5 and played that in college and expanded his game over his 4 years. In their comparative rookie college year campaigns Barnes actually had a higher block % and his steal percentage is higher than Greens average for his whole college career. Barnes played mostly PG/SG at FSU, but put him at that 3/4 where he belongs and we'll see. I also think he'll get at least a spot shot down. There is nothing totally and completely mechanically flawed about his shot when it comes to spot shooting. Worst case scenario you put him in the post and let him use his dribbling ability to face up and get into guys.

Value is tough to say because again, if they draft someone who has an impact relative to the offensive side of the ball mostly, their impact is going to be suspect as it is. Barnes could put up 3 and 3 and still impact you with his defensive versatility and motor. He can also be the type that runs your pick and roll AND rolls off of it. That means he can set guys up, or be set up by the likes of Fox/Hali.
the concern is his form isn’t broken and he is a poor free throw shooter. To me that indicates poor depth perception/accuracy. Draymond by his senior year had raised he free throw shooting to .723 and his 3 point to .388.

As for a pick and roll his is a poor leaper which makes him a poor roll man. When running the pnr his defender will go under every time and beg him to shoot.

Yes he has a high IQ but I don’t think it’s higher than Halliburton’s. If we didn’t have Hali, I might agree he is a good fit. But he is going to have many of the problems in the half court as Ben S. without likely being quite as good defensively.

if I want someone who can defend 1-4 I take Garuba who could be a good role man.

Last edited:
the concern is his form isn’t broken and he is a poor free throw shooter. To me that indicates poor depth perception/accuracy. Draymond by his senior year had raised he free throw shooting to .723 and his 3 point to .388.

As for a pick and roll his is a poor leaper which makes him a poor roll man. When running the pnr his defender will go under every time and beg him to shoot.

Yes he has a high IQ but I don’t think it’s higher than Halliburton’s. If we didn’t have Hali, I might agree he is a good fit. But he is going to have many of the problems in the half court as Ben S. without likely being quite as good defensively.

if I want someone who can defend 1-4 I take Garuba who could be a good role man.
Barnes is 19. I watched Green in college. I'm sure there are still threads on this board somewhere of me hoping that the Kings draft him. He didn't transition overnight, he started as an overweight undersized center then developed into to a wing/PF. And no, that's not typical and I'm not sure I would even bet on Barnes making that kind of dramatic transition but he's got some of the same potential and athletically even more.

The issue in the NBA with players playing too far under him is his stride. It's the same reason why playing under Giannis doesn't end him as a person running pick and roll. It makes a difference as opposed to comparing that same player to a small PG with the same issues. You can't just sit back on him because then you allow him to build momentum and he's shown some potential with his floater. No question, he's got a lot to work on but I think with how much he's got to work with it's a worthwhile gamble considering the fits and needs. I'm not saying he should go above the top 5 but anything under and I'd take the gamble considering where the Kings are at right now.

Barnes is 19. I watched Green in college. I'm sure there are still threads on this board somewhere of me hoping that the Kings draft him. He didn't transition overnight, he started as an overweight undersized center then developed into to a wing/PF. And no, that's not typical and I'm not sure I would even bet on Barnes making that kind of dramatic transition but he's got some of the same potential and athletically even more.

The issue in the NBA with players playing too far under him is his stride. It's the same reason why playing under Giannis doesn't end him as a person running pick and roll. It makes a difference as opposed to comparing that same player to a small PG with the same issues. You can't just sit back on him because then you allow him to build momentum and he's shown some potential with his floater. No question, he's got a lot to work on but I think with how much he's got to work with it's a worthwhile gamble considering the fits and needs. I'm not saying he should go above the top 5 but anything under and I'd take the gamble considering where the Kings are at right now.
true on the stride but Giannis is an explosive leaper and Barnes is not. Nor is he a quick leaper. That impacts his ability to finish at the rim. It is a critical point you have not addressed. To me it’s a critical gap that limits him in the role you envision.

true on the stride but Giannis is an explosive leaper and Barnes is not. Nor is he a quick leaper. That impacts his ability to finish at the rim. It is a critical point you have not addressed. To me it’s a critical gap that limits him in the role you envision.
He's no slouch. He's very similar to Giannis they both tend to go off of a run. And what role do I envision him in? I envision him in the role he was in at FSU that put him in the NBA lottery just more refined and in a game where those talents tend to take you farther since there is a 3 second defensive rule where the game is more open. I also think his time at FSU helps him, much in the same way it may have helped someone like Williams who didn't even have the PG skills coming in that Barnes does.

He's no slouch. He's very similar to Giannis they both tend to go off of a run. And what role do I envision him in? I envision him in the role he was in at FSU that put him in the NBA lottery just more refined and in a game where those talents tend to take you farther since there is a 3 second defensive rule where the game is more open. I also think his time at FSU helps him, much in the same way it may have helped someone like Williams who didn't even have the PG skills coming in that Barnes does.

his vert and load time is below average.

his vert and load time is below average.
What are his vert numbers?

If he's a spot shooter that shouldn't effect him much since he can still take guys off the dribble. Watch the video and you'll see what he can do. He did basically everything you shouldn't be able to if there is a major issue.