[Game] Kings v. Suns - 4/11/17 - 7:30PT/10:30ET

That's just beautiful to watch. :)

That's also the one thing I never understood in all my time of watching NBA basketball. There seems to be no coordinated fan choreography or chants and everything always looks a bit too laid back and sometimes artificial. So different to european football or basketball. But still the quality of the players makes up for this.
Yep similar thoughts here. NBA knows how to make a great show. Great players, stadiums. So many attractions.
But the reactions of the fans are usually "meh" . In europe's top games the atmosphere is amazing (when it doesn't become violent, which unfortunately does).

What I fail to understand though, is how is it possible for your team to be losign f.ex by -30 and then at a break "emoji/kiss/whatever" cam starts or a guy throws t-shirts
and everybody is cheering like hell. In similar situation in Europe I can guarantee you a "dark place" where these t-shirts will end in the person throwing them, and the
variety of gestures you would see in the cam :D.

Nightfall, that video is a thing of beauty!

The passion of sports fans here and over seas cannot be compared. There IS no comparison.
What would a kings game be like with no choreography but loud chanting and rhythmic jumping? Why are the typical sacramento republic games louder than most kings? I think it's sad. Our fans could legitimately be the toast of the league if we could bring some of that Greek basketball passion, European soccer passion, or Japanese basketball passion to a kings game.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Nightfall, that video is a thing of beauty!

The passion of sports fans here and over seas cannot be compared. There was is no comparison.
What would a kings game be like with no choreography but loud chanting and rhythmic jumping? Why are the typical sacramento republic games louder than most kings? I think it's sad. Our fans could legitimately be the toast of the league if we could bring some of that Greek basketball passion, European soccer passion, or Japanese basketball passion to a kings game.
Japanese basketball passion is relatively nonexistent. Their baseball passion on the other hand is something to be experienced.

SIGN ME UP!!
I WANT THAT HERE.
I don't think it's possible because of the cost of tickets and the type of fans who sit in the lower bowl but man, just imagine.......

One more. One of the most famous videos (hence the 6M views) ,you should watch with sound (and as loud as you can) :

That was away game in another country, for the Euroleague Final Four (2005 if i remember correctly)

What are they chanting?
It is one fan made song called "Magic Weed" (so you can probably guess the context). The translation is in the info I think.
It basically compares the "addiction" to Panathinaikos with the addiction to a variety of drugs.
Many Fan Clubs all over the world have adapted it in their language.

PS: Admins sorry for the OT :D

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I wonder what new pieces New Orleans will get to compliment Anthony Davis and The All-Star Break
I can't work out whether they should place more of an emphasis on perimeter shooting or perimeter defense. I lean towards perimeter defense, since we know that The All-Star Break is a liability on the pick and roll.

SIGN ME UP!!
I WANT THAT HERE.
I don't think it's possible because of the cost of tickets and the type of fans who sit in the lower bowl but man, just imagine.......
I agree, and no offense to anyone when I say this, but there's also many older fans who wouldn't like this. Each time someone tries to start a chant, they get the dirtiest stare from that one lady who thinks you're drunk. Other times, you'll get bad looks from parents see you as being extremely obnoxious in front of their kids.
That type of atmosphere would never work in the NBA. I think target audience would decrease. Some people see basketball games as a leisure. Others see it as a nice sporting event to bring their kids to. Can't make everyone happy

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Still the teams are not to blame for exploiting the rules of the league. Tanking is a viable strategy in the NBA. And all the talk how disgusting or dishonorable it is to try to lose as many games as possible, it still won't change the fact, that losing games benefits teams not in the Playoff hunt and gives them the best chance for a franchise altering talent. Under the current lottery system it's the smart thing to do.
It makes a part of the basketball season unbearable to watch, but it's still a smart thing to do as long as the fans keep coming back next year.
I wouldn't be quite so certain in that regard. Almost every sports outlet is talking about how much tanking hurts the game. I fully expect to see the league address it during the off-season. Tickets cost too much for fans who actually attend the game to continue to pay premium prices for a crap product. The owners need those ticket sales and all the other money fans spend at the games. That money dries up pretty quickly if fans just quit coming.

The Kings were lucky this year. Fans kept coming because of hope for the future but it won't last forever.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That's just beautiful to watch. :)

That's also the one thing I never understood in all my time of watching NBA basketball. There seems to be no coordinated fan choreography or chants and everything always looks a bit too laid back and sometimes artificial. So different to european football or basketball. But still the quality of the players makes up for this.
I don 't know about anyone else, but I go to games to WATCH the game, not to participate in coordinated fan choreography or something similar. :) If you ever get the chance to attend a Kings game in G1C, I suspect you'll change your mind.

I agree, and no offense to anyone when I say this, but there's also many older fans who wouldn't like this. Each time someone tries to start a chant, they get the dirtiest stare from that one lady who thinks you're drunk. Other times, you'll get bad looks from parents see you as being extremely obnoxious in front of their kids.
That type of atmosphere would never work in the NBA. I think target audience would decrease. Some people see basketball games as a leisure. Others see it as a nice sporting event to bring their kids to. Can't make everyone happy
Yes, from the closer shots it did look like it was mostly men from their teens to their 40s (maybe this isn't the case). For those in the know, do families, young children, non-fanatics attend these events? Maybe they sit in different sections?

