Kings trade JT, Nik and Landry to Sixers (renamed)

So how long until the sports web sites purge the "Worst Trade Ever" stories? I doubt they will want to follow up with what Vlade did with the money.
I know reading this board it will seem crazy, but outside of the Kings everybody thinks Rondo is a terrible signing... so don't expect them to give Vlade any credit for it- or change their outlook on the trade

I know reading this board it will seem crazy, but outside of the Kings everybody thinks Rondo is a terrible signing... so don't expect them to give Vlade any credit for it- or change their outlook on the trade
Of course they do....Romdo could have signed for free and they would have said the same thing.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I couldn't possibly care less what people outside think of the signing. I know Sacramento and I know how much a supportive fan base can mean to a player. I'd just as soon outsiders keep underestimating the job Vlade is doing.

I couldn't possibly care less what people outside think of the signing. I know Sacramento and I know how much a supportive fan base can mean to a player. I'd just as soon outsiders keep underestimating the job Vlade is doing.
You don't care about they think- but the comment I was posting on talked about exactly that...we aren't going to get any credit for this signing and that's all i was saying.

OK so far, "Flexible $" (capspace) is kicking the crap out of "Flexible parts" (Thomas, Skinner, Corliss). If you're gonna get something to deal with - cap space is better than mediocre vets by a mile.

And it is not even close.

I don't get people who hate the Sixers trade. It has already worked out - still room for one more signing - no dead wood on the team.

Bravo Vlade

The national narrative on this won't change -- we're still a punching bag. They'll say Rondo is living out of a suitcase until he can escape "basketball purgatory" and move to a real team. We've quietly put together a respectable roster though. Respect is earned on the court. I can see this team surprising a lot of people next year.
Hell yeah these boys are going to have a chip on their shoulder, and Karl is the kind of guy who can maximize that kind of passion. If he can get past his DMC beef it will be incredible here next year.

The national narrative on this won't change -- we're still a punching bag. They'll say Rondo is living out of a suitcase until he can escape "basketball purgatory" and move to a real team. We've quietly put together a respectable roster though. Respect is earned on the court. I can see this team surprising a lot of people next year.
The only way to stop it is to win games.

OK so far, "Flexible $" (capspace) is kicking the crap out of "Flexible parts" (Thomas, Skinner, Corliss). If you're gonna get something to deal with - cap space is better than mediocre vets by a mile.

And it is not even close.

I don't get people who hate the Sixers trade. It has already worked out - still room for one more signing - no dead wood on the team.

Bravo Vlade
I hated it yesterday but said I'd re-evaluate based on signings. I love it today.

Let's be real- this is already the best, or at least 2nd best, FA crop in Sacramento history. We're getting desireable FA's, as did Milwaukee, while the two LA teams are striking out and losing players.

I think the skepticism yesterday was well warranted, and I am very happy as a fan of the Sacramento Kings to be able to say today that I was wrong. Vlade is proving himself in very short order.

I hated it yesterday but said I'd re-evaluate based on signings. I love it today.

Let's be real- this is already the best, or at least 2nd best, FA crop in Sacramento history. We're getting desireable FA's, as did Milwaukee, while the two LA teams are striking out and losing players.

I think the skepticism yesterday was well warranted, and I am very happy as a fan of the Sacramento Kings to be able to say today that I was wrong. Vlade is proving himself in very short order.
I'll back this up. I'm still not a fan of how much they had to give up (maybe just give up stauskas to clear landry, rather than the pick and the lotto swap nonsense). But, it is a sunk cost, and so far the the results have been pretty good.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Let's see if we can make the narrative get worse. No, seriously. What I mean by this is - let's go all the way and sign Josh Smith. Sure, we'd be Psych Ward West™, but there would be a lot of talent on that team.

