[Game] Kings v. Magic - Friday, March 9 - 7 PT

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I look forward to playing the Magic’s next generational big man in the WCF in about 6 years. I’m sure the Lakers will be thrilled for the Magic to draft Ayton. And we’re the “dysfunctional” franchise according to the national guys. What a joke.
the Magic have been trying to get out of the gutter since trading their franchise big, one of these years they are bound to get rewarded, no?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
im Kinda forced to watch the lakers because of certain family members and it pains me greatly to say the lakers are damn exciting, win or lose. The young guys are progressing and the future is extremely bright for them. I absolutely don’t see any of that from the Kings. It’s just downright depressing.
Is it bad that the player I look forward to watching the most is Giles?

the Magic have been trying to get out of the gutter since trading their franchise big, one of these years they are bound to get rewarded, no?
They bleed what talent they've had in their rebuild through idiotic trades. Glass houses and all but this is their sixth straight year on the same path and they're worse than ever. I don't feel they should be rewarded.

Let's be honest here, how would it even be possible to out-tank that Magic LU tonight? We're actually a better team when Jakkar plays, Cooley randomly awesome and likely would have beasted on them all game because #KANGZ. Play Bruno 30 minutes I guess? Fox and WCS were already out. I guess run ZBO out for 40 minutes and his no defense over Koufos?

Tankathon games like this, you just have to hope the basketball gods reward you for not being an utter disgrace to basketball. That's pretty much what the Magic threw out there and have continuously been throwing out there all year.

Also, no I don't really care that Hezonja was bad in this one. Dude has to be flat out sick of that franchise at this point and the whole team looks like it wants to be traded and could not care less about playing with each other. We may suck, but I do think we've developed a solid locker-room culture here in the Joerger era.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I watched about 5 minutes of this garbage and then gave up. How much season is left? Ugh. I feel like both teams should be kicked out of the league for lack of respect. The flip side of the tanking argument is that there's no joy in winning a game like this where neither team competes at even 50% of their ability. I've never used the word "Lin" before because I think it's a dumb term and giving even a tiny bit of legitimacy to a shameful enterprise is more than it deserves but I also don't understand why some fans poo poo the use of that term and then act like this win counts for something. Trying to lose and falling even to accomplish that is not worth celebrating to me.

Yes.

He's an unknown with major injury concerns. It's pretty bleak that the FO is trying to hype him as the savior.
I’m just so F’ing tired of this feeling. The mediocrity has just killed my sporting will. Right or wrong, this team is playing themselves right out of the lottery and it is absolutely gonna kill them. Playing themselves out of the lottery and then not having a pick next year is going to assure this team of more of the same for the foreseeable future. I can’t do it. It’s not enjoyable anymore so what’s the point? I’ve turned down free tickets 5 times now. I think that’s a sign that it’s time to take a step back. I might lurk a little but I’m taking a hiatus from this team. Good luck out there my friends.

I never been at the point where I have completely given up hope. I think I’m there now.

Temple 23, Koufos 18 and Carter 15. Everyone else looks like trash. Hezonja looks aweful and of course the Kings ( the worst franchise in professional sports) only wins when it’s not in their interest to do so.

The only bright spot is my future son in law is in the Celtics org and they have our pick. I’m beginning to agree it will be top 5.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
I’m just so F’ing tired of this feeling. The mediocrity has just killed my sporting will. Right or wrong, this team is playing themselves right out of the lottery and it is absolutely gonna kill them. Playing themselves out of the lottery and then not having a pick next year is going to assure this team of more of the same for the foreseeable future. I can’t do it. It’s not enjoyable anymore so what’s the point? I’ve turned down free tickets 5 times now. I think that’s a sign that it’s time to take a step back. I might lurk a little but I’m taking a hiatus from this team. Good luck out there my friends.
I don't blame you! And I hope for all of our sake that this team gives you (and everyone else who's taken a break) a reason to come back sooner than later!

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Somebody needs to point out that all this had wringing and gnashing of teeth is over a game the Kings won. I know... Lotto.... Lin... Picks.... Future... Play kids...let vets rot. I know because I have read everyone of these arguments every season for over a decade. Heck I don't even disagree with all of them. Strip away all that rhetoric and at the end of the day you got an ugly game the Kings managed to win without two starters. Losing Skal in the first half and not playing Zack hurt but we got to see a working-class guy who has hung around and worked hard got out on the court play the ugliest scrappiest ball I've seen since summer league and put up a good showing for himself. Most importantly he had fun! Remember fun that's part of the deal, having fun.

If folks want to parse out min played by vets vs kids or scoring then sure we can get bogged down in the minutiae and have a tedious boring discussion like literally hundreds that have gone on in the past. But at the end of the day if you think you're a fan of a team and you're upset about a win and unable to enjoy it, you might want to wonder why your watch games in the first place. Life is very, very short we all ought to look for joy and let sorrow hunt us.

