[Game] Kings vs Bucks 2/27- 7PT/10ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, it looks like they were trying to run Buddy across the key in front of De'Aaron to try and rub Bledsoe off of him but Buddy got tied up by his man and no one else decided to even try to get open.
They weren’t supposed to. They were supposed to clear the lane not cross it. Bogdan tried to flare back and given Fox an outlet but to his credit Fox ran the play Joeger called. Clear the lane and let Fox go ISO. Not bad but not good against the match up Milwaukee had.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
They weren’t supposed to. They were supposed to clear the lane not cross it. Bogdan tried to flare back and given Fox an outlet but to his credit Fox ran the play Joeger called. Clear the lane and let Fox go ISO. Not bad but not good against the match up Milwaukee had.
But when the play breaks down like that, there needs to be more than just standing around.

To be fair, with the way Bledsoe was playing to end the game there's a good chance both of those guys (especially Buddy) would have turned the ball over before even getting the chance to dribble the clock out.

(I was lobbying for Bogie to get the final show BTW soooooo)
True but the play design had no movement off the ball to generate a favorable mismatch for the Kings. That play design was on Joeger not the players.

But when the play breaks down like that, there needs to be more than just standing around.
It didn’t break down. It was an ISO play but poorly designed because it was not a good match-up. For better or worse, Dave does not like free lancing. He hammered Buddy when he made the shot. He has hammered Giles for popping. Fox had is ISO and the players went with it.

The highlight of the night for me was when Harry Giles turned it on for his fallen teammate. You can tell that had a major impact on him and probably brought back some bad memories. His heart was the reason we had a chance at the end of regulation to win that game. He needs Bagley's minutes while Bags heals up.
I agree that Harry should get Bag's minutes, but it's not going to happen. That's not Joerger's way. Harry may get a few more minutes than usual, but rightly or wrongly coach has a plan for Harry. Even in his interview today on Grant's show, Joerger said he'd be giving more minutes to several players, and none of those he mentioned were named Harry.

It wasn't an ISO for Fox. Joerger said he was putting the ball in his best playmaker's hands. But this time it didn't work. Is it so difficult to give credit to Bledsoe?
How does putting the ball in his best players hands contradict it? BTW, I have no problem with Fox driving to the basket. He has proven to be clutch. It was not having a play to generate a mis-match we could exploit.

I agree that Harry should get Bag's minutes, but it's not going to happen. That's not Joerger's way. Harry may get a few more minutes than usual, but rightly or wrongly coach has a plan for Harry. Even in his interview today on Grant's show, Joerger said he'd be giving more minutes to several players, and none of those he mentioned were named Harry.
Curious. Who did he mention?

Joeger has Harry on a tight leash and I’m not certain why. Harry appears to be a slightly better shooter than Marvin

https://stats.nba.com/players/shoot...son&TeamID=1610612758&PlayerExperience=Rookie

But Harry has an absolute Red light on attempting a 3 while Marvin has a complete Green light.

I think what De'Aaron should do is back up to the midcourt line and that gives him more space to run. With that momentum, i don't think anybody can guard him with that speed. He was trying to dance and get around him with limited space. Russell Westbrook tend to do that....run back to create more speed to utilize his speed and quickness. So, i have no problem with Fox ISO play, i just think someone need to teach him to be smart in using spaces.

It wasn't an ISO for Fox. Joerger said he was putting the ball in his best playmaker's hands. But this time it didn't work. Is it so difficult to give credit to Bledsoe?
It was most definitely ISO. I know 1-4 flat when I see it.

Once Swipa caught the ball (btw Bledsoe got away with a push that nearly sent Fox into the back court), all 4 teammates — even WCS were spread out beyond the 3 pt line. Two in the short corner and two at the arc near each sideline. They were about as spread out as a team can get.

The only player that moved at all was Bogie, who backed up about 3 steps to make himself available for a pass. Everyone else essentially held in place, with Buddy drifting in a bit inside the line.

As far as Bledsoe is concerned, he gets credit but only partial credit from me. The truth is he could have been called for a foul on 2 separate occasions depending on the night and the officiating crew.
On the catch and the 2nd attempt to drive which was a blocking move and a bit of a reach (We’ve all seen far less called). He had the benefit of knowing the Bucks had a foul to give, otherwise he would have taken a huge risk playing as physically as he did.

He gets credit for knowing the situation and executing extremely well while being fortunate it worked out and no foul was called. But we’ve all seen a thousand games and the opposite can easily happen too. But, again, unless Fox was in the act of shooting, Bledsoe knew he had nothing to worry about except potentially another inbound play — unless of course the KINGS actually ran a play to take advantage of the Bucks aggressiveness knowing they weren’t in the penalty and set them up for a back door move. But I digress....

