Kings trade Skal for Caleb Swanigan

Danny Marang @DMarang
Skal might not be a sexy move but he’s an upgrade and a position that was lacking depth. I’m still waiting for another move though - and I think they’re trying to make one more. Definitely going to be frustrated if they don’t make it. Little less than 20 minutes to go....

Caleb looks like a big boy. If he can be a hustle rebounder while taking up all kinds of space inside, I see no issue. I really like Skal, but he wasn't ever going to get into the rotation IMO. He needs a chance on another squad.

Absolute unit:
Dang! Swanigan actually has some post moves. Plenty of offensive boards and putbacks too. Nothing not to like here.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure there is this much foresight with the move but Swanigan is now another big outside of Harry that can run high post offense.

What happened to his three point shot? Swanigan shot 44% on 3 point attempts in college.
NBA Basketball Courts – the 3 point arc is 22 feet to the center of the rim on the sides with a straight line extending out 16 feet 9 inches from the baseline. ... Mens and Womens College Basketball Courts – the 3 point arc is 20 feet 9 inches.

Skal was caught in a numbers game I hoped he'd have a breakout season with the work he out in on his body and game but it didn't happen. Bjelica took the stretch four role I thought Labissiere might grow into and Skal hasn't improved his rebounding which the Kings need with Willie not being a great rebounder or consistent in the glass.

Swanigan is a nice bench big and a good big body to have going forward, especially after Koufos is gone.

Big arms and shoulders but short. Decent box-out in the highlights. If the Kngs fall out of playoff hunt, can experiment more with him. Kings have traded for a starter, rotation player, and 3rd string now.

Skal was caught in a numbers game I hoped he'd have a breakout season with the work he out in on his body and game but it didn't happen. Bjelica took the stretch four role I thought Labissiere might grow into and Skal go hasn't improved his rebounding which the Kings need with Willie not being a great rebounder or consistent in the glass.

Swanigan is a nice bench big and a good big body to have going forward, especially after Koufos is gone.
And Koufos needs to go. He's factory blue-collar with little-to-no development potential. HIs offense is wretched.

For the record, I'm also a Blazer's fan and have watched a lot of Swanigan. Not a ton to be overly excited about, but perhaps he could be a solid role player one day. Sort of like Dejuan Blaire with the hint of a 3 point shot? Definitely a hard worker with a good head on his shoulders. Notably, he was obese as a middle schooler (See Thumbnail attached) before getting his life back on track and becoming a basketball star. For that reason, he is nicknamed "Biggie."

homelesstostar.jpg

They're trying to develop Zach Collins. Still, Meyers Leonard isn't that impressive and they are starved for PFs. Their starting PF is Aminu...
I don't think they appreciate lunch pail guys for some reason. Ed Davis was begging to re-sign at a discount and they went another direction. I actually think Skal will get a chance because they even let Papa play. Maybe he'll seize the opportunity.

Lot of talk like Swanigan is going to come in and do this and that. Remember, he couldn't beat out Meyers Leonard in the rotation so dont be surprised if this trade turns out to be for nothing.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Lot of talk like Swanigan is going to come in and do this and that. Remember, he couldn't beat out Meyers Leonard in the rotation so dont be surprised if this trade turns out to be for nothing.
Hopefully the Kings have intentions of giving him a shot. Like I said above, skill wise he fits with much of the offense the Kings want to run. Skal is more Portlands type of big as well.