I for one got a big smile watching Cooley having fun, giving fans something to cheer for and making his teammates proud. I also enjoyed watching Bogie figure out how to impact the game when his shot wasn't falling.

Last edited:
That had to be one of the ugliest wins, if not THE ugliest win, I have ever witnessed in all of my years of being a Sacramento Kings fan. I, for one, was hoping to see one of the teams (us) blow the other (them) out of the building. Honestly, the only bright spot for me was Jack...Dude was fun to watch out there! And he didn't look terrible while being fun to watch, either :) ...

I really do hope he can become an option off of the bench. He kinda showed me, tonight, glimpses of a Scot Pollard type of a player. Not much of an offensive game, but provides instant energy coming off of the bench.

This team is young. They're gonna put up numbers in the column on the right way more than they are in the one on the left. That's not breaking news by any stretch of the imagination. But seeing the team come together and win a game, any game, whether it be on the shoulders of the youngsters, the shoulders of the vets, or a combination of both, is music to my ears. I don't care how it's done; I just want to see this team win. Period.

Gosh Dangit!!!! It's a DARN GOOD TIME to be a KINGS fan!!!

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I’m ok with winning when it’s our youngsters who are making it happen. But this win is on Joerger and his vets. Not ok. Play the youngsters, win or lose. Period.
I'll bite at the red herring, other than Bruno who hals no future with this team what kid was sitting? Once you started the game with both Willie and Fox out that was a problem. Maybe starting Mason over Temple gives him a few extra minutes but I'm sorry with Zack sitting and three kids down there's just not a lot of other options. In case you didn't notice buddy did not exactly shoot lights out tonight, and I honestly don't even remember JJ being on court but the stat sheet says he was. So I guess we could play JJ at Center let Vincent & Temple sit the whole game but I'm not sure what the kids would have learned except how to lose...

I'll bite at the red herring, other than Bruno who hals no future with this team what kid was sitting? Once you started the game with both Willie and Fox out that was a problem. Maybe starting Mason over Temple gives him a few extra minutes but I'm sorry with Zack sitting and three kids down there's just not a lot of other options. In case you didn't notice buddy did not exactly shoot lights out tonight, and I honestly don't even remember JJ being on court but the stat sheet says he was. So I guess we could play JJ at Center let Vincent & Temple sit the whole game but I'm not sure what the kids would have learned except how to lose...
at least the NBA can't say that the Kings are tanking...

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I’m ok with winning when it’s our youngsters who are making it happen. But this win is on Joerger and his vets. Not ok. Play the youngsters, win or lose. Period.
Aside from Skal (whose minutes probably went to the Jack Cooley Experience), all of our young kids played over half of the game. Kosta played 38 minutes but with Willie out and Z-Bo resting, he's literally the only guy on the active roster capable of playing center without running the risk of turning into a huge smouldering crater of suck (which judging from a lot of the posts here is apparently what y'all want). GT played thirty minutes while Frank and Bogie both played 27 (Buddy played 29 despite being an abysmal suckhole all game) but remember that (a) Frank Mason seemingly there the ball away every other possession and (b) Bogie hasn't really had a day off from basketball in over a year.

The young guys got their minutes but didn't really do much with them so are we really supposed to get angry when our vets all magically have a good game on the same night and beat possibly the worst basketball franchise of the last decade?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Go with a Skal/JJ/Buddy/Bogie/Mason starting lineup and have them literally play the entire game. That's apparently the only acceptable option at this point.

Yes.

He's an unknown with major injury concerns. It's pretty bleak that the FO is trying to hype him as the savior.
This, the Giles conversation makes no sense.

Folks are hyping him in a way that doesn’t make any sense much like Skal last spring. At least with Skal, there were 20 good games to misinterpret on top of red flags and on court issues to ignore.

For Giles it’s just the word of mouth of media members that often sell hope that is objectively unreasonable and/or have a track record of being really bad at overestimating how Kings plays will progress.

The whole league had Giles’ medical records. Yet, nobody else had or could trade into a draft spot because “hey, the medicals are pretty good here and after one year of rehab he can be a top prospect again”. The Kings were one of the few teams that weren’t wrong on the medicine?

Or the medicals were bad and he had an outlier amout of recovery this year?

Like with Skal last year, there is a reason dude fell into the 20s and I think your kidding yourselves

Remember when: (1) it was unreasonable to talk about the Kings tanking trajectory in December; (2) that it was way too early to talk about this; because (3) the Kings still had lots of time and would end up in the bottom 3 anyhow?

How's that looking right about now?

