Kings trade Dedmon for Parker and Len (merged)

Like it or hate it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It cost us the season? How exactly? Are you trying to say that we would be in the playoff hunt if we have not signed Ariza and Dedmon? What, did you expect them to be all stars?! Did we pass up a superstar who was hoping for an offer? Smh.

The fact is their signings have been made fairly inconsequential.

My issue is let’s compare how two teams used cap space:

Memphis: Traded with the Warriors for Andre Iguodala. Got a 2024 first round pick and then flipped Iggy for Justice Winslow.

Sacramento: overpaid for Dedmon... flipped him and two seconds for Parker and Len.

one team added young assets while the other team had to use them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It cost us the season? How exactly? Are you trying to say that we would be in the playoff hunt if we have not signed Ariza and Dedmon? What, did you expect them to be all stars?! Did we pass up a superstar who was hoping for an offer? Smh.

The fact is their signings have been made fairly inconsequential.
Whoa. You totally missed my point. I was saying that the post I quoted was an example of what he referred to in my previous post. It was not in any way a commentary on the playoffs, Ariza, Dedmon, etc.

VF21 said:
...What amazes me is the ability of some here to turn this into yet another condemnation of Vlade when he did exactly what some have been calling for. It cost us virtually nothing to get rid of Dedmon and his albatross contract and we acquired two players who will be much easier to move/waive/etc. There's a chance that one of both of them might actually work out...

Although I do not think Parker and Len will have a long stint in Sacto, we already have a lot of bigs. I hope this does not affect Giles' tenure with the Kings.

In all seriousness I actually do like Jabari Parker. He's always trashed for his apparently terrible defense. I don't know much about that. But the guy can score.

We'll see what happens with him.

As for Len, he can protect the rim a little and can rebound. That said, he has zero touch around the rim. He's a bust and will be gone.

I like this trade. Parker was a phenomenal high school and college freshman player. Yes he’s been injured and under-performed. Yes the NBA is littered with such players (though not that many so highly regarded). Also there are some who found their legs and superb ability at 25 years old and blossomed. Take that chance.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mixed feelings on this trade: 1) Great to get out of Dedmons contract, only cost us Miami and GS (later picks) so not bad. 2) What other team trades their FA at the deadline every yr? I'm not sure players Wont want to sign those contracts but as far as trading your "big" signings no other team does that every yr. Bad look. 3) Not sure why the Kings "love" Parker but hes THREE yrs younger than Buddy and Bogi so you never know what might happen, otherwise he is a known bench scorer. Len is a big body who can play spot minutes and expires. As to point #2 not bad at all but why do we play this game every year? 4) It seems like the Kings keep Bogi so that's awesome. 5) The roster is not balanced. Where does Parker fit, and to a lesser extent Len. Seems like something else will happen. Whether it does or not, and whether that's good or bad remains to be seen.
While that might be worth considering, remember that Dedmon said straight out (and even got fined for saying it) that he wanted to be traded.

Memphis: Traded with the Warriors for Andre Iguodala. Got a 2024 first round pick and then flipped Iggy for Justice Winslow.

Sacramento: overpaid for Dedmon... flipped him and two seconds for Parker and Len.

C’mom STD. You’re making a bad comparison.

One, Andre Iguodala has a lot more value even at his current age than DeWayne Dedmon. So shake yourself there.

Secondly, Justice Winslow is a 4+ season vet that’s in now way lit up the league or shown that he’s a coup in this deal.

The 1st round pick is nice, but, again, Iggy should return a better haul.

So, this trade pretty much proves what I've been saying about the front office and rumors. NOBODY saw this coming - and I'm very happy in that regard.

What amazes me is the ability of some here to turn this into yet another condemnation of Vlade when he did exactly what some have been calling for. It cost us virtually nothing to get rid of Dedmon and his albatross contract and we acquired two players who will be much easier to move/waive/etc. There's a chance that one of both of them might actually work out...

