[Game] Kings v. Heat - Friday, 2/8 - 7PT/10ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think his health issues would mean we don't try to retain Willie, but it may put a cap on how high the team is willing to re-sign him for. He has already proven he can be a capable starting center in the league.

I would try to re-sign WCS to a starter level contract (ie. 14-16 million a year). If some team goes over the top with a $20+ million a year offer, we would be less likely to match, because you know he would top out at about 30 min/game player.

Ideally, if we can re-sign WCS to around a $14 million/year contract (which is reasonable), WCS would ideally slot into the 3rd big in the rotation, once Bagley and Giles fills out.
I appreciate your enthusiasm and positive outlook OC, but Willie is not a keeper at any price. He's just not. We can do better and we will. Willie is not a starting caliber center. I wish it would have worked out with him, since we invested in him for so long with a high draft pick and many minutes. He's not good. The only reason he's still on our team now is because the Wizards preferred Bobby Portis over Willie. We wanted Otto but had to settle for Harrison. Not bad but not ideal. Portis is no world beater but that was an easy call for the Wizards to take him over Willie. There's no team who wants to make Willie their starting center this summer. That's not opinion that is fact. He's a 6-8M per year player, 8-10M if I am feeling generous, for 2-3 years. That is what he will get this summer, unlikely from us. This should not even be a debate or question but I guess it is.

Last edited:
I appreciate your enthusiasm and positive outlook OC, but Willie is not a keeper at any price. He's just not. We can do better and we will. Willie is not a starting caliber center. I wish it would have worked out with him, since we invested in him for so long with a high draft pick and many minutes. He's not good. The only reason he's still on our team now is because the Wizards preferred Bobby Portis over Willie. We wanted Otto but had to settle for Harrison. Not bad but not ideal. Portis is no world beater but that was an easy call for the Wizards to take him over Willie. There's no team who wants to make Willie their starting center this summer. That's not opinion that is fact. He's a 6-8M per year player, 8-10M if I am feeling generous, for 2-3 years. That is what he will get this summer, unlikely from us. This should not even be a debate or question but I guess it is.
Yeah, I don’t want to disrespect anyone’s opinion here, but I’m legitimately surprised there are still folks that see WCS as a long term starter here. We must have totally different perceptions of what we are seeing. He drives me bonkers

Moderator's note: The post being quoted has been deleted. Normally posts quoting deleted material are also cleaned up, but the rebuttal in this post is accurate and deserves to be retained.
Baja was very clear that the the top 3 players he wanted the Kings to draft were Jaren Jackson, Marvin Bagley & Luka Doncic (would've been happy with any of them). He did rave about the talent of Michael Porter Jr., but always pointed out that his health would dictate where he was drafted. You constantly putwords in other poster's mouths and think that everyone else will simply forget what was actually said.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think Willie is low IQ, what in the world are you doing trying to sign actually diagnosed with a learning disability and cut from the Kings the first time around because he was low IQ Whiteside?
I don't know if Whiteside has low IQ, but he's more effective than Willie from what I seen and he changed and intimidate people in the paint, unlike Willie. As far as getting cut, well he wasn't great when playing for the Kings...he was still young...what can i say.

I'll simply rebut with this: I cannot possibly conceive of any player from the Golden Era giving up on a play like that and if they had I'd have been livid. It's 100% unacceptable behavior. I'm willing to grant Willie the benefit of the doubt that he's verbally clumsy. When a player gives up on a play like that I want him gone.

By the way, I'm very much enjoying the idea that we are ahead of schedule and fun to watch. I'm just done with Willie. I'm tolerating him until Giles is ready and that will be by the start of next season. I'd be shocked if Willie still with the team then.
How do you feel about players not heaving last second shots? Personally I feel what wcs did in the video looks bad, but I'm less angered by that compared to players that won't take last second heaves from half court, I'm assuming to preserve there shooting percentage. Stuff like that pisses me off way more.

How do you feel about players not heaving last second shots? Personally I feel what wcs did in the video looks bad, but I'm less angered by that compared to players that won't take last second heaves from half court, I'm assuming to preserve there shooting percentage. Stuff like that pisses me off way more.
Yes, that's a pet peeve... and haven't seen many, any that I can recall, do that on the Kings in recent memory. But that's equally bad imo. We just have a great coach though and don't think he'd put up with that. I'd be ten bucks Willie got a good talking to as well.

