Kings Vs. New Orleans game thread - 11/29, 6pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the way that decent / good teams play: get fat off the weak teams, especially at home, and fight against the elite teams. To say that I am happy with the Kings's start would be an understatement. The Kings approached the Nets in much the same way that a playoff team considers their opponent in a series, the other team can not, will not win. And for that, the Kings got a little fatter over Thanksgiving weekend, and I got a little more thankful.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That doesn't suggest that we have no more work to do, and that we are a playoff contender all of a sudden. No, no, no. We all watched the third quarter, mortified that we would relive the Clippers streak of 1999 (we fell to the Clippers after they had lost 17 in a row). Fortunately, we have a competent coaching staff, and a timeout and a few good drawn up plays lifted the team out of its funk. The exceptional play of Beno, KT, Casspi and Rodriguez off the bench deserves a rousing applause.

What caused the slip? I think it was mental, halftime came and everybody cooled off. It may have been laziness induced by the ease with which our dominance came in the first half, it may have just been players stiffening up, hard to say. If you pull that stunt against anyone but the Nets you will go from 22 up to 10 down in that same amount of time. The Kings have been playing banged up, a consequence of playing the scrappy, tough style that we're all growing to love, and that slowed Hawes and Thompson. I hope they can loosen up for the Hornets, we're gonna need them.
Awards:

TDM: Brook Lopez, that dude's a beast. (Douglas-Roberts nets a close second).
LW-VC: Courtney Lee. 3 mins. No impact.
JHA: Sean May. Dude, don't get in the game and help the other team. Not very professional.
SAR-Methuselah: Trenton Hassel. Because he's thirty;). No, really it's because I've seen him play alot better.
RA&1: Look! The originator of the award gets the award! Congrats Rafer!

WTF Moment of the game: Sean May rotates into the cutter on the perimeter, bowling over his guy and the other team's guy, and just stands there holding the ball looking dumbfounded. Way to go guy. Excellent play.

Next up
: New Orleans.

Good news: No Chris Paul.

Bad News: Darren Collison and David West have stepped up their games to compensate. Collison outplayed Brandon Jennings to help lift the Hornets past the Bucks the other day. David West put up a 27 - 10 line in the same game. Of course, the Bucks have no front line to speak of, so we can take that with a grain of salt.

The Hornets have won 4 of their last five games. Is it the Ewing Effect (That mysterious phenomenon that induces teams to become better when their star player is languishing on the bench)? Perhaps, but the Kings match up well with the Hornets, and I expect an entertaining game at the least, a resounding win at best. Evans, Greene and Udrih should be able to pick apart the N.O. back court with ease. If Hawes and Thompson are still ailing, the team may struggle against Okafor and David West.

Kings 104
Hornets 97

Pts: Evans 23, West 19
Rebounds: Casspi/Thompson tie for 7, Okafor 11
Assts: Udrih 5, Collison 6
Blocks: Hawes 3, Okafor 1

Should be an entertaining game, both teams are roughly in the same boat with key players injured and nearly identical records. Both are improving their offenses and playing with energy. Tune in, chill out, enjoy.

GO KINGS!

Last edited:
David West always seems to kill us, and he's really stepped up his game since CP3 went out.

JT hasn't done a good job on West in their prior match-ups (as much as I continue to expect him too), so if Hawes does not play, I think I'd rather see JT on Okafor if possible. If we go that route, then I would actually prefer to see Brockman start.

I know that Brockman isn't a great defender, but West isn't really that tall. I think that if Brockman comes out of the gate and is really physical with West it might throw West off his offensive rhythm. Brockman can focus 100% on making things uncomfortable for West, and if Brockman ends up adding anything on the offensive end so much the better.

If we can contain West, and if Tyreke can shut down Collison, there should be no excuses for not getting a win tonight.

I'm OK with playing Brockman his full 6 fouls worth. If nothing else that will get West's attention. If Hawes can't go lets see JT at the 5 and Brockman and KT tag team West.

KB

Thank goodness I got NBA league pass and can follow the Kings here in Toronto. My interest in my local Raptors is rapidly diminishing. Very difficult to root for a team this SOFT. I think the only time I will go to a game this season will be Feb 7th, when Omri visits the Air Canada Centre. Bringing my bro-in-law and a couple of Israeli flags. Considering the Raptors atrocious record against western conference teams in those Sunday matinées the Kings will probably win.

Worried about tonite. NO will play hard without CP3.

Maybe we see Thompson at center and Greene at the pf for most of the night. I hope so.
I dont think that would be very smart actually...Okafor and West would have a field day IMO. I think good ole' K9 would be the better option with Brockman laying down the lumber every once and a while. Greene isnt big enough to guard Okafor or West.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From the Bee:

Center Spencer Hawes (bruised right knee) is questionable for tonight's game against New Orleans. Forward Jason Thompson (bruised lower back) is probable. Neither practiced Saturday.

http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/2356279.html
Keep in mind that was written in time for the Bee to go to press at about 10 p.m. last night, so I wouldn't rely on it either way.

(Of course, I haven't read the rest of the thread, so there might be updated info...in which case I shall delete this message. :p )

Is this the most injury-prone team in the league or what? Why do our players get injured on consistent basis? I know that JT got hurt by playing aggressive basketball, which we all love, but it seem like the Kings get hurt always and everywhere...games, practices, etc

Tough being a Kings fan

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Is this the most injury-prone team in the league or what? Why do our players get injured on consistent basis? I know that JT got hurt by playing aggressive basketball, which we all love, but it seem like the Kings get hurt always and everywhere...games, practices, etc

Tough being a Kings fan

Thing is all fans of every team feel the same way. How do you think Nets fans feel this year? Or Bucks fans? Or Clippers fans? Or Mavs fans? Or Houston fans?

Its one of those cardinal rules of fandom -- every team's fans think its team gets screwed by injuries, and screwed by the refs.

Heck, we should feel lucky -- our injuries appear to have actually made us stronger, and let us see what we really had with Reke.

15 games into the season and I've been able to listen to Jerry and Grant 3 times. There not perfect, but I'd much rather listen to two guys put all of there man love on our players than listening to that garbage from the other teams.

As far as KT starting, it's fun and all, but I'd prefer Donte or Brock.

Status
Not open for further replies.