[Game] Kings v. Nuggets - Saturday, Nov. 30 - 2 PT, 5 ET

The Nuggets really thought they could fool JJ. Did you see Holmes rush out and congratulate him at the buzzer? Not a rookie move by any means. JJ stuck with his man and ruined the Nuggets day.
JJ has elite lateral mobility to go along with elite an vertical and a willingness to clamp down. That there is the makings of a player who can stick in the league as a specialty defender if nothing else. Are the Kings getting even deeper? Wow.

That's a dodge. Barnes is NOT overpaid. He's earning every penny out there.
Believe me, I know that, but the knock on him is when people look at the stat sheet. They aren't seeing the possbilities with him. That's largely what you're paying for. That added bit of ability in your tool chest that you can go to literally at almost any time.

relative to his likely role in 2010 dollars. as the price for talent continues to rise, I don't believe it will look like we are overpaying Barnes in a year or two (maybe China impact on the cap changes things). But a solid big league every day starting 3 just costs this much imo.
I brought the same thing up after he re-signed. Looking at players in his neighborhood it just is what it is. I still think it comes down to the Kings success as to whether people judge him based on his pay. I mean, they will anyway because lot of people don't realize how his versatility on defense is such a difference maker. They haven't been Kings fans since Ron Artest left most likely. We know what it's like to have a decade long gaping hole at the combo F in a world where you just can't afford it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
JJ has elite lateral mobility to go along with elite an vertical and a willingness to clamp down. That there is the makings of a player who can stick in the league as a specialty defender if nothing else. Are the Kings getting even deeper? Wow.
Yep. He's definitely looking like a Doug Christie kinda guy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
A little maybe. He kind of reminds me of former King Mo Evans if anyone remembers him. He caught on and stayed on for a number of years.
Mo Evans was a member of the Kings in 2004-2005. IIRC he got hit midair going for a board and landed on his cheekbone. Right? He played for a lot of teams but I honestly don't remember him being the same kind of defender it looks like JJ is going to be.

Mo Evans was a member of the Kings in 2004-2005. IIRC he got hit midair going for a board and landed on his cheekbone. Right? He played for a lot of teams but I honestly don't remember him being the same kind of defender it looks like JJ is going to be.
I think he sliced his head or something. Yeah, I remember it was scary.

Happy as can be about Barnes and Holmes, but very much enjoying the good JJ story. I kept cool when he was picked and its paying dividends.

As I have only seen clips and highlights on him is he best suited for a particular position or does he have the skill and length to consistently play 2 or 3.

dude12

Hall of Famer
The thing on JJ besides that nice defense is he shows a flash here and there on offense. I mean he doesn’t touch the ball much but they posted him up on Morris once with success, had that nice pocket pass on a pick and roll with Holmes I think, had the nice up fake and drive where he was going to throw down on Jokic. If he can make shots from 3, then it’s going to be icing on the cake

Kingster

Hall of Famer
To give you an idea of Harrison's productivity, over the last 10 games he's taken 110 field goal attempts (for Lakers fans that's 11 shots per game) and scored a total of 177 points over the 10 games (for Warriors fans that's 17.7 points per game). So he is scoring 1.6 points for every shot attempt. That's elite, folks. Such a stat does not reflect his full contribution to the team because he also has been very good defensively and he consistently demonstrates a high basketball IQ. It would be shocking if he lost a game for you; it wouldn't be surprising if he wins one for you. He has been the most consistent player on this team, by far.

Harrison is only 27 years of age, just entering his prime. He's a pro's pro as they say, a student of the game, and a class act. He's the perfect vet for the younger players on this team to model themselves. The guy works at his craft. He's been under-appreciated and under-utilized over the years, but he just continued to toil, getting better and better. People were talking about how Divac overpayed to get him. Hardly. He's a screaming deal.

The defense at the end of the game of Holmes/Cojo on the Jokic/Murray pick n roll was god mode that game was all Barnes/Holmes carrying the Kings. JJ keeps showing nice spurts he gives us that explosive fast twitch athlete who can actually play I can't remember who was the last ultra athletic King who could play D and showed solid IQ (Mclemore/Derrick Williams/Outlaw/Troy Williams don't fit the criteria).

Holmes/Bagley are going to have to make it work somehow the Kings want to develop Bagley but we are not winning without Holmes playing a lot.

Last edited:
Of note in this game was how Walton used Barnes in the post to score. In the post game press conference, Walton said Fox and Bagley were his guys that can score in the paint and draw fouls, followed by Barnes. In the absence of the injured players, Barnes was playing in the post for much of the second half, even with Holmes in the game. They just pulled Holmes out of the paint and gave it to Barnes down low. That should quiet the concerns about whether Bagley and Holmes can exist on the same court.

In many ways, Barnes reminds a lot of Rodney McCray. He was never a star, but always a very valuable player for his team. He played the swiss army knife role always doing whatever his team needed from him in each game.
I love Kings history. Rodney McCray and Jim Peterson from Houston for Otis Thorpe. Perhaps McCray and Barnes are a good comparison, I don't know, I just know that was another King move that scarred me for life. Glad you see McCray in a positive light, I never got beyond the trade.

Last edited:
The defense at the end of the game of Holmes/Cojo on the Jokic/Murray pick n roll was god mode that game was all Barnes/Holmes carrying the Kings. JJ keeps showing nice spurts he gives us that explosive fast twitch athlete who can actually play I can't remember who was the last ultra athletic King who could play D and showed solid IQ (Mclemore/Derrick Williams/Outlaw/Troy Williams don't fit the criteria).

Holmes/Bagley are going to have to make it work somehow the Kings want to develop Bagley but we are not winning without Holmes playing a lot.
John Salmons the first time we signed him comes to mind.