If Whiteside is opting out of his contract next year (which I don't think he will), Kings should pursue him instead of signing low IQ player like Willie. As I said before, the ONLY reason Willie get to start is because Kings ain't got player with length that can rebound beside Bagley. When Bagley bulk up and be stronger, i would favor him over Willie any day.
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Yes, that's a pet peeve... and haven't seen many, any that I can recall, do that on the Kings in recent memory. But that's equally bad imo. We just have a great coach though and don't think he'd put up with that. I'd be ten bucks Willie got a good talking to as well.
It’s definitely happened on the kings a few times this year. It it what it is.

Bjelica does not fit in. I doubt he's in the long term plans, and I would bet his minutes get reduced considerably from here on out.
Problem is he's in a pretty big shooting slump. He was a good pickup, and has the ability to give a good performance, but he must get his shot back on track.

I’d be able to tolerate Willie a lot more if he simply rebounded the basketball
I could live with sub par rebounding if he committed 100 percent defensively. Willie is the perfect template for a modern day defensive big. We also know it’s within his ability. I haven’t given up hope that he’ll eventually be a full time defensive stalwart but I think it’s a problem with priorities right now. He think he needs to score to get that “bag” but if he showed the same defensive intensity most nights as he showed in the 4th vs Miami, and vs. Philadelphia he’d have a higher price tag.

I think Willie can be retained for a second deal at a good price and I’d like to see him moved to the second unit if he’s back next season. If not immediately, eventually. If he can be kept at the price some of his bigger detractors suggest he could. It’s a no brainer to keep him. He’s definitely a strong rotational player who still provides unique ability.

I get on Willie a lot as well. If things are going poorly his disposition can be pretty infuriating. He doesn’t always give the best effort or he does a great job appearing like he doesn’t give the best effort but I think there is something to maybe his minutes being too high. He’s been a go to scapegoat even in games where Fox is 2 for 10 by the 4th, Bogi is airmailing thees, Bjeli hasnt produced, Bags/HG having growing pains, and Buddy is sitting on the bench or not getting the ball for ridiculously long stretches(not on Buddy, the most consistent of the Kings as far as production and effort). That can all be going on in the same game(like vs Miami) and all the hate will be directed at Willie. It hasn’t always been fair for Willie and I think it has more to do with his demeanor and personality. Most could probably live with his mistakes or shortcomings if he had more emotion. He also says whatever pops into his head(which is admirable) and it’s almost always the wrong thing to say. He’s like the anti-Boogie when it comes to clear vested interest in the game he’s playing but he’s also not stoic like a Kawhi. He’s Willie.

Last edited:
Problem is he's in a pretty big shooting slump. He was a good pickup, and has the ability to give a good performance, but he must get his shot back on track.
they should just play him as the back up 3 in the 2nd unit and start Barnes or Bagley @PF, our bench of Harry/Bagley/Burks/Yogi/Bjelica is pretty beast imo.

well WCS we didn’t trade him for what ever reason? I believe it would be really dumb to pay him over 10 to 11 million and have regrets thinking about that.
Can you imagine how lackluster he could be if he goes into pouting mode if he doesn’t get paid?
Yes with him only playing 24 minutes or something like that the other night I really do do think the coach said something to him as when he went back in at the end he was what we were expecting him to be.

He’s had his chance since Cousins left but darn it we need him if we are going to advance this year.

I would hate to lose him for nothing next year but something has to be done as now it should be obvious to everyone that the center position is our only week point.

Come on tonight’s the night you should show us with your experience you are better than a rookie so show us what you got.

Willie is a journey man level C that lacks mental toughness and motivation.
He is a good fit for a mediocre team that is not going anywhere.
Fortunately for us, the Kings are a team on the rise with playoff aspirations, so I can't see Willie as part of the long term solution.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’ve wiped the last Phoenix game from my memory, but the first one Willie made Ayton look silly. Hopefully more of that Willie.

He’s been pretty bad lately outside of the comeback section of the Heat game, so let’s see a full (at least more full) game today!

Bjelica's worst shooting month was January when he shot season worst 36.5% from 3 with a true shooting percentage of only 50%.
Feb looks better so far.
He is shooting 50% from the field, 38% from 3 in the last 4 games in February for a TS of 62%.
Other than shooting he is ok in big man categories:
He is our 3rd best rebounder in RPG even though he is 7th in minutes played.
He is 2nd in blocked shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.