If the Bucks had been in the penalty already — as is usually the case at the end of games — I’m pretty sure that possession turns out a bit differently even if the KINGS don’t score to win it. I’m pretty sure they would have got a shot off at least.

It was most definitely ISO. I know 1-4 flat when I see it.

Once Swipa caught the ball (btw Bledsoe got away with a push that nearly sent Fox into the back court), all 4 teammates — even WCS were spread out beyond the 3 pt line. Two in the short corner and two at the arc near each sideline. They were about as spread out as a team can get.

The only player that moved at all was Bogie, who backed up about 3 steps to make himself available for a pass. Everyone else essentially held in place, with Buddy drifting in a bit inside the line.

As far as Bledsoe is concerned, he gets credit but only partial credit from me. The truth is he could have been called for a foul on 2 separate occasions depending on the night and the officiating crew.
On the catch and the 2nd attempt to drive which was a blocking move and a bit of a reach (We’ve all seen far less called). He had the benefit of knowing the Bucks had a foul to give, otherwise he would have taken a huge risk playing as physically as he did.

He gets credit for knowing the situation and executing extremely well while being fortunate it worked out and no foul was called. But we’ve all seen a thousand games and the opposite can easily happen too. But, again, unless Fox was in the act of shooting, Bledsoe knew he had nothing to worry about except potentially another inbound play — unless of course the KINGS actually ran a play to take advantage of the Bucks aggressiveness knowing they weren’t in the penalty and set them up for a back door move. But I digress....

If the Bucks had been in the penalty already — as is usually the case at the end of games — I’m pretty sure that possession turns out a bit differently even if the KINGS don’t score to win it. I’m pretty sure they would have got a shot off at least.
There was a lack of movement on that play for sure. Unfortunately that's not the first time we've seen what looks like an ISO play - due to non or ineffective movement by the other players. But that doesn't mean Joerger called an ISO play, or that it was Fox's intention to go ISO. Joerger may have called it, but that's not what he was saying today when asked. The way that so many of you throw the word ISO around here, maybe the meaning of the word has become meaningless and no longer refers to an Isolation play?

There was a lack of movement on that play for sure. Unfortunately that's not the first time we've seen what looks like an ISO play - due to non or ineffective movement by the other players. But that doesn't mean Joerger called an ISO play, or that it was Fox's intention to go ISO. Joerger may have called it, but that's not what he was saying today when asked. The way that so many of you throw the word ISO around here, maybe the meaning of the word has become meaningless and no longer refers to an Isolation play?
I understand what you’re saying but regardless what was called or intended, 1-4 flat is what happened.

I mean, I still have a hard time accepting the idea that Barnes, Bogi, WCS and Buddy just happened to space themselves in a 1-4 flat alignment then sit idle if the coach didn’t draw up that play in the timeout. They were all on the same page and all did the same thing. And when Foxy made his moves, not one of them cut or made any movement to get open other than Bogi which was slight at best.

If that’s not the definition of an ISO play then you’re right — I don’t know what it is. ;)

If it looks like spade and acts like a spade, then it’s a spade.

Here's a picture from Fox's snap chat posted on the Kings sub Reddit. Shiner courtesy of Brook Lopez. No call of course. ( Circle not by me :p)

View attachment 8990
Yeah, the lack of calls for Swipa is beyond disturbing. I hope that narrative changes some day soon.

The ridiculous foul on Bogi against Giannis brought back memories of Kobe and Mike Bibby sans the elbow to the face. Of course upon 2nd and 3rd reviews, Bogi got away with a travel and a 3 sec violation on the bucket that tied the game at 124. So there’s that.

At least they didn’t call Swipa or Buddy for their spectacular block on Bledsoe. The arena was so loud that I wasn’t sure what the deal was when it happened. The crowd booed so I thought a foul was whistled when it was just determined to be Bucks ball out of bounds.

What did Joeger say exactly. If he said his intention was to get the ball in Fox’s hands then that isn’t contradictory to what play was called and reinforces Dave did call it.

For those saying the players could have freelanced you have got to be kidding. DJ has made it very clear freelancing is not tolerated.

What did Joeger say exactly. If he said his intention was to get the ball in Fox’s hands then that isn’t contradictory to what play was called and reinforces Dave did call it.
For those saying the players could have freelanced you have got to be kidding. DJ has made it very clear freelancing is not tolerated.
I previously said what Joerger said about it (based on my interpretation, of course). You kind of dismissed it. But here it goes one more time:
Joerger said that on that last play in regulation, he put the ball in his best playmaker's hands and... it didn't work out. And Bledsoe was terrific on that play. Or possibly someone else said Bledsoe was great on that play and Joerger affirmed. This is not a quote, obviously, but I'm fairly sure I caught the gist of it. And I'm 99.9% sure he used the phrase "best playmaker" when referring to Fox on that play because I immediately thought "Wait, Fox is not our BEST playmaker, coach!" But I digress.