I think the crazy dream based on current rumor/speculation/available FAs would be to convince Josh Smith to come on the cheap (say $3-4M, and since he's still getting his Detroit dollars that's not unthinkable), spend the rest of the cap on Koufos, sign Omri to the Room MLE, and then grab up Raduljica on a min contract. Barring any other tweaks, that would be

Rondo/Collison/McCallum/(Stockton)
McLemore/Belinelli/Anderson
Gay/Casspi
Smith/WCS/Moreland
Cousins/Koufos/Raduljica

My heart says that's a playoff team, but my head does too.

Let's see if we can make the narrative get worse. No, seriously. What I mean by this is - let's go all the way and sign Josh Smith. Sure, we'd be Psych Ward West™, but there would be a lot of talent on that team.

I think the crazy dream based on current rumor/speculation/available FAs would be to convince Josh Smith to come on the cheap (say $3-4M, and since he's still getting his Detroit dollars that's not unthinkable), spend the rest of the cap on Koufos, sign Omri to the Room MLE, and then grab up Raduljica on a min contract. Barring any other tweaks, that would be

Gay/Casspi
Smith/WCS/Moreland
Cousins/Koufos/Raduljica

I'd still want a wing defender on the bench, but I like that plan. Smith at PF with his two buddies alongside him could be a very good thing. He's still a solid player when he curtails his worst jumpshooting tendencies. I would hope that DeMarcus, Rudy, and Rajon can get in his ear about his shot selection.

Gay/Casspi
Smith/WCS/Moreland
Cousins/Koufos/Raduljica

And we will keep many writers well stocked all summer and all season. Win or lose really.

The media will wet their pants if we sign Josh Smith.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The trade looks official now:

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/150710-kings-trade-story

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball...lly-announce-trade-kings?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Not to be nit-picky, but I thought we also got a future 2nd round pick out of the trade???

Also, since the Kings have not officially signed their free agents, does that mean we do not get the $16 mil TPE???
I don't recall any reports indicating that we got a future second on top of the Gudaitis and Mitrovic picks.

We were never going to get (keep) a TPE. TPE counts against the cap number, which means if we kept the TPE we would have been out $16M in cap space that we used instead.

I've seen some different versions of the pick and draft swaps that Philly is getting. Has anyone summed it up authoritatively and if so could someone paste it here.

I've read that Philly gets TWO swaps, and I've also read that Philly gets ONE swap in EITHER of two years. Which is it and are there any protections on the swaps? And if the pick is top 10 protected, what happens the year after that.. does it become unprotected, does it become a second, or does the protection change each year like the Chicago pick?

All in one easy to comprehend post - can someone do it? With authority - not guessing.

I've seen some different versions of the pick and draft swaps that Philly is getting. Has anyone summed it up authoritatively and if so could someone paste it here.

I've read that Philly gets TWO swaps, and I've also read that Philly gets ONE swap in EITHER of two years. Which is it and are there any protections on the swaps? And if the pick is top 10 protected, what happens the year after that.. does it become unprotected, does it become a second, or does the protection change each year like the Chicago pick?

All in one easy to comprehend post - can someone do it? With authority - not guessing.
The first rounder:
We owe our 2016 first-rounder to the Chicago Bulls. That pick is top-10 protected next year, and if it doesn’t convey then it will be top-10 protected in 2017 as well. Should the pick still not convey by then, it will become a second-round pick.
The Sixers will receive Sacramento’s first-round pick either two years after the Kings’ first-round debt to the Bulls is paid or in 2018 if the pick owed to Chicago becomes two seconds (in case we keep our pick next year. and lose it in 2017 we will give the sixers the 2019 first rounder top 10 protected or 2020 unprotected because of the Stepien rule).
The pick owed to Philadelphia is protected for picks 1-10 for one year before becoming unprotected.

The pick swaps:
The picks swaps depend partially upon the Kings’ debt to Chicago. The Sixers have the right to swap first-rounders with Sacramento in both 2016 and 2017, but their ability to do so may go away in one of those seasons if the Kings select outside the top-10 and thus convey their pick to the Bulls. It should be noted that the right to swap comes after the Draft Lottery is conducted, meaning that if the Kings were to finish with a better record (and therefore a less favorable pick) than the Sixers, they could still jump ahead of Philadelphia via the lottery. In that case, Philadelphia would choose to swap picks with Sacramento.

