[Game] Kings vs. Trail Blazers - 4/14/2024 - 12:30PM PDT/3:30PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

Fox with 3 steals today passed SGA for the first place in steals.
Technically they tied at 150 steals each but as I mentioned earlier, Fox played 1 less game so he gets the slight edge in Steals per game (which I assume is what is meant here).

Hats off to Sabonis and Fox for finishing first in RPG and SPG respectively! Swipa and The Ox both lived up to their nicknames this year. I think Lebron passed Sabonis for 5th in Assists per game today but Sabonis still finished 4th in overall assists on the season behind Hali, Joker, and Luka -- still a worthy accomplishment.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I hate to be THAT GUY, but the L2M this year has been cruel to the Kings. Just this last week, a slap to Colby and an egregious travel by SGA would have left us in 6th place.
It’s a lot more than 1 missed call that led us to where we are now. All teams in the league get shifted by bad referring. The Kings did this to themselves

The loser mentality is thinking that all that is wrong with this team is the absence of Heurter and Monk. Actually, it's more than loser mentality. It's just dumb.
Who's said that's all that's wrong with this team? You grossly undervaluing the impact of Huerter and Monk doesn't mean they're the only 2 missing pieces for us to be a title contender. But they CERTAINLY are the difference between us being a play-in team and like a 5-6 seed. If you can't see or recognize that, I don't have anything else to really discuss with you.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
No, no. Maybe the *real* loser mentality is all the friends we've made along the way.

...actually I don't think that makes any sense.

But perhaps all of us should avoid painting other fans as having a "loser mentality" as that's not really going to go anywhere and just start fights. There are plenty of bad vibes around here, for fairly understandable reasons. Let's not take it out on each other, thanks.

Kings have only 2 wins less comparing to last season, where they were 3rd. West is super strong now.
Only one constant player was Sabonis and yes, he had some small struggles, but still was a center piece of the team. And he ( Barnes also) was playing all 82 games ....
Need to see how this play in will end (somehow I have bad feeling that Kings will not pass it) , but for sure team needs an upgrade of "team friendly" and "nice" people of HB or Huerter for sure.

With 3 steals so far Fox has now tied SGA for the most steals this season and he's done it in less games giving him a % lead in the SPG category. Both teams (OKC and SAC) are still playing though so there's time for this to flip the other way.
He did it in 1 less game…. But SGA played a lot less minutes

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Who's said that's all that's wrong with this team? You grossly undervaluing the impact of Huerter and Monk doesn't mean they're the only 2 missing pieces for us to be a title contender. But they CERTAINLY are the difference between us being a play-in team and like a 5-6 seed. If you can't see or recognize that, I don't have anything else to really discuss with you.

This is fricken BS. I can't even believe how wrong this is. It totally ignores the nothingness of Heurter and tragically magnifies the importance of Monk. AND, it ignores that many teams in the West (OKC, NO, Houston, as examples) are improving at a much faster rate than the Kings! Is Monk going to outweigh that?!

This is fricken BS. I can't even believe how wrong this is. It totally ignores the nothingness of Heurter and tragically magnifies the importance of Monk. AND, it ignores that many teams in the West (OKC, NO, Houston, as examples) are improving at a much faster rate than the Kings! Is Monk going to outweigh that?!
Like I said, nothing to discuss further. All of this is clearly obvious. Not my fault you keep your head in the sand.

hrdboild

Staff member
He did it in 1 less game…. But SGA played a lot less minutes
Well unfortunately for Shai then, that's not how "Per Game" stats are measured. :)

It's also not going to matter. The Kings falling to the 9 seed pretty much removes any chance Fox had of making either All-NBA or All-Defense this year. Sabonis might still have a chance at All-NBA if voters ignore the new "positions don't matter" stipulation and vote in 3 Centers anyway.

hrdboild

Staff member
Monk is either going to win Sixth Man of the Year or come in second. That's a player who matters. Especially when the dfference between the 5-6 seed and the 9-10 seed this year was only 3 games. As for Huerter, he wasn't as good this season as he was in 22-23 but he wasn't a net nothing either. And the important thing here is who took their place -- you don't think the difference between Monk/Huerter and Chris Duarte/Colby Jones in that 4th guard spot might have imapacted us enough to lose 3 more games? Just Malik Monk alone had averaged 18.2 PPG in February and 16.9 PPG in March before he got injured.

I’m not sure I agree (not surprisingly ;)

if Monk and Huerter brought significantly different skill sets then maybe you could count both but the essentially played the same position …..

Keon averaged last 10 games 10.5 ppg
Davion averaged last 10 games 9.4 ppg

Malik averaged 15.4
Kevin averaged 10.2

so you are talking about an additional 5-6 points and significantly worse defense. I don’t think that makes up for that big of gap.

another view is for the season Net Rating
Huerter: 2.5
Monk: .1

in the last 10 games where they had big minutes:
Mitchell 10.8
Ellis 1.7

Last edited:
I’m not sure I agree (not surprisingly ;)

if Monk and Huerter brought significantly different skill sets then maybe you could count both but the essentially played the same position …..

Keon averaged last 10 games 10.5 ppg
Davion averaged last 10 games 9.4 ppg

Malik averaged 15.4
Kevin averaged 10.2

so you are talking about an additional 5-6 points and significantly worse defense. I don’t think that makes up for that big of gap.

another view is for the season Net Rating
Huerter: 2.5
Monk: .1

in the last 10 games where they had big minutes:
Mitchell 10.8
Ellis 1.7
Too oversimplistic view of things. Huerter and Monk (Monk especially) not only were 2 of our better spacers, but 2 of our better secondary playmakers too. I think Monk might have surpassed Fox this year in terms of playmaking. I think the biggest counter-argument is that instead of us getting to capitalize fully on Keon/Davion becoming awesome and productive players they now have to try and fill the void of 2 starting-level players, particularly on the offensive end of 2 guys who were huge components of us being a great offense. Also, even if I thought raw PPG was a good determination of their value, 5-6 PPG is a TON. So not entirely sure why you think that's not a significant gap.

And just in terms of roster depth, Keon is clearly the right man to start at the 2. But imagine we got to go into the playoffs with a Davion/Monk/Huerter/Lyles 9 man rotation? With Len in there based on match-ups? Man, that a huge huge loss.

Too oversimplistic view of things. Huerter and Monk (Monk especially) not only were 2 of our better spacers, but 2 of our better secondary playmakers too. I think Monk might have surpassed Fox this year in terms of playmaking. I think the biggest counter-argument is that instead of us getting to capitalize fully on Keon/Davion becoming awesome and productive players they now have to try and fill the void of 2 starting-level players, particularly on the offensive end of 2 guys who were huge components of us being a great offense. Also, even if I thought raw PPG was a good determination of their value, 5-6 PPG is a TON. So not entirely sure why you think that's not a significant gap.

And just in terms of roster depth, Keon is clearly the right man to start at the 2. But imagine we got to go into the playoffs with a Davion/Monk/Huerter/Lyles 9 man rotation? With Len in there based on match-ups? Man, that a huge huge loss.
I just don’t think you have enough minutes between Fox, Monk, Huerter, Davion, Keon. Not a single one of those guys can effectively slide to the 3 spot against good teams who more than likely have an above average 3. None of them have the length to be super successful in that role.

all those guys are basically jammed into the same two spots. Which is why I have been saying roster construction is a huge problem.

too many guys at the 1-2 and too many guys at the 4 and a Grand Canyon in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.