[Game] Kings vs Rockets, 1/14/2022 7pm PT/10pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda makes you wonder where we’d be if we ever had decent coaching.

Joerger had us looking poised for a leap before he got Brandon Williams’d.

As much as I’d love to see us get a top 3 pick in the upcoming draft, if the choice was between a top prospect and a top coach, I’m picking top coach.
This. All of this.

In all honesty, having another team dictate Bagley's market value in RFA probably isn't that bad a move considering the alternative. Would be preferable to a blind overpay/gives us more flexibility in the longterm than just having him on the QO.

Plus, with Walton gone and Gentry actually seemingly interested in using Marvin, his camp has pretty much gone completely silent and he's just playing basketball for the first time in his career.
The big question is what does he want as well? Right or wrong, he and his people have to feel jerked around. Then there is Holmes. I still have no doubt, for Bagely to even be a usable starter level player making more than MLE money in the modern game he has to play center for a majority of his minutes. Does Holmes become a backup? If so Holmes being a more impactful defender is certainly going to pop it's head up from time to time. Turn this back into an either/or and that value drops on Marvin. The Kings can't just keep blocking up chunks of their cap unless that player is going to both live up to their value or impact winning in some major way.

I realize that the Kings are supposed to be the franchise in disarray but I'm confused how Eric Gordon, Christian Wood, and DJ Augustin are still on the Rockets, let alone playing major minutes in crunch time for them.

Also, they've still gotta figure out how they're gonna get rid of John Wall's contract.
Wall is the kind of "used to be a star" on dreadful teams that Vivek gets excited by. So I can think of one team that might sniff around wall.

I was gonna post this pre-game and forgot about it. I had my stream up early and caught the kid putting some extra shooting on almost a full 30 mins before the game.
Bags' shooting is one of the things that he's done a decent job of improving each year. His form and composure from 3/FTs is better than Fox's.

But I do wonder whether he's working on the right things. There are some things that you'd think he would've fixed by now, like defending with his right hand. He could easily get an additional one to two blocks per game by using his right hand and be a much more effective defender in general if his stance, vision, and positioning wasn't so left hand dominate.

He's going to end up having a 10 year career. Kinda following a Derrick Favors arc or a Javale McGee type of path where he's a bench big on a few championship teams in the 2030s.

Last edited:
This team seems to have trouble making adjustments. That's led to a lot of bad third quarters, and then there was the thrashing they got recently in the second Dallas game. I'm very interested in seeing how they do in the second Houston game.

This team seems to have trouble making adjustments. That's led to a lot of bad third quarters, and then there was the thrashing they got recently in the second Dallas game. I'm very interested in seeing how they do in the second Houston game.
That was never a hallmark of the Walton era.

Yeah Fox can still pass but his mentality is and always has been that of a scorer. It’s not meant in a derogatory sense that is just his mindset.
I think Hali and Fox are really starting to find a groove in their new roles since Hali took over as the primary playmaker:

Hali last 8 games:

34.7 MPG
14.4 PPG
8.5 APG
3.5 RPG
43.9% 3pt
62.6% TS
16.7% USG

Fox last 8 games:
35.2 MPG
24.5 PPG
5.1 APG
4.6 RPG
24% 3pt
57.3% TS
7.1 FTA/game (77 FT%)
29.6% USG

Those are "build-around" type numbers.

Last edited:
I think Hali and Fox are really starting to find a groove in their new roles since Hali took over as the primary playmaker:

Hali last 8 games:

34.7 MPG
14.4 PPG
8.5 APG
3.5 RPG
43.9% 3pt
62.6% TS
16.7% USG

Fox last 8 games:
35.2 MPG
24.5 PPG
5.1 APG
4.6 RPG
24% 3pt
57.3% TS
7.1 FTA/game (77 FT%)
29.6% USG

Yes and no. Fox’s 3 point shooting is a problem for a 2 guard and neither can play defense.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Yes and no. Fox’s 3 point shooting is a problem for a 2 guard and neither can play defense.
Yeah that 3pt percentage is ugly.