Anyway, I like the trade.
It may not of been our front office, but was quite a few people thinking Atlanta may want him back.

also both guys have been out due to injury. file under hate it.
This was my initial thought when I first saw “SAC trades for Jabari Parker and Alex Len” scroll across the ticker.

I was about to snap if the trade involved Bogi or Belly. But when I saw that it was for Dedmon and 2 seconds, I was still a bit upset. Because it doesn’t move the proverbial needle. At all.

But if it helps to re-sign Bogi or helps to facilitate another more impactful trade, I’m ok with it.

But, on the surface, I hate that the KINGS landed another Duke player (hasn’t the league caught on yet that Duke players rarely workout and even the ones that are good almost always have injury issues???) that also isn’t very adept on the defensive side of the ball. Len is, well, like the poll option, MEH.

The FA signings of Ariza & Dedmon were bad.

But we took two likely poor seconds in the next two drafts, consolidated those for possibly good seconds in 2024 & 2025 while having a whole lot of them the next few drafts.

Then take a flier on a young guy in Parker, who does have a legitimate long shot chance of being a solid NBA player, small chance & huge injury risk sure.

Hopefully we use the cap wisely in the off season. But not bad considering.

While that might be worth considering, remember that Dedmon said straight out (and even got fined for saying it) that he wanted to be traded.
Well the signing in the first place coupled with George Hill before. Both said they wanted a trade. It's worth considering bc it's a pattern and other teams dont have this pattern.

Buddy was not wrong when he said no star FAs have wanted to come to Sac. We will continue to have to overpay for even rotational vets - such is life. Last off-season was probably our best shot as things were looking up. This offseason Sac is going to be an even less desirable destination.
If the Kings would draft better, then they would have quality players in the pipeline as assets to trade or develop. That might help reduce the amount of FAs they need to lure with bloated contracts.

Memphis has been masterful with their use of assets and cap space. Got decent young talent and picks for Conley as well as a productive vet in Crowder. Got assets for Gasol instead of losing him for nothing. Got a pick for taking on Iggy then held on to him when I have no doubt Vlade would have bought him out and they got a really good haul for him in Winslow.

Ja
Brooks
Winslow
JJJ
Jval/Clarke

What an awesome start to their rebuild only 1 1/2 years into it. Makes me jealous what we could have been with a real front office.

Is Parker Derrick Williams 2.0?
Basically. Complete tweener that can't defend the 3 or the 4 and takes up really high USG without offering much playmaking or spacing. He's been better offensively this year, but he's such a negative on the defensive end that his decent scoring ability has no positive impact to winning.

We'll likely be on the hook for him next year as I doubt he'd risk heading into a shallow FA market this off-season.

C’mom STD. You’re making a bad comparison.

One, Andre Iguodala has a lot more value even at his current age than DeWayne Dedmon. So shake yourself there.

Secondly, Justice Winslow is a 4+ season vet that’s in now way lit up the league or shown that he’s a coup in this deal.

The 1st round pick is nice, but, again, Iggy should return a better haul.
you do know Memphis got Iggy from Golden State for free. In fact, Golden State paid Memphis a 1st to take Iggy. Then after getting paid to take him they turned him into Winslow!

Memphis has been masterful with their use of assets and cap space. Got decent young talent and picks for Conley as well as a productive vet in Crowder. Got assets for Gasol instead of losing him for nothing. Got a pick for taking on Iggy then held on to him when I have no doubt Vlade would have bought him out and they got a really good haul for him in Winslow.

Ja
Brooks
Winslow
JJJ
Jval/Clarke

What an awesome start to their rebuild only 1 1/2 years into it. Makes me jealous what we could have been with a real front office.
It’s a great comparison in many respects because Memphis is a small market team like Sacramento. It’s just maddening to see how well many other franchises handle their basketball operations and how dismally the Kings handle theirs.

Pretty boring trade, another small ball 4 that doesn't play defense. What a horrible offseason Vlade had resigning Barnes and spending $10,000,000/year on Deadmon and Ariza. Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.