Kings withdraw offer to Price

Kings tendered him the qualifying offer to retain his rights but he didn't sign it so they took it off the table....Is there really a reason why this thread has stretched into 5 pages :eek: .

As was indicated previously, that dunk was pretty much all he did last season. I would venture to guess he fancied himself to be an MLE talent but I don't think we will have problems replacing those 3 points, 1 board and 1 assist in 9 minutes a game he played. Shakur will probably take his role this year and be considerable cheaper and is more of a true point guard then Price.

I don't think we will have problems replacing those 3 points, 1 board and 1 assist in 9 minutes a game he played. Shakur will probably take his role this year and be considerable cheaper and is more of a true point guard then Price.
Looks like we're trying out a new PG candidate at the Jason Hart level ($1.8M/yr), as opposed to Ronnie's $700K a year. This would seem to indicate Shakur will be gone at the end of the summer, or maybe 15th man, but we will see.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Looks like we're trying out a new PG candidate at the Jason Hart level ($1.8M/yr), as opposed to Ronnie's $700K a year. This would seem to indicate Shakur will be gone at the end of the summer, or maybe 15th man, but we will see.
Ah, but there's the rub. Had Ronnie opted to stay with us, he wouldn't have made the paltry $700K a year. That was part of the problem. Our "qualifying offer" was, according to various reports, not high enough and Price (more likely his agent) asked us to rescind it.

Ronnie posterized Carlos Boozer. Much like the posterization of Shawn Marion by Brian Skinner, I think it gave Price instant hero status that's unfortunately been blown a little out of proportion.
I know you weren’t just addressing it to me but, I didn’t like Ronnie because he posterized Boozer. That slam was awesome and all but I liked Ronnie from the beginning. Maybe he wasn't going to become the elite point guard that we want, but I think he could have developed more into a great sixth man. Just give the guy more minutes and see what he can do.

Anyway, I’m glad that it wasn’t Geoff’s decision to rescind the offer. Hopefully, he comes back to the Kings [I know I might be dreaming]. And I wish him the best wherever he goes.

Last edited:
Mike Wilks will get the vet minimum. Not sure why the even included the 1.8 million exception in there.

If we sign Price, we take minutes away from Douby. IMO, Douby should be given the bulk of the backup PG minutes over any middle-of-the-road PGs. He has the potential to be a solid starter in the league but he needs minutes to show it.

It's interesting that many posters talk about Price not getting minutes last season. The same goes for Douby, who got even less minutes than Price; and Douby has a higher ceiling than Price.

I wish Price the best (if he does leave) but imo, he's at best a career backup/ocassional starter. He can be replaced easily. But I'm looking forward to seeing more of Douby.

If we sign Price, we take minutes away from Douby. IMO, Douby should be given the bulk of the backup PG minutes over any middle-of-the-road PGs. He has the potential to be a solid starter in the league but he needs minutes to show it.

It's interesting that many posters talk about Price not getting minutes last season. The same goes for Douby, who got even less minutes than Price; and Douby has a higher ceiling than Price.

I wish Price the best (if he does leave) but imo, he's at best a career backup/ocassional starter. He can be replaced easily. But I'm looking forward to seeing more of Douby.
I like the idea of giving minutes to Douby (and the young guys) but I don't see Douby as a PG. I see him more as a short SG.

I like the idea of giving minutes to Douby (and the young guys) but I don't see Douby as a PG. I see him more as a short SG.
I think he's gotta at least be a "Bobby Jackson" style point guard, or he's not going to stick in the league. Let's give him the minutes and find out before they commit to extending Douby's rookie contract.

That's how I feel about Douby as well..I like him a lot and I was also hoping he would have gotten more minutes last year, but I just don't see him as a back up point. He could bring the ball up once in a while but we should have a real PG.

I like the idea of giving Douby the backup PG minutes. But you can't judge what Douby can/can't do after one year under Eric Musselman. Douby is young and inexperienced but we drafted him when we did for a reason. He has a good shot, he has decent ballhandling skills and he has confidence and those are a great set of components go build upon. And I think once he gets comfortable being a NBA pro, and once he gets comfortable in an offense, I see no reason why he cant chalk up a big handful of assists per game.

The people that judged Kevin Martin the same way that they are judging Douby may be in for a similar surprise. Much of Douby's progress will depend on Reggie Theus and the subsequent system he runs. Given the fact that we had no coherent offensive approach last season, and give then fact that Douby was a rookie with few and inconsistent minutes, I think that we haven't even seen the real Quncy Douby yet...and the best is yet to come...

I will enjoy watching the emergence of Quncy Douby, and maybe letting go of Price was a neccessary step in that progress.

Given that GP is looking to sign a veteran PG on the cheap as a back-up, does anyone here know what Bibby's brother-in-law is up to these days?.....is he healthy? He is better than Wilks isn't he?

Given that GP is looking to sign a veteran PG on the cheap as a back-up, does anyone here know what Bibby's brother-in-law is up to these days?.....is he healthy? He is better than Wilks isn't he?
Nets may bring back House
Posted: Tuesday July 24, 2007 08:40AM ET

The Nets want to make at least one more move to secure a combo guard. Nets president Rod Thorn said it is possible free agent Eddie House could return.

http://fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nba#

Mike Wilks will get the vet minimum. Not sure why the even included the 1.8 million exception in there.
I think because we're estimated as being around $1M over cap. If we paid him the 5-year vet's minimum ($895K) + luxury tax, it comes out almost exactly the same, except that the NBA is eating half of his paycheck.