[Game] Kings v. Magic - Friday, March 9 - 7 PT

I didn’t say didn’t clear him to be drafted. I’m talking about the assessments each team made regarding Giles probabilities of different recovery outcomes.

The basis of my knowledge is the standard way a situation of this nature is handled over 30 years if the agent makes the medicals available. There have been instances where a team or two doesn’t get medicals trying to scare them away, like the Kings a lot and Portzings and the 76ers. By all accounts Giles agent wasn’t holding them back. Since they wanted him to go in the 1st round and as high as possible, the records were reportedly around and logically so.
The problem with Giles is that the decision wasn't just based on the medicals. This is a guy who was ranked at the top of his class, but hadn't really played since his Junior year of HS. This is different than a scenario of someone like Embiid who dominated college only to get injured late. He was the clear #1 pick, but dropped due to injury. If he hadn't played in college he wouldn't have been a lottery IMO, and may have even returned to school.

My point with Giles is that you had the injuries and the lack of playing as part of the factor. He was a risky pick that could turn into a star if things went well. Obviously that is our hope.

Both are possible, I'm saying top doctors tend to be more accurate predicting medical outcomes for players than scouts evaluating how a college basket player's game will translate to the NBA. And I think the last 20 years of drafts among players with medical issues vs production variance questions bears that out.

But, hey. Maybe the Kings lucked out on this one.
But you are assuming doctors said don’t do it! What if the doctors said do it under proviso that you have to sit him out for a season and work on strengthening his knees? Then its up to the Basketball operations to decide whether they are willing to take the risk with the pick they had? Not many team were in position where 1. They had multiple 1st round picks and 2. Could afford to have their only pick sit out the whole year in hope of being good next year.

I personally don’t hold much hope that Giles will be what he is getting hyped up to be but I am not taking a narrow black and white view that you seems to be. Most doctors said no but Kings went there anyway. Maybe that might have been the case, we don’t know but we cannot claim with certainty that it was the case.

This time next year we will have a much clearer picture of what type of player Giles really is and whether the risk was worth it. At this point everyone is guessing without and substantiated evidence one way or the other. All that we have is here say and assumptions.

But you are assuming doctors said don’t do it! What if the doctors said do it under proviso that you have to sit him out for a season and work on strengthening his knees? Then its up to the Basketball operations to decide whether they are willing to take the risk with the pick they had? Not many team were in position where 1. They had multiple 1st round picks and 2. Could afford to have their only pick sit out the whole year in hope of being good next year.

I personally don’t hold much hope that Giles will be what he is getting hyped up to be but I am not taking a narrow black and white view that you seems to be. Most doctors said no but Kings went there anyway. Maybe that might have been the case, we don’t know but we cannot claim with certainty that it was the case.

This time next year we will have a much clearer picture of what type of player Giles really is and whether the risk was worth it. At this point everyone is guessing without and substantiated evidence one way or the other. All that we have is here say and assumptions.
Exactly not many teams before where Giles was picked would wait a year on a guy look at those teams we had an extra pick.

Also I don’t care what anyone says 6 weeks from arthroscopic knee surgery isn’t time to recover and play basketball. That’s what Giles did and you could tell he wasn’t right

So here's the interesting question I guess.. does Giles need to blow us away from next season? Or does he also get the patience, 2-3 year pass ala WCS?

So here's the interesting question I guess.. does Giles need to blow us away from next season? Or does he also get the patience, 2-3 year pass ala WCS?
Personally, I think he needs to show signs. Realistically speaking, he has not played games consistently since his junior year in high school. That is a LOT of time to not play basketball.

It’s not only playing games but for a lot of that time his practice and development would be affected. From all reports he is practicing with the team and on top of that doing his own development trianing. That is a good start but he needs to play.

My expectations are low because of the amount of basketball (be it games or practices) he has missed in the last few years. He needs to show flashes but if people are expecting a ROY candidate or Bogdanović like production in practically his rookie season after long lay off, I think they will be disappointed.

Flashes in 20-24mpg

I’d like to see rebounding, defensive awareness, and passing. Also I’d like to see him show us his athleticism