Here is the final play of regulation. Irregardless of whether a foul occurs before the strip, it seems pretty clear to me that Bledsoe gets a clean strip of the ball. He was playing good defense and as Grant, @KingsFanSince85 , and others have pointed out they had a foul to give and could be more aggressive. I think it's pointless to worry about any one play in particular in such a close game and never mention the rest of the plays in regulation.

I digress.

I previously said what Joerger said about it (based on my interpretation, of course). You kind of dismissed it. But here it goes one more time:
Joerger said that on that last play in regulation, he put the ball in his best playmaker's hands and... it didn't work out. And Bledsoe was terrific on that play. Or possibly someone else said Bledsoe was great on that play and Joerger affirmed. This is not a quote, obviously, but I'm fairly sure I caught the gist of it. And I'm 99.9% sure he used the phrase "best playmaker" when referring to Fox on that play because I immediately thought "Wait, Fox is not our BEST playmaker, coach!" But I digress.
Yeah that’s what I thought you said. Doesn’t that reinforce he called 1-4 flat. Joeger said I put the ball in Fox’s hands means to me, I called the play which was 1-4 flat with Fox having the ball.

It was not a good call. Even when Lebron has the ball, Lue would run a play to generate a switch and a better match up. Bogdan saw it and knew it wouldn’t work which is why he flared out.

The Kings have lost some close games to really good teams, because they made more mistakes than their opponents.
Good teams make you pay. Increased confidence will help reduce the amount of mistakes, like throwing the ball into the stands.

I always advocate to have Fox be the go 2 guy, the guy who have the ball to take the last shot. His speed and quickness is the reason. He can pretty much pull up a shot any time he want because defender respect his speed and give him room. I seen games where the Kings lose because they couldn't execute down the stretch for the last winning shots. It was like...did they even run a play? Bogi would not be able to create his own shot unless it's a pick n roll. And then you ask yourself...why don't the damm coach give the ball to De'Aaron Fox and let him just attack the basket with his speed like they did with Westbrook. So that's what I saw against the Bucks. But unfortunately, the Bucks have a foul to give and can take their chances to play aggressive defense and I guess it work out for them. But again, I don't mind seeing Fox playing ISO on the last play. I would also first want to run some type of play to get Buddy Hield open first because Hield is too good a shooter not to take the last shot. But time is running out against the Bucks and that's why Fox's only choice is be himself. I do not mind Fox ISO, i wish there is more of that actually. Also, they need to teach him to do pick n roll to get a weaker defender on him before attacking...that's one of the best way to exploit another's team's weakness. Sometimes, talents don't mean as much as basketball IQ And higher basketball IQ will get you a win if you play smart. John Stockton was never a freak athlete, but his basketball IQ is so high that even the very best will have to respect his game. So to my point, playing smart basketball is what the Kings need down the stretch if they want to come away with a victory. And i am sure there is a correlation between higher basketball IQ and experiences. Golden Warriors is an example of that. They came back and use their experience to beat a young Kings team that lack experience. Lack proper executions down the stretch.

Here is the final play of regulation. Irregardless of whether a foul occurs before the strip, it seems pretty clear to me that Bledsoe gets a clean strip of the ball. He was playing good defense and as Grant, @KingsFanSince85 , and others have pointed out they had a foul to give and could be more aggressive. I think it's pointless to worry about any one play in particular in such a close game and never mention the rest of the plays in regulation.

I digress.

Thank you.

I didn't dismiss it nor necessarily disagree with it. I had no problem with Swipa getting the ball. My issue was that it was a 1-4 ISO play with no other clear options. With a foul to give, it should be expected that the opposition would gamble and play aggressive defense. So I would have liked to have seen some kind of play run with multiple options so that the team's best play maker had a better chance to make something happen. I would have been more ok with 1-4 flat if the Bucks were in the penalty.

Circling back, the discussion morphed into whether it was an ISO play or not and whether it was called or not. Nothing you paraphrased from Coach Joerger suggested it wasn't supposed to be the play we saw -- which is why you might think I dismissed it.

I agree that he put the ball in the hands of his best play maker -- but it was an ISO play with no obvious options off of it. I think the odds of it working were less because of the foul situation, which is why I don't feel it was one of Coach's better choices out of a time out. But I'm no NBA coach, just a critical fan. I get that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.