[Game] Kings v. Pelicans - Saturday, Jan. 4 - 7PT/10ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Branding a growing cacophony of concerned voices as “lazy” and “tribalistic” is very dismissive and condescending. How about when the team is winning and the fan-base is expressing excitement about the team? Is that just mindless “group think” as well? Get real, my friend. Here’s what it comes down to: If these so-called “scapegoats” played to the level expected and deserved by the fans then you wouldn’t need to make it your personal crusade to defend them. You are not any more enlightened than anyone else who has an opinion.
I may not agree with what Capt says, but he has every right to say it. He's not being "dismissive and condescending." He hasn't claimed to be "more enlightened"... he has expressed his opinion in an articulate manner. And, even though in this instance I am actually part of the mob mentality he's speaking about, I know he's right in that it exists. Having been a moderator on this forum since 2001, I can confirm that it's fact.

He's about real as it gets.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Good lord... I’m not the biggest Buddy fan but how many times have we heard Buddy say “it was my fault”.
He says it but does he really understand what he is or isn't doing that contributes to the problem? I honestly don't think he gets it, especially at the particular moment in time. If he cannot recognize what he's doing wrong WHEN it happens, we can't really expect him to correct it - and that's what frustrates the crap out of me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The blame belongs on the coach and front office. There is no reason this team should be moving backwards.
When your team is losing, there's enough blame to go around for EVERYONE. Don't act as though it's all on the off-court personnel. The players bear some responsibility, too. Amazingly, though, winning cures a whole lot of things...

He says it but does he really understand what he is or isn't doing that contributes to the problem? I honestly don't think he gets it, especially at the particular moment in time. If he cannot recognize what he's doing wrong WHEN it happens, we can't really expect him to correct it - and that's what frustrates the crap out of me.
he is who he is. Sports IQ is something you have or don’t. It takes a special type of intelligence to see something in the moment and be able to understand what is the next correct move. Yes you can work on it but you can’t fix what God didn’t put in. Again read the book “The Sports Gene”.

At some point you have to blame the coach putting him in those situations.

he is who he is. Sports IQ is something you have or don’t. It takes a special type of intelligence to see something in the moment and be able to understand what is the next correct move. Yes you can work on it but you can’t fix what God didn’t put in. Again read the book “The Sports Gene”.

Buddy is a bit like Josh Smith where you have to protect them from themselves, Josh Smith have a couple amazing seasons mid career where he was not allowed/didn't shoot 3's the moment he was given freedom his career tanked. Buddy has to be saved from himself (should shoot 3's/but no dribbling) by coaches/teammates otherwise it will be a long season for all.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

But you also have to give the player every opportunity to show he can correct something before you assume forever that they cannot. I see Walton putting Buddy into different situations as a barometer...I believe Luke will make the right decision and I think Buddy will end up being first off the bench. If he cannot handle that, then maybe he needs to be moved to where that won't be a problem. (Much like trading IT).

But you also have to give the player every opportunity to show he can correct something before you assume forever that they cannot. I see Walton putting Buddy into different situations as a barometer...I believe Luke will make the right decision and I think Buddy will end up being first off the bench. If he cannot handle that, then maybe he needs to be moved to where that won't be a problem. (Much like trading IT).
Nothing in his history suggests he can't handle it if it happens. If memory serves me right Buddy came off the bench last season a fair bit or the year before and I don't recall him complaining. As long as he's getting minutes and finishing games (which he should be regardless if he starts or not)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nothing in his history suggests he can't handle it if it happens. If memory serves me right Buddy came off the bench last season a fair bit or the year before and I don't recall him complaining. As long as he's getting minutes and finishing games (which he should be regardless if he starts or not)
Me neither but last year's Buddy doesn't exist any more. That Buddy would never IMHO have taken his extension public. Something changed...and not necessarily for the better.

When your team is losing, there's enough blame to go around for EVERYONE. Don't act as though it's all on the off-court personnel. The players bear some responsibility, too. Amazingly, though, winning cures a whole lot of things...
It’s up to the front office to create the right environment and put the right mix of people together. And after 13 years of putting it on the players enough is enough.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It’s up to the front office to create the right environment and put the right mix of people together. And after 13 years of putting it on the players enough is enough.
Sorry but I'm not buying that. You're acting as though the same people are in charge as have been all along and that's not true. Our problems may be frustratingly similar but it's the same mistakes being made by entirely different people.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: We generally close game threads after the game. Since the game-related discussion has now dissolved into discussions that duplicate those in other threads (such as the Vlade thread and the Kings identity thread) I'm closing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.