[Game] Kings vs Rockets, 1/2/2021, 2PM PST, 5PM EST

Where were you the night Tony Delk scored 53 points on the Kings?

• Total voters
I've said a million times what they should be doing. Run that high middle pick and roll until the wheels fall off. Post play can happen but again, this is what your coach is drawing up in this situation. At this point that just looks like trying to lessen the blow to your own record, lol. We've seen enough to know where the ray of light comes from. Buddy either goes ham or the opposing team wants to grind with you.
Rockets were crowding the middle, which left the perimeter open. Kings simply missed their shots. Buddy being the biggest culprit. Walton's made a bunch of head scratching decisions, so I'm not defending him. Not sure I'm ready to fire him, but I wouldn't argue against it. This game, however, was on the players. They just didn't make their shots. Holmes must've missed like 3 bunnies in the 4th.

Well, not a minute of that game was fun to watch.

What’s the deal with the playoff rotation on the 6th game of the season?

Kings missed Haliburton big time. 2 weeks a pro and he’s already mostly the difference between what we have seen so far and whatever THAT was

100% disagree. You can't fault the players too much when they put themselves in difficult positions to score. That part is scheme and plays from your coaching staff. If a player keeps trying to score in difficult position, it's up to you as head coach to change it either by taking the player out or drawing up something for him to score a few buckets easier.
Easy shots are made when you have high IQ players moving the ball at the right time. Missed a big high IQ player tonight.

Rockets were crowding the middle, which left the perimeter open. Kings simply missed their shots. Buddy being the biggest culprit. Walton's made a bunch of head scratching decisions, so I'm not defending him. Not sure I'm ready to fire him, but I wouldn't argue against it. This game, however, was on the players. They just didn't make their shots. Holmes must've missed like 3 bunnies in the 4th.
Again, I want to reinforce this position. Players make a small amount of plays on the court mostly from freelancing after failed plays. But when a large amount of runs during 4th quarter was just the players freelancing for a shot, it is now 100% coaching staffs fault (I'm not just blaming Walton but he is THE culprit with his title) for not being able to put their players in position to be successful.

He should've pulled GRIII early. Dude sucks. He had Guy in there, who was 0 for 3 or 4.

Walton was trying.

This game was 80% on the players, 20% on the coaching. They simply missed shots.
Walton was trying for sure. He was just trying in a way that likely won't end up saving his gig. Look, this could all be on the players in the end, but in the end it doesn't matter, even keeping him on in the first place was fighting pure history as to whether it worked or not. After seeing this for now 15 years straight we know what happens next. Either he adjusts, the players find some unreal rhythm, or they look for the guy who will, otherwise they'll just start looking a little more and more gassed earlier and earlier each game.

As for the Rockets. Harden might want to slow his roll on getting out of there. If John Wall still has it and knows his place(unlike Westbrick), Wood as a third option and what looks like a scrappy group of 3 and D players. They are probably better than last seasons team if healthy, they might need a little more size but Wall is still a blur when he steps on the gas.

That's why you run high middle pick and roll. most teams play off the sides but they play small so they can recover and the Rockets won't overhelp like the Kings do. And no, they were playing very tight on the perimeter late. And beyond nit picking late game stuff, this is an accumulation type of thing. You need to be consistent with your identity unless you have shown success with some varied offensive strategy. We're seeing high post from bigs one play. Post ups the next. Pick and roll here and there. We heard the words pace, switching, etc. from Monte. What we're seeing is horrendous. They switch but help. Missed wide open shots from 3 isn't a viable defense. The results are trickling in here and throwing out those Nuggets games it ain't looking so hot.

Like I said, the Bagley/Holmes lineup has some interesting nuance but it's still not what Monte clearly said he wanted to see.

Of course, but I think her point is as she explained more, the coach and all of these vets....Bjelica, GRob, Cojo should not have let this happen and not having the 20 year old kid shouldn’t be an excuse
It's on the coach. Vets are just there to help with that whereas coaches are hired to do exactly that. You can't just rely on vets to get your team stablized.