What this means is that if the Kings miss the playoffs in either of the next two seasons, Philadelphia will essentially receive Sacramento’s ping pong balls going into the lottery. There is no protection on the swap.

Last edited:
The first rounder:
We owe our 2016 first-rounder to the Chicago Bulls. That pick is top-10 protected next year, and if it doesn’t convey then it will be top-10 protected in 2017 as well. Should the pick still not convey by then, it will become a second-round pick.
The Sixers will receive Sacramento’s first-round pick either two years after the Kings’ first-round debt to the Bulls is paid or in 2018 if the pick owed to Chicago becomes two seconds (in case we keep our pick next year. and lose it in 2017 we will give the sixers the 2019 first rounder top 10 protected or 2020 unprotected because of the Stepien rule).
The pick owed to Philadelphia is protected for picks 1-10 for one year before becoming unprotected.

The pick swaps:
The picks swaps depend partially upon the Kings’ debt to Chicago. The Sixers have the right to swap first-rounders with Sacramento in both 2016 and 2017, but their ability to do so may go away in one of those seasons if the Kings select outside the top-10 and thus convey their pick to the Bulls. It should be noted that the right to swap comes after the Draft Lottery is conducted, meaning that if the Kings were to finish with a better record (and therefore a less favorable pick) than the Sixers, they could still jump ahead of Philadelphia via the lottery. In that case, Philadelphia would choose to swap picks with Sacramento.

What this means is that if the Kings miss the playoffs in either of the next two seasons, Philadelphia will essentially receive Sacramento’s ping pong balls going into the lottery. There is no protection on the swap.
That sucks. I thought there was top 10 protection throughout.

What is the stepien rule?

That sucks. I thought there was top 10 protection throughout.

What is the stepien rule?
"The NBA prohibits teams from trading first-round draft picks in successive seasons. The rule was put in place in response to Ted Stepien's disastrous run as owner and de facto general manager of the Cleveland Cavaliers.
During Stepien's reign, the Cavaliers made a practice of trading future draft picks for marginal veteran players. His most notable deal sent a 1982 first-round pick to the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for Dan Ford and the 22nd overall pick in 1980.
That 1982 pick wound up being the first overall selection, which the Lakers used to select future hall-of-famer James Worthy."

So basically you can't trade consecutive first rounders because this guy was that bad as a GM...

speaking of qualifications to be a GM - Bricklayer has often said "I could be a GM" and I honestly believe him - the basic premise that being a good GM doesn't require a long deep NBA resume or a specific education.

Brings me to my point. Vlade Divac has really snuck up on all of us. Pete D'Alessandro probably wasn't the only one who figured it was a ceremonial role at first - I think we all believed that (I sure did). But, now that it appears that Vlade is really and truly calling the shots - well, he has done a pretty damn good job of it. So.. why SHOULD he worry about hiring a GM. How about if he just keeps being the head of basketball operations - calling the personnel shots with a little help from his friends? Let him hire a consigliere like Jerry West's kid or some third stringer from San Antonio or something like that - maybe a cap guru to replace Pete... but let Vlade be the next iteration of Geoff Petrie until he absolutely proves he can't.

Yeah yeah the national press is making fun - and Vlade has not been in the NBA for 10 years. People thought it preposterous at first that Vlade was put in charge. so what - I give very few effs about that and I think we could do a lot worse. I think it is Vivek's stroke of genius and he ought to run with this winner.

Bottom line I do not think Vlade needs to hire a GM. He is the GM. Seems to have been Vivek's plan from the time he hired Vlade. Lets have him stand in Geoff's old spot in the tunnel and I think we'll be ok. And I think that is true even if he ends up having to fire Karl.

The first rounder:

The pick swaps:

Chicago is getting 2016 and Philly 2018. No swaps.