Kings trade Dedmon for Parker and Len (merged)

Like it or hate it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look again. It's not about the players we're getting. It's about the player we just made cap room to be able to pay. ;)

EDIT: Ooops. Looks like Tetsu beat me to it. :p
Except that we'd sign Bogi anyway. So really it just saves us from luxury tax down the road. It's not like we were going to sign Bogi and still make another huge signing, which is why I think you were kind of right in other threads stating that "I'm not paying the bill".

anyways, yes I get it. I just feel like we got fleeced by Dedmon here more than anything. and if he goes back to Atlanta and starts playing well again I think I will rip my hair out.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Kings sign Dedmon and Ariza, 40 games later they gone. Word of advice to future free agents, don't sign unless you expect to be traded within a year. With that said, this trade does nothing really but free up some room to give a bit more to Bogdanovic. Len is a soft big man.

For sure. I'm glad VF21 added that "meh option".

I don't hate the trade, but if you wanna have the cap space to resign Bogi, don't throw out big deals to journeyman role players in the first place?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

I don't hate the trade, but if you wanna have the cap space to resign Bogi, don't throw out big deals to journeyman role players in the first place?
exactly. It happens every single off season, I guess to round out the roster because the expirings so you have to fill out the roster some way, at least it's all short term deals which Vlade has been good at handing out.

Buddy was not wrong when he said no star FAs have wanted to come to Sac. We will continue to have to overpay for even