Walton was trying for sure. He was just trying in a way that likely won't end up saving his gig. Look, this could all be on the players in the end, but in the end it doesn't matter, even keeping him on in the first place was fighting pure history as to whether it worked or not. After seeing this for now 15 years straight we know what happens next. Either he adjusts, the players find some unreal rhythm, or they look for the guy who will, otherwise they'll just start looking a little more and more gassed earlier and earlier each game.
That second unit has been a problem since last year. You can't play CoJo with Buddy. The only facilitator on that second unit has been Haliburton. He's not in the lineup and this is the result.

If we're going to be calling for changes to the coaching staff on a night when the team's best faciltator is out then McNair failed as well. This Kings need a backup PG (who can penetrate) not named Joseph. McNair didn't provide that.

As for the Rockets. Harden might want to slow his roll on getting out of there. If John Wall still has it and knows his place(unlike Westbrick), Wood as a third option and what looks like a scrappy group of 3 and D players. They are probably better than last seasons team if healthy, they might need a little more size but Wall is still a blur when he steps on the gas.
Once a player like that is done, he's done. And that last game he showed he's willing to bring the whole rest of the team down with him if he has to. He turned it on late to prove a point but that display was something I don't remember seeing from another player as far as being that obvious in his demeanor.

That's why you run high middle pick and roll. most teams play off the sides but they play small so they can recover and the Rockets won't overhelp like the Kings do. And no, they were playing very tight on the perimeter late. And beyond nit picking late game stuff, this is an accumulation type of thing. You need to be consistent with your identity unless you have shown success with some varied offensive strategy. We're seeing high post from bigs one play. Post ups the next. Pick and roll here and there. We heard the words pace, switching, etc. from Monte. What we're seeing is horrendous. They switch but help. Missed wide open shots from 3 isn't a viable defense. The results are trickling in here and throwing out those Nuggets games it ain't looking so hot.

Like I said, the Bagley/Holmes lineup has some interesting nuance but it's still not what Monte clearly said he wanted to see.
I've wanted Holmes traded since the preseason, so we're on the same page there.

That second unit has been a problem since last year. You can't play CoJo with Buddy. The only facilitator on that second unit has been Haliburton. He's not in the lineup and this is the result.

If we're going to be calling for changes to the coaching staff on a night when the team's best faciltator is out then McNair failed as well. This Kings need a backup PG (who can penetrate) not named Joseph. McNair didn't provide that.
To be fair, McNair was getting DiVincenzo.

And the 2 PG lineups have been an issue. Now who's fault is that? Even with Haliburton what was the Kings pace rating so far? Before tonight 18th. After tonight, we'll see but it will probably be lower. Again, this looks more like Walton ball. Adding it all in, they better be paying attention to this carefully. It's possible they scrape together some recovery or adjust. But again, Walton hasn't been much of an adjustment type even when injuries are a factor.

Of course, but I think her point is as she explained more, the coach and all of these vets....Bjelica, GRob, Cojo should not have let this happen and not having the 20 year old kid shouldn’t be an excuse
I agree, but all of the aforementioned vets are role players. Think we've already gone through that song with ZBO, Vince...

Wow... This is a hot take I never saw coming from Kings fans camp. But then again I don't agree with most of your points... I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
I've felt that Holmes is a square peg, round hole since preseason. He still is, but is playing because he knows the defense (unlike Bags) and has the feet to play the defense (unlike Whiteside).

I've wanted Holmes traded since the preseason, so we're on the same page there.
Trade Holmes and watch the same basic product. At this point trading Whiteside, Bjelica, and Holmes would probably fix the rotation issues in an overcorrection the other way but the gameplan, holdover bad taste in your mouth, need a fresh start issues remain. What do you think of the switching they're doing? I'm seeing the same basic flaws no matter who is in there.