[Game] Kings vs. Raptors, 1/8/2021 7pm PST, 10pm EST

Holmes with the best +/- of the non garbage time players at -4 despite not even getting a rebound.

The one big Walton played this game that plays defense.

Imagine if Walton would have played the elite rim defending, elite rebounding big that we have. Could have changed the game.
It couldn't have hurt but they were running a lot of pick and roll and that's probably the main reason Whiteside didn't have teams knocking down his door in FA. He definitely would've changed those shots at the rim though.

It couldn't have hurt but they were running a lot of pick and roll and that's probably the main reason Whiteside didn't have teams knocking down his door in FA. He definitely would've changed those shots at the rim though.
Maybe Whiteside is the analytics outlier but year in and year out he has basically had better analytics than any player on our team has ever had. You'd think he would get some run out there.

If anything, to stop the bleeding when the other team is scoring at will.

This game tells me Luke is a problem. Why would you keep playing Bjelica, he's garbage turning over the ball and just have no impact on defense. You should put the rosters out there according to how it match up with the other team. When your players make mistake time and time again, you DON'T continue playing them and hope that everything resolve by itself. The reason they make mistake or don't play well is because he's going against the quicker longer lengthy guy that gives him problem.

Kings should never lose to a team that basically unrecognizable from the Championship squad. Guys like Boucher and others should not have a great game. I know Boucher...he was once with the Warriors and was let go...he ain't good. But Kings certainly make him look good. Don't give me excuses like ohhh they still have the Championship DNA or they still have that drive to success...that's bs.....this team is unrecognizable beside VanVleet and Siakam. This is a bad loss.

Last edited:
I’m with Slab! Holmes and Bagley could not stop Siakim or Boucher down low Why no Whiteside ?
He should have slowed them down low.
Luke stayed with small ball all night. WTF Luke!
Buddy and Belicia sucked. He should have put Tyrese on Van Vleet all night! Or small ball lineup could not play defense AT ALL!!’
You know what the problem with Bagley is? He spent too much time in the studio making music instead of at the gym lifting weight and bulking up. Look at his size and muscle....he got push around easily under the basket...it is no wonder he can't defend. Even letting small guy like Eric Gordon drive inside and push him away and score...i was like wtf....no way.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Maybe Whiteside is the analytics outlier but year in and year out he has basically had better analytics than any player on our team has ever had. You'd think he would get some run out there.

If anything, to stop the bleeding when the other team is scoring at will.
I love how people often bring up advanced stats when talking about and pushing agenda for certain players... but then there’s Whiteside who actually has good advanced stats to go with his good counting stats, but it doesn’t matter he just sucks for some reason.

I love how people often bring up advanced stats when talking about and pushing agenda for certain players... but then there’s Whiteside who actually has good advanced stats to go with his good counting stats, but it doesn’t matter he just sucks for some reason.
I think it's because there are stretches where he doesn't even look like he's ever played basketball before. It sticks in people's minds more than him getting 3 blocks in half a quarter.

Because yeah... he's an outlier. NBA teams are significantly smarter than us (mostly) and there's a damn good reason a dude who put up 13/15/2 only got a 1 year min deal at the end of a weak FA class.

So, I haven’t reviewed the game yet. But I kept tabs online.

How KINGS is it that at one point in Q4 they were shooting over 60% for the game and well over 40% from three YET were down close to 20 points?! To a team that was 1-6 coming in, no less. Coming off TWO losses to a Rockets team that still only has 3 wins total.

Unbelievable.

Only my team does crap like that.

This team is missing an elite, physical perimeter defender. Fox and Hali are good defenders, but neither are physical. Get us a Lu Dort type and the playoffs are certain. Or tank. Please don’t treadmill.

Kings are top ten in offense in the first half and bottom ten in the second half of games. The book is out on the Kings. Get physical in the 2H. Need to match that physicality when the other team turns it on. Yet, again, another reason to dump CoJo, who should be playing that role (or to start playing Woodard).

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Add Lu Dort to the Otto Porter/Andrew Wiggins/Alan Crabbe/Yi Jianlian Memorial Kingsfans.com random crushes hall of fame.

Should be noted that statistically, he's actual one of OKC's worst defenders on the season.

Plus they're a young rebuilding team in the same conference as us so I'm not sure why Presti would randomly trade him to us unless we vastly overpay.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You know what the problem with Bagley is? He spent too much time in the studio making music instead of at the gym lifting weight and bulking up. Look at his size and muscle....he got push around easily under the basket...it is no wonder he can't defend. Even letting small guy like Eric Gordon drive inside and push him away and score...i was like wtf....no way.
Sorry to tell you this but size and muscle ain't gonna help a big man slow down guards driving to the rim off of screens.

No team in the NBA is going to win many games giving up 144 points. The Raptors set a record last night for the most points ever scored in a game by their franchise. They shot 53% from 3 and they made plenty of layups. Van Vleet gets 34. The Kings were outrebounded 43-26.

Can the Raptors do that again in their next game? Probably not but the Kings ran no one off the line last night. The inside defense was weak except for Mr. Holmes. I also wonder why we did not see Whiteside. It was the kind of game where the Kings needed to try something to slow down the Raptors. This was really sad. It was a coaching fail.

dude12

Hall of Famer
No team in the NBA is going to win many games giving up 144 points. The Raptors set a record last night for the most points ever scored in a game by their franchise. They shot 53% from 3 and they made plenty of layups. Van Vleet gets 34. The Kings were outrebounded 43-26.