Aside from Skal (whose minutes probably went to the Jack Cooley Experience), all of our young kids played over half of the game. Kosta played 38 minutes but with Willie out and Z-Bo resting, he's literally the only guy on the active roster capable of playing center without running the risk of turning into a huge smouldering crater of suck (which judging from a lot of the posts here is apparently what y'all want). GT played thirty minutes while Frank and Bogie both played 27 (Buddy played 29 despite being an abysmal suckhole all game) but remember that (a) Frank Mason seemingly there the ball away every other possession and (b) Bogie hasn't really had a day off from basketball in over a year.

The young guys got their minutes but didn't really do much with them so are we really supposed to get angry when our vets all magically have a good game on the same night and beat possibly the worst basketball franchise of the last decade?
For the record, I'm not angry about this win. Just disapppointed. Earlier in the season I would have been happy for the team, especially the vets. But at this point, I'd like to see every youngster on the roster getting meaningful minutes and let the chips (wins and losses) fall where they may. Last night Cooley only got about 7-8 minutes and Bruno got zilch. I have no illusions about either of them, but if you'd given Cooley 30 minutes last night, he might have gotten 20 points & 20 boards. And Bruno needs NBA minutes, not more G-league time.

Hard to watch is right. Where did all of that dribblitis come from? The Kings' guards and sometimes the Magic guards reverted back to sandlot basketball using up half the 24 second clock dribbling around and coughing up the ball. Then some of the passing looked like a high school game.

Good to get Cooley in the game. I like the guy, but he looks remarkably unathletic compared to the best in the world. Not his fault.

KK, Carter and Temple. Does not really bode well for the future. This team has a lot of work to do.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
They bleed what talent they've had in their rebuild through idiotic trades. Glass houses and all but this is their sixth straight year on the same path and they're worse than ever. I don't feel they should be rewarded.
Don't forget who is running the show for them now. Hezonja may get a max from them 0__0

Let's be honest here, how would it even be possible to out-tank that Magic LU tonight? We're actually a better team when Jakkar plays, Cooley randomly awesome and likely would have beasted on them all game because #KANGZ. Play Bruno 30 minutes I guess? Fox and WCS were already out. I guess run ZBO out for 40 minutes and his no defense over Koufos?

Tankathon games like this, you just have to hope the basketball gods reward you for not being an utter disgrace to basketball. That's pretty much what the Magic threw out there and have continuously been throwing out there all year.
This. I was fortunate enough to sit relatively close on the Magic side last night, and could just tell- there was no losing to them. They are terrible.

Skal was getting plenty of run until he got hurt.

Really, the only gripe might be that Cabolco didn’t play and Carter and Temple saw major minutes. I’m sorry, but I just can’t bring myself to get upset about Bruno Cabolco’s minutes.

Where is Adam Silver after this game dishing out the warnings and fines? The Magic intentionally sat Aaron Gordon and Evan Fournier.

Intentionally resting healthy players! No ifs ands or buts about it !

I saw those guys against the Lakers. They were perfectly healthy. If they play they beat us by 10-15 points.

As far as I am concerned last night was the worst game of the season.

You have the Kings fans lapping it up like trained seals with Temple going for 20, Koufos going for 16 and Vince Carter going for 15.

What is the point?!?! Veterans leading the charge to nowhere and hurting our chances at Bagley, Ayton and Bamba.

Mason has been slightly discouraging lately with empty forays to the hoop.

Buddy is throwing the ball all over and his juke moves are not creating separation.

So two of our "core players" are limping to the finish line.

Mason is a player with a fearless warrior mentality. I like him and still have faith in him. But you need to have the speed and savvy to get those interior shots off. I don't know if he has it. He's going to the rim and getting smothered and throwing up trash. Not good.

It is time to shift the tank into high gear and last night it went in reverse.

Unless Adam Silver is all bark and no bite, I expect repercussions against the Magic for their shameless disregard to compete with integrity.

They tossed in the towel before the tipoff and it is patently obvious to anyone paying attention.

This, the Giles conversation makes no sense.

Folks are hyping him in a way that doesn’t make any sense much like Skal last spring. At least with Skal, there were 20 good games to misinterpret on top of red flags and on court issues to ignore.

For Giles it’s just the word of mouth of media members that often sell hope that is objectively unreasonable and/or have a track record of being really bad at overestimating how Kings plays will progress.

The whole league had Giles’ medical records. Yet, nobody else had or could trade into a draft spot because “hey, the medicals are pretty good here and after one year of rehab he can be a top prospect again”. The Kings were one of the few teams that weren’t wrong on the medicine?

Or the medicals were bad and he had an outlier amout of recovery this year?

Like with Skal last year, there is a reason dude fell into the 20s and I think your kidding yourselves
The first batch of club contracts will be up for renewal/re-pricing in Nov/Dec next year. Kings will pull all the stops to justify the prices by then - I know they are getting a lot of crud from victims who are stuck in contracts paying around $300/ticket. The Giles thing is part of that... how are they going to get renewals after 2.25 years of horror show?? With hype!