I’m warming up to the idea of Fox becoming a mid range assassin on possessions where he can’t get to the rim.

A solid coach could do some damage with that backcourt, although the defense would likely keep our ceiling at about what Portland topped out at (assuming things break right with Fox and Hali’s continued development).

And of course we’d need to have shooters at positions 3-5 to make up for Fox’s lack of an outside shot so….. #tankforchet

The big question is what does he want as well? Right or wrong, he and his people have to feel jerked around. Then there is Holmes. I still have no doubt, for Bagely to even be a usable starter level player making more than MLE money in the modern game he has to play center for a majority of his minutes. Does Holmes become a backup? If so Holmes being a more impactful defender is certainly going to pop it's head up from time to time. Turn this back into an either/or and that value drops on Marvin. The Kings can't just keep blocking up chunks of their cap unless that player is going to both live up to their value or impact winning in some major way.
this franchise can’t be letting talent go and I’m a Bagley hater. If we need him to stay and we have the rights to them he doesn’t have a choice or he can just let his career rot on the bench for another whatever year(s)

Hali last 8 games:

34.7 MPG
14.4 PPG
8.5 APG
3.5 RPG
43.9% 3pt
62.6% TS
16.7% USG

Fox last 8 games:
35.2 MPG
24.5 PPG
5.1 APG
4.6 RPG
24% 3pt
57.3% TS
7.1 FTA/game (77 FT%)
29.6% USG

It's clear, just a few games back you can see that both are starting also see eachother out there. I mean, this is the first year of them starting together so it was just a matter of time perhaps. Positive for sure, but is it too late? That's the question.

Last edited:

I’m warming up to the idea of Fox becoming a mid range assassin on possessions where he can’t get to the rim.

A solid coach could do some damage with that backcourt, although the defense would likely keep our ceiling at about what Portland topped out at (assuming things break right with Fox and Hali’s continued development).

And of course we’d need to have shooters at positions 3-5 to make up for Fox’s lack of an outside shot so….. #tankforchet
Never seen a good big with such narrow shoulders. Dude is built like a pro volleyball player.

That's been an interesting development with the Bags/Metu front-court the last 2 games. All of a sudden Fox's path to the rim has been wide open on his way to 28/5/6 on 61% TS with 7.5 FTA/game. It's the Lakers/Rockets rim protection, sure, but those are clear all-star type numbers. And Metu and Bagley aren't even what you'd consider "good" shooters, they're just a threat to actually pull it.

gunks

Hall of Famer
[QUOTE
Never seen a good big with such narrow shoulders. Dude is built like a pro volleyball player.
Haha yeah he’s scrawny for sure…. Probably needs at least 30-40lbs of muscle, which would take YEARS of hard work and eating like an Olympic swimmer.

That being said, I reeeeaaaally like his skillset. He could be like JJJ but actually rebound like a big.

Embiid and Jokic will eat him alive, but they eat everybody alive…

… actually at 7’ 190lbs, everyone will probably eat him alive in the post, good thing that part of the game is a dying art, yeah?

Traxe buddy and all our problems will be solved. Trust me. And feed Bagley until he's averaging 18pts. Then we will have a trio of Bagley fox and Hali. And we will be saved. Trade Barnes and put Holmes on the bench

And Metu and Bagley aren't even what you'd consider "good" shooters, they're just a threat to actually pull it.
You know what they say in the wild west, you're a good shooter if you don't hesitate. That's all.

(What I meant is that, by them not hesitating, you gotta have to respect them enough to not completely sag off of them)

gunks

Hall of Famer
yeah and I’d rather have a guy that doesn’t want to play basketball cause he got his F F F F F FEEWINGS hurt LOL
Haha this guy gets it.

Simmons is a diva. I don’t buy the mental health angle either. He never came out with that until he started losing moola.

I mean, if he gets here I’ll root for him. But I will be SO READY with the I-told-you-soes if it sours.

Edit: on the other hand, if we do land Simmons (I still hope we don’t), and against all odds he embraces the role of saving this toxic franchise, I’ll happily eat crow…

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.