Can the Raptors do that again in their next game? Probably not but the Kings ran no one off the line last night. The inside defense was weak except for Mr. Holmes. I also wonder why we did not see Whiteside. It was the kind of game where the Kings needed to try something to slow down the Raptors. This was really sad. It was a coaching fail.
Raptors won’t do this again. After Oubre torched us for a million 3’s during a 1 for 100 made 3’s shooting slump, he’s gone back to not being able to make any 3’s. Walton needs to figure this out unless he’s the tank commander

Add Lu Dort to the Otto Porter/Andrew Wiggins/Alan Crabbe/Yi Jianlian Memorial Kingsfans.com random crushes hall of fame.

Should be noted that statistically, he's actual one of OKC's worst defenders on the season.

Plus they're a young rebuilding team in the same conference as us so I'm not sure why Presti would randomly trade him to us unless we vastly overpay.
That’s because he’s often guarding the opposing team’s best player.

I’d trade Buddy for him in heartbeat. Would likely require something like Buddy + 3 seconds for Dort + Horford.

Look at last night’s game. The raps had Powell on Fox. Powell is a power guard with a strong base and good feet. Fox didn’t hit any threes last night and really only had one clear win off the dribble against Powell. Dort is Powell on steroids defensively. Hell, I’d trade Buddy plus two seconds for Powell right now. Kings are missing that physical, make your life miserable power guard. Cojo was supposed to play that role, but he never was that (too short) and his defensive play has fallen off a cliff lately.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

I’d trade Buddy for him in heartbeat. Would likely require something like Buddy + 3 seconds for Dort + Horford.

Look at last night’s game. The raps had Powell on Fox. Powell is a power guard with a strong base and good feet. Fox didn’t hit any threes last night and really only had one clear win off the dribble against Powell. Dort is Powell on steroids defensively. Hell, I’d trade Buddy plus two seconds for Powell right now. Kings are missing that physical, make your life miserable power guard. Cojo was supposed to play that role, but he never was that (too short) and his defensive play has fallen off a cliff lately.
That is a horrible trade for all the teams involved. Your opinion of Buddy has already long been noted but we’d be taking on an albatross of a contract for the privilege of taking a guy who probably projects out to be a 7th/8th man at best on a team that isn’t actively trying to position itself for a chance at Cade Cunningham.

The thing about Dort is that he is currently shooting unsustainable numbers from the perimeter for him and offensively has just as many issues handling the ball as CoJo and Buddy do. Combine that with the fact that he’s undersized for an offguard and even further undersized against wings and I don’t think he’ll really actually fix all that many issues that this team has defensively. Essentially you’d be trading one of the top shooters in the league for Patrick Beverly but worse at offense.

Norm Powell has also largely looked awful this season when not playing the Kings.

That is a horrible trade for all the teams involved. Your opinion of Buddy has already long been noted but we’d be taking on an albatross of a contract for the privilege of taking a guy who probably projects out to be a 7th/8th man at best on a team that isn’t actively trying to position itself for a chance at Cade Cunningham.

The thing about Dort is that he is currently shooting unsustainable numbers from the perimeter for him and offensively has just as many issues handling the ball as CoJo and Buddy do. Combine that with the fact that he’s undersized for an offguard and even further undersized against wings and I don’t think he’ll really actually fix all that many issues that this team has defensively. Essentially you’d be trading one of the top shooters in the league for Patrick Beverly but worse at offense.

Norm Powell has also largely looked awful this season when not playing the Kings.
The team’s biggest issue is on the perimeter, defensively. As for Dort and Powell, they’re more valuable than Buddy. His play this year and most of last year won’t return much. Sell now before it goes even lower.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The team’s biggest issue is on the perimeter, defensively. As for Dort and Powell, they’re more valuable than Buddy. His play this year and most of last year won’t return much. Sell now before it goes even lower.
So why trade him then?

I can't tell if you are being serious or sarcastic

Dort can guard the 6’7 wings. You havent watched him enough if u think otherwuse. N his handle is much better than Buddy’s.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Dort can guard the 6’7 wings. You havent watched him enough if u think otherwuse. N his handle is much better than Buddy’s.
I mean, he can but it's not ideal. It's the same issue the Rockets faced with PJ Tucker at center. Sure, he can man up a guy in the post for three or four possessions but the bigger guys are just going to play over his head like Ingram did in their matchups this season. Dort looks like he'll be a solid on the ball defensive role player guy in his career, which is nice to have but not if he's your go-to small forward. This is actually a similar problem we're seeing with CoJo in our three guard lineups as he usually gets stuck on wing and outsized regardless of good defensive effort or positioning. If we're going to trade Buddy for a dude to guard wings, I'd rather he be an actual wing and not a short guard we're forcing to defend out of position.

On the issue of Dort's offense, Dort currently has a 1 to 1 assist to turnover ratio and he struggles to create for others or himself whenever teams actually bother guarding him on that end of the court. As a spot up shooter, he'll probably end up settling back down around the .350 range, which is what Buddy is shooting now despite being in the midst of a horrific shooting slump.

I realize Buddy is like enemy number one for you and Dort is apparently your new player crush so this is like a wet dream for you but selling super low on Buddy and taking on three seasons of Horford's max contract for a fourth guard is how bad teams stay bad.

Which would improve us by what? At best two or three wins?

In a season we aren't particularly interested in selling the farm to compete in?
So I’m for the tank, but if there are no changes this team us treadmilling. Get Dort and the makes the playoffs. Ditto for Powell.