[Game] Kings vs. Wizards, 4-14-21, 7 PM Pacific (10 PM Eastern)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You get a like for making me laugh. :D Next up we get the Suns, the team we want to be next season. They went from perennial 20 win punching bag to surprisingly good to 2nd seed in the West in just two years under Monty Williams. It can be done!
Suns went all those seasons playing Kings level defense and what do you know, they bring in defensive minded players and vets with playoff experience in CP and Crowder to surround Booker, Ayton and Bridges and they all are buying into playing defense and here they are.

The sad thing is that I was so sure we were gonna be the middle of the pack team, that I even don't know what kind of a prospects there are at the top.

Is it a good one or a bad draft, is there a franchise guy available?

For the first time, I even didn't catch the NCAA tournament to get to know at least some top prospects who were playing there.
Their a 5 good prospects and we would be feeling great even at 4. The only odds that matter are top 4 odds.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Their a 5 good prospects and we would be feeling great even at 4. The only odds that matter are top 4 odds.
OKC has got some powerful tank mojo that will be tough to beat, but I can see us moving up to around 6 in the lottery which actually would get us pretty good odds for a top 4 pick at 37%. All the way down to 9 in the lottery you're still at 20% odds so it's really just luck of the draw now.

And those five prospects are named? So I can introduce myself to them watching with my scout eye.

I have a good scout eye tbh, I may or may not once said that Frank Ntilikina will be James Harden on offense and Tony Allen on defense combined.

hrdboild

Staff member
And those five prospects are named? So I can introduce myself to them watching with my scout eye.

I have a good scout eye tbh, I may or may not once said that Frank Ntilikina will be James Harden on offense and Tony Allen on defense combined.
I think for most people the top 5 are:

Cade Cunningham
Evan Mobley
Jalen Suggs
Jalen Green
Jonathan Kuminga

The order is pretty up in the air though. Cunningham started out as the clear #1 but people have started to find holes in his game. Suggs had a strong tournament, Mobley is a rare 7 footer who can do it all on offense and dominate defensively but big men aren't valued like they used to be or he would be a consensus #1. Jalen Green and Jonathan Kumniga are both freak athletes who skipped college to play in the G-League and looked pretty good against (B-side) pro players.

So there you are, work your magic!

OKC has got some powerful tank mojo that will be tough to beat, but I can see us moving up to around 6 in the lottery which actually would get us pretty good odds for a top 4 pick at 37%. All the way down to 9 in the lottery you're still at 20% odds so it's really just luck of the draw now.
Actually OKC is only 2 games ahead of us and we play 3 times. So technically they aren’t out of reach but we would have to be as blatant as they are.

As posted,

Cade Cunningham
Jalen Suggs
Evan Mobley
Jonathan Kuminga
Jalen Green

Cunningham, Kuminga and Mobley are big enough to play 3-5. Green is a 2 guard from Fresno and Suggs is a point. If we get 4 Kuminga would likely be available. He might be available at 5 but the chances of us getting 5 are close to zero.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Why the F is DeAaron Fox playing 40 minutes in a meaningless game given the rate players are getting hurt. Walton may be Tweedledee but McNair is Tweedledum for allowing it to happen and putting his only decent player at risk of injury in this condensed season.
To be fair, not having a good player to base an offense around would probably only lead to the Kings somehow winning ten games in a row

hrdboild

Staff member
Actually OKC is only 2 games ahead of us and we play 3 times. So technically they aren’t out of reach but we would have to be as blatant as they are.
That's why they're out of reach. At the rate they're going, I believe OKC will start shooting at their own basket if they're in danger of winning one of those 3 games.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Wasn't it 8 years ago? Honestly, it feels like at least 10 years and like one long nightmare.
I think the 10 years ago was the supposed Anaheim move. IIRC correctly it was the night of the Portland Timbers MLS home debut, which was ... checks notes ... April 14, 2011.
Kings lost at home to the Lakers that night, players and even Coach Westphal grabbed the mic to praise Sacramento after the game.

Even with Fox, the Kings are so bad that I can no longer watch them. Keep in mind that I've been watching them since they arrived from Kansas City and there has been much more bad than good. But, somehow, I always had hope. But now, I have never felt so hopeless. Although we're one of the worst teams in the league, we can't even hope for a top 5 lottery pick. Can't hope for some valuable playoff experience, either. Fire Luke or keep him? I don't give a chit anymore. Vivek - you've ruined it for me. Somebody has to be accountable for this mess. I choose you.

Even with Fox, the Kings are so bad that I can no longer watch them. Keep in mind that I've been watching them since they arrived from Kansas City and there has been much more bad than good. But, somehow, I always had hope. But now, I have never felt so hopeless. Although we're one of the worst teams in the league, we can't even hope for a top 5 lottery pick. Can't hope for some valuable playoff experience, either. Fire Luke or keep him? I don't give a chit anymore. Vivek - you've ruined it for me. Somebody has to be accountable for this mess. I choose you.
I haven't watched them in a while. Might when Bags returns. He'll help the tank.

Vivek doesn’t care about you or the fans. After everything we’ve been through you’d think he’d finally say enough is enough and give us a clear direction. He wants to be just competitive enough that fans show up to games and buy $12 beers.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Maybe the Kings should move to Seattle and start over. I just spent a few weeks there, and people are always talking about the potential move.
I feel for Seattle but they can kick rocks.
Also they are getting an NHL team and have NFL, MLS & MLB (that they don't support) as well.

Plus MoPop and there's a petting zoo where you can play with capybaras in Tacoma.

They don't need an NBA team.

I agree with Sactowndog, they should be playing more players more minutes.
I’d like to see Kyle Guy getting some experience. He was so great in college. He’s only 6’2”, about the same height as Davion Mitchell who we might draft. Wouldn’t that be a logjam at the guard(s) position having Fox, Hali, Buddy, and Davion Mitchell.
I do think Davion Mitchell should be our pick if he’s available. I’m not sure how to deal with so many guards though. Maybe trade some?
We must be tanking for a reason?

It's clearly getting to that point where they have to shift direction. They decided to basically start the season off on the wrong foot with the foul stench of an incomplete clean sweep of the previous front office leader by not getting rid of it's crony coaching hire and they've paid for it all season in the loss column. Sure, they could put another run together but time isn't on their side. Deal with it Vivek, pull out that wallet, and start growing a pair. Time to swing the hammer.

You get a like for making me laugh. :D Next up we get the Suns, the team we want to be next season. They went from perennial 20 win punching bag to surprisingly good to 2nd seed in the West in just two years under Monty Williams. It can be done!
I’m surmising that you detected the sarcasm in my original comment, and glad that you found it humorous. We can certainly hope that the Kings will undergo a Suns-like rapid transformation, but I’m having a hard time imagining a scenario under which that would be possible.