[Game] Kings vs. Hornets 2/28/21, 7pm PST, 10pm EST

On a night when Hield was hitting, Barnes was stepping up and the Kings had 3 players over 20 points, they still lost because they gave up even more points to a Hornets team with injuries. Washington goes for 42 points. If you don't think the Kings problems can be summed up in the word "Defense" we are not watching the same games.

On a night when Hield was hitting, Barnes was stepping up and the Kings had 3 players over 20 points, they still lost because they gave up even more points to a Hornets team with injuries. Washington goes for 42 points. If you don't think the Kings problems can be summed up in the word "Defense" we are not watching the same games.
Extremely well said.

This is the worst stretch of defensive basketball I have ever seen the Kings play.

Extremely well said.

This is the worst stretch of defensive basketball I have ever seen the Kings play.
it’s hard as coach to scheme around multiple bad defenders. Look at Thibs in Minnesota versus Thibs in New York. Did he suddenly become a lot smarter? Nope.

unfortunately the Kings have a roster full of average to poor defenders. While I don’t think Luke is the best coach in the world, even a great defensive coach like Thibs would struggle with this group of players.

it’s hard as coach to scheme around multiple bad defenders. Look at Thibs in Minnesota versus Thibs in New York. Did he suddenly become a lot smarter? Nope.

unfortunately the Kings have a roster full of average to poor defenders. While I don’t think Luke is the best coach in the world, even a great defensive coach like Thibs would struggle with this group of players.
To a degree, I agree. But Buddy is the only real hole in the starting line up on D... yes Bagley needs to get way better. But we are playing waaaaay below our defensive talent level.

Fox, Barnes, and Holmes have defensive skills. Whiteside has some and can change the momentum of games for short periods of time.
Halliburton is good and going to be a great defender. But in today's NBA,. 4 defensive players are not nearly enough.

Bagley and Hield are really bad at it. So are a lot of the Kings' players whose names were not mentioned.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Speaking of Thibbs,I’d love to see him or a coach like him with a defensive mentally take the same group of Kings so that we could compare.

I truly believe Walton is in way over his head. A bad coach. I think Holmes gets a pass on defense. Not that he’s terrible, but I think he is one of the better guys performing and in comparison it appears he’s better. I just know about that. I do think Barnes is fairly solid. Hield and Bagley, IMO, are not as bad as data says as they do play good defense at times but in other times, they will struggle with certain matchups. Fox just needs to apply himself more but he’s also carrying the load on offense. Hali has potential.

Bjelica isn’t good on D. Cojo has been the worst and Walton continues to mistake him for an above average guy but that is one huge reason why I think Walton is terruble. Apparently he can’t tell which makes me think he just can’t get these guys to be better.

DQJ can be really good, I’m hoping Woodard is what the scouts anticipate him to be.

I mean this is epically bad.

Halliburton plays and the Kings win by 5+ pts. Tough loss -- highly winnable.
If Luke Walton doesn't put a bum leg Buddy at the line and Cojo on defense they have a shot to win. Losers are going to find a way to lose and players bailing out bad decision making isn't a recipe for success. Buddy gave it his best attempt prior to this season but even he's waning since he's rarely in a position to explode which has thrown his game off totally.

Tanking so these players get used to losing culture? I’m still against that.
And the main issue is the Kings aren't truly bustling with a ton of young young talent. They have some decent prospects but this is mostly a fairly ready to go team when it comes to their main pieces. Even Haliburton is mostly developed already outside of his much needed physical development. This is a hard team to tank with. Look at the Pistons the other night. Grants just happy to finally be the man and with the exception of Plumlee it's all youth. Now that's the type of team to tank your way to a top pick with. They go into the draft with no issues taking BPA as their main building block for the future and a ready built team of nice young talent to sprinkle in around it. The Kings have to be careful because a big that conflicts with Bagley or a guard that gets in the way of Fox and Haliburton simply will not work.

To a degree, I agree. But Buddy is the only real hole in the starting line up on D... yes Bagley needs to get way better. But we are playing waaaaay below our defensive talent level.
Come on. Bagley is getting better but he is still a major defensive hole. No coach can scheme around two wings who are among the worst in the league. Buddy has the 5th worst defensive field goal percentage among starters and Bagley is 9th worst.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/d...ort=PCT_PLUSMINUS&dir=1&StarterBench=Starters

Fox, Barnes, and Holmes have defensive skills. Whiteside has some and can change the momentum of games for short periods of time.
Halliburton is good and going to be a great defender. But in today's NBA,. 4 defensive players are not nearly enough.

