[Game] Kings vs Hornets (Vegas Summer League) Monday, August 9, 3 PM PT (6 PM ET), NBATV

Mitchell may only have 1 steal on the stat sheet but he had a minimum of 6 possessions where he knocked the ball off the offensive player for a turnover. Bouknight only scored one bucket on him and that other guy scored one. Gave up 4 points total. Heck of a night. During the 2nd half, the Hornets were double teaming him just to get the ball out of his hands to make someone else beat them. I didn't think he was playing well enough offensively for them to need to do that but it goes to show the respect he has on both sides of the ball.

Speaking of respect, I'm really hoping he gets this defensive reputation built up during SL so when the regular season starts, the officials will actually let him go out there and play defense. The more he does this, the more they're going to have to let him get at it.

It's going to be real interesting to see if Fox can teach Davion some tricks when it comes to driving and finishing and vice versa on defense. I don't think Fox is going to be able to move laterally as well as Davion because he's not built as well for it but these guys have a lot to teach each other.

Swag started very Swag like but really turned it up in the 2nd half. Played solid defense all game and watch clutch offensively for us in the 2nd half when the offense was stalling.

Queta is really fast for a guy his size. Should be interesting to see his development. Needs to learn how to use his body better for rebounds but he is a massive lob target. I thought the rim was coming down, ala Shaq, on that first alley oop from Mitchell.

King making a case for himself. If he can just hit 35% from beyond the arc, he should be able to be a solid 3&D guy who can do a little more if asked.

Woodard making a case for Vivek's 4 on 5 idea, just inverted. Leave Woodard on defense to defend the entire time and never let him cross half court to play offense.
And the one basket Bouknight scored on him? Funneled him right into a Queta challenge where he had to make an incredibly difficult shot off-balance against the rim protector. Still a pretty good defensive possession.

Woodard's offense is beyond awful right now, but I think he continues to shine pretty well at the 4 on defense. He's trying offensive moves, which is great in Summer League, but he can still be a valuable if he continues to play strong D (had a really nice 1on1 defensive possession vs Bouknight where he for some reason had no weakside help at the rim) and hit the occasional corner 3. I think developing him as the new and improved PJ Tucker 2.0 and working him in as a small-ball 5 in addition to being a 4 could help him stick.

I really do like Queta. His extra gear of athleticism I think gives him a much better chance to stick over the other giants in the league (Drummond, Whiteside, Bradley) where teams just can't expose him in space and play him off the floor. I like Terry, but the defense was notably better with Queta rim protection and he had numerous great contests at the rim today. The big highlight was him SPRINTING back on defense to get the transition block that lead to the massive King slam the seal the game at the other end. He may not know exactly where to be at all times with regards to positioning, but I'll always respect a guy that's out there looking to work, play hard on defense, set good screens on O and really rim runs hard.

King is super exciting because the prospect we stole a quality big-wing that defends, be a spacer, great athleticism/measurables (6'7 with a 7'0.5 wingspan) AND has on-ball creation upside can be something that can directly kick up the trajectory and upside of the Kings. He's got to be consistent as a C&S 3pt spacer (which I think both of his 3pters today were exactly that), but I think he's pretty much the exact archetype of player you look for to slide in at the 3 with Fox/Hali at the 1-2 and Barnes-Holmes at the 4-5. I'm bummed we're going to have to watch Harkless be "kind of ok" all year and it'll keep King out of the rotation. I'd be comfortable giving him those 12-15 minutes as the back-up 3 with the main team, but unfortunately just a 0.0% chance of that happening with Luke.

Ramsey had the exact kind of game he needed to show his progress and that he does belong at the NBA level. His defense and ball-pressure was outstanding honestly and only didn't stand out more because Mitchell was making Bouknight question his career choice on every possession. He turned it on the 2nd half and got some shots to go down. Has to get more consistent as a shooter if he wants to stick, but the 3&D guard/wings can have a 10+ year career shelf-life. Looking forward to him continuing the progress.

-Metu looks too good for summer league, which is a great sign for us. I think he's found his niche as a "big 4" with the ability to space and create a little bit off the bounce. This was always the hope for Bagley that he could punish teams playing wings at the 4 with his size, but not give up the quickness advantage on defense. Getting him away from the beef of playing center opens him up to help more with weakside rim protection and not bullied on the boards. He needs to be in the rotation for sure.

All in all, a pretty exciting group of developmental guys. I'm just glad that McNair has clearly made it a priority and I think a lot of these guys skill-sets can really help the main core at some point.

Last edited:
What would be great is to see our Gleague team just crush it. Queta, Woodard, Swag and King make for a pretty interesting starting 4 (who knows on the other guy)

Speaking of King, has there ever been an undrafted 6'7+ wing that has gone on to have a good NBA career?

I answered my own question. Not many but Bruce Bowen was one. Raja Bell was 6'5 with all NBA defense

One thing I wanted to add, Mitchell said after the last Cali game that he needed to do a better job of setting up his teammates. Today? 9 assists 0 TO. After today's game he talked about how the Cali Classic taught him the space, pace and athleticism of the NBA and that prepared him for this game. That's Haliburton level talk. Observe, put in work, results.
man I don’t even know if it’s even Haliburton level. Could just be Mitchell level imo