[Game] Kings vs Hornets (Vegas Summer League) Monday, August 9, 3 PM PT (6 PM ET), NBATV

We still need to see that little pick and pop potential he's got. The biggest issue is whether or not he's going to get the Hibbert treatment from teams. Just waiting for him to sag off pick and roll time and time again. If he can get some offensive skills or moves going like a mid range jumper his chances go up dramatically as far as sticking in the NBA.
yeah he kinda just got here. Stash him in the gleague and get this kid a mentor

Kings need to hold onto Louis King. He's been by far the biggest surprise and has shown a really valuable skill-set as a big wing. His handle is loose, but he still has comfort creating off the dribble and shooting over people or getting to the rim. Has excellent wingspan/athleticism. Has a good shot and looks comfortable in C&S situations. Applies good defensive pressure and his wingspan really plays in passing lanes and challenging shooters.

Wasn't the same focal point as he was in the Cali Classic, but still had a major impact on defense and in a more off-ball role:

10 points
5 rebounds
4 assists
4 steals
40% FG
28% from 3 (2 for 7 from 3 the only wart on his night imo)

He's an NBA player with starter potential imo. You just don't see many big wings with his 2-way skill-set.

“In 22 minutes, Queta dropped in nine points, grabbed six rebounds and had a huge block late to help seal the win. He is starting to settle in and find his confidence, which is a good thing for the Kings’ Summer League chances.”

Hopefully Queta gets some PT in the pros here and there this season

Couldn't watch the game, but from the commentary here sounds like there was a lot to be happy with.

The two guys I'm most interested in: Davion and Metu. To me, the only serious question with Davion is whether NBA refs will let a rookie play the kind of defense he does. Would love to hear yer takes on that. If the answer is yes, are there *still* any questions on whether his defense can be better than Wright's in Year 1?

W/Metu: does his 3-ball look legit? How's his defense? FOUR assists?! That might have been the most surprising number in the box score. Between his play w/Team Nigeria in the Olympics and tonight, he's had a *very* strong summer. No doubt Monte and Walton are watching.

Would LOVE to see him claim consistent rotation minutes opposite HB when the real games start. Who sees it happen?

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Couldn't watch the game, but from the commentary here sounds there was a lot to be happy with.

The two guys I'm most interested in: Davion and Metu. To me, the only serious question with Davion is whether NBA refs will let a rookie play the kind fo defense he does. Would love to hear yer takes on that.

W/Metu: does his 3-ball look legit? How's his defense? FOUR assists?! That might have been the most surprising number in the box score.

Would LOVE to see him claim consistent rotation minutes opposite HB when the real games start. Who's seeing it happen?
He plays defense by beating his man to the spot, doesn’t reach, plays with his chest, I don’t know how the refs wouldn’t let him play that way. He doesn’t foul with his hands

He plays defense by beating his man to the spot, doesn’t reach, plays with his chest, I don’t know how the refs wouldn’t let him play that way. He doesn’t foul with his hands
Yes, and....3 reasons to wonder how it'll go.
  1. He plays very physically.
  2. Offensive players get a LOT of calls on contact they initiate in the NBA.
  3. He's a rookie. That matters.

In that other thread, a few guys were saying that for the first year D Wright’s defense would be better than D Mitchell. There is still time to back out of that statement
It’s G League. I didn’t see the game but I’m good with it. That being said, I’m glad Mitchell looks good. Fox better learn to play some.

I said it before, will say it again: IMAGINE the effect if his attitude - toward preparation and film study, pride in shutting the opposition down - ripples thru the team? He's got physical skills others don't, but if his 'tude rubs off...
totally agree and eww, gross

It’s G League. I didn’t see the game but I’m good with it. That being said, I’m glad Mitchell looks good. Fox better learn to play some.
not that I’m keeping my hopes up but if Fox starts playing defense even 24 minutes a night, I’m pretty sure we get a couple to a few more wins a season

not that I’m keeping my hopes up but if Fox starts playing defense even 24 minutes a night, I’m pretty sure we get a couple to a few more wins a season
It will be interesting because historically Fox has played crap defense. It’s not beyond reason Fox is the worst 2 way player in a few years.

Mitchell may only have 1 steal on the stat sheet but he had a minimum of 6 possessions where he knocked the ball off the offensive player for a turnover. Bouknight only scored one bucket on him and that other guy scored one. Gave up 4 points total. Heck of a night. During the 2nd half, the Hornets were double teaming him just to get the ball out of his hands to make someone else beat them. I didn't think he was playing well enough offensively for them to need to do that but it goes to show the respect he has on both sides of the ball.

Speaking of respect, I'm really hoping he gets this defensive reputation built up during SL so when the regular season starts, the officials will actually let him go out there and play defense. The more he does this, the more they're going to have to let him get at it.

It's going to be real interesting to see if Fox can teach Davion some tricks when it comes to driving and finishing and vice versa on defense. I don't think Fox is going to be able to move laterally as well as Davion because he's not built as well for it but these guys have a lot to teach each other.

Swag started very Swag like but really turned it up in the 2nd half. Played solid defense all game and watch clutch offensively for us in the 2nd half when the offense was stalling.

Queta is really fast for a guy his size. Should be interesting to see his development. Needs to learn how to use his body better for rebounds but he is a massive lob target. I thought the rim was coming down, ala Shaq, on that first alley oop from Mitchell.

King making a case for himself. If he can just hit 35% from beyond the arc, he should be able to be a solid 3&D guy who can do a little more if asked.

Woodard making a case for Vivek's 4 on 5 idea, just inverted. Leave Woodard on defense to defend the entire time and never let him cross half court to play offense.

Mitchell may only have 1 steal on the stat sheet but he had a minimum of 6 possessions where he knocked the ball off the offensive player for a turnover. Bouknight only scored one bucket on him and that other guy scored one. Gave up 4 points total. Heck of a night. During the 2nd half, the Hornets were double teaming him just to get the ball out of his hands to make someone else beat them. I didn't think he was playing well enough offensively for them to need to do that but it goes to show the respect he has on both sides of the ball.
One thing I wanted to add, Mitchell said after the last Cali game that he needed to do a better job of setting up his teammates. Today? 9 assists 0 TO. After today's game he talked about how the Cali Classic taught him the space, pace and athleticism of the NBA and that prepared him for this game. That's Haliburton level talk. Observe, put in work, results.