Bagley and Hield are really bad at it. So are a lot of the Kings' players whose names were not mentioned.
Barnes is an average defender in the league. Fox has potential but has not been a plus defender.

Speaking of Thibbs,I’d love to see him or a coach like him with a defensive mentally take the same group of Kings so that we could compare.

I truly believe Walton is in way over his head. A bad coach. I think Holmes gets a pass on defense. Not that he’s terrible, but I think he is one of the better guys performing and in comparison it appears he’s better. I just know about that. I do think Barnes is fairly solid. Hield and Bagley, IMO, are not as bad as data says as they do play good defense at times but in other times, they will struggle with certain matchups. Fox just needs to apply himself more but he’s also carrying the load on offense. Hali has potential.

Bjelica isn’t good on D. Cojo has been the worst and Walton continues to mistake him for an above average guy but that is one huge reason why I think Walton is terruble. Apparently he can’t tell which makes me think he just can’t get these guys to be better.

DQJ can be really good, I’m hoping Woodard is what the scouts anticipate him to be.

I mean this is epically bad.
Defense is played as a team and guys have to know and anticipate where they need to be. Too many Kings players don’t make the right decisions. Bjelicia can get targeted on D but he is a much better defender than Bagley because he has a pretty decent IQ.

Walton had really only 8 players available last night. Kyle Guy can’t play defense either. That being said it was not the first time Buddy choked at the line with the game on the line. If I wanted to win, I would have put Barnes or Bjelicia on the line.

And the main issue is the Kings aren't truly bustling with a ton of young young talent. They have some decent prospects but this is mostly a fairly ready to go team when it comes to their main pieces. Even Haliburton is mostly developed already outside of his much needed physical development. This is a hard team to tank with. Look at the Pistons the other night. Grants just happy to finally be the man and with the exception of Plumlee it's all youth. Now that's the type of team to tank your way to a top pick with. They go into the draft with no issues taking BPA as their main building block for the future and a ready built team of nice young talent to sprinkle in around it. The Kings have to be careful because a big that conflicts with Bagley or a guard that gets in the way of Fox and Haliburton simply will not work.
Which is why they need to trade for some young talent. The obvious choice is Boston for Barnes but neither Ainge nor McNair will likely move to a reasonable trade.

Defense is played as a team and guys have to know and anticipate where they need to be. Too many Kings players don’t make the right decisions. Bjelicia can get targeted on D but he is a much better defender than Bagley because he has a pretty decent IQ.

Walton had really only 8 players available last night. Kyle Guy can’t play defense either. That being said it was not the first time Buddy choked at the line with the game on the line. If I wanted to win, I would have put Barnes or Bjelicia on the line.
Oh stop it. Clutch below defined as last two minutes where score is within 5 points. Added your boy Bogi for good measure. You wanna make something up about defense and whatnot be my guest, but at least make an attempt to hide your absurdity when it comes to cold hard shooting stats.

analysis.PNG

dude12

Hall of Famer
Oh stop it. Clutch below defined as last two minutes where score is within 5 points. Added your boy Bogi for good measure. You wanna make something up about defense and whatnot be my guest, but at least make an attempt to hide your absurdity when it comes to cold hard shooting stats.

View attachment 10469
Ah yes, the myth of Bogi being a clutch player. One of the most overrated players we have had. Hield actually has an elite skill whereas Bogi is a player who developed all-around skills of averageness.

View attachment 10469
No one is making up data about Buddy being a bad defender. In terms of end of game shooting percentage Buddy has hardly been stellar.

Attachments

No one is making up data about Buddy being a bad defender. In terms of end of game shooting percentage Buddy has hardly been stellar.
You clearly said choked AT THE LINE, and that you'd rather have Barnes or Belly shooting the FTs. The entire context has to do with shooting FTs and now you casually bring up FG% in the last 5min of the game as if it's even relevant to your point and the discussion. Stop moving the goalposts when you're just wrong.