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I don 't know about anyone else, but I go to games to WATCH the game, not to participate in coordinated fan choreography or something similar. :) If you ever get the chance to attend a Kings game in G1C, I suspect you'll change your mind.
It's kind of like an ongoing trend in 'rasslin these days, which annoys me: it seems as though, lately, people go to 'rasslin events to mark for themselves, and put themselves over, rather than to actually mark out for the 'rasslin.

Yes, from the closer shots it did look like it was mostly men from their teens to their 40s (maybe this isn't the case). For those in the know, do families, young children, non-fanatics attend these events? Maybe they sit in different sections?
Can't speak for Nightfall, but when it comes to european football or in my case german football there are sections in the arena, that pretty much belong to the "hardcore" fans or like we call them here "Ultras". The Ultra culture is indeed a culture dominated by young males and plays a strong role in Germany as a self-proclaimed opposition to investors and companies, who have begun to play a bigger role over the last decades, because many clubs changed their legal form from what we call a "Verein", which is basically a fan owned legal form, to joint-stock companies.
So when attending a game a fan or customer pretty much has the opportunity to buy seats close to the Ultra sections in the arena, where tickets are relatively cheap and people are chanting and jumping (the actual Ultra area is often inaccessible for "normal" customers, because the seats are tied to season tickets and are all purchased by the members of one of the Ultra organisations). If the customer doesn't want to take part in activities of the Ultras, he can buy seats further away from the main Ultra section. Often those seats are a bit more pricely, but often they offer a much better view. That's where you will find most of the customers, who don't want their Kids to take part in the fan activities or worry about their safety or simply want to watch the game without getting distracted.
So basically it's entirely possible to just watch the game, while at the same time having a great atmosphere created by the "hardcore" fans of both clubs in their dedicated areas (there are guest fan areas in most arenas, often located at the opposite side of the arena, making a strict separation of the hardcore fans of both clubs possible). If the game is going great the atmosphere often will be contagious and the whole stadium will take part in the chants, but this isn't the norm.
But witnessing this fan culture is still truly remarkable, no matter if you take part or not. Watching the whole 10.000 fans of the Hamburger Nordkurve singing "Hamburg meine Perle", which is a song praising our city and home, will give me goosebumps and a feeling of homecoming every time. And while Hamburg is a great arena to be in, being in the arena in Dortmund and witnessing 25.000 fans (it's actually Europes largest standing stand) singing and jumping is an eye-catcher few will ever forget.
Like Nightfall already said - there are negatives, because like with every culture dominated by young males there is always the risk of violence, especially when drugs are involved. But usually things stay relatively civil.
And I personally can't think of a football game, without this kind of fan activities, even though as I got older, I usually buy seats in sections with a better view and focus more on the game than on chants.

I wouldn't be quite so certain in that regard. Almost every sports outlet is talking about how much tanking hurts the game. I fully expect to see the league address it during the off-season. Tickets cost too much for fans who actually attend the game to continue to pay premium prices for a crap product. The owners need those ticket sales and all the other money fans spend at the games. That money dries up pretty quickly if fans just quit coming.

The Kings were lucky this year. Fans kept coming because of hope for the future but it won't last forever.
But the league hasn't changed anything yet. So up until a possible rulechange, tanking for a better pick makes sense in all areas, but short-term revenue.
And what's actually remarkable is, that the 76ers example seems to indicate, that the fans come back as soon as there seems to be a glimmer of hope for a competitive product on the floor. (http://www.phillyvoice.com/sixers-a...ly-good-they-were-during-last-playoff-season/). Assuming fans won't turn their back completely on the team a short period of bottoming out, may be a better decision from a revenue standpoint, than an extended period of mediocrity, where the team isn't performing well enough to reach the Playoffs (which means a lot of extra revenue) but isn't bad enough to get a great pick and therefore the best chance for a franchise altering player.

Like Nightfall already said - there are negatives, because like with every culture dominated by young males there is always the risk of violence, especially when drugs are involved. But usually things stay relatively civil.
And I personally can't think of a football game, without this kind of fan activities, even though as I got older, I usually buy seats in sections with a better view and focus more on the game than on chants.
Pretty much the same here. I enjoy watching the atmosphere and used to be in the middle of it during my youth. Now at 39 with 2 kids, when I go to watch a game I will go for the "fancy" seats in the middle of the court :D

In Germany even teams with the hardest ultras, things remain civil.
In Greece however it is not the case. European games no problem, but I would never go with my family to watch a Panathinaikos - Olympiakos game in either Soccer or Bball, if fans of both teams are present (often there is a visiting fans are banned to avoid the violence, however they are so stupid that they will even meet in parts of the city just for the fights, were they have been even deaths, similar to UK hooligan culture in the 80s-90s which Thatcher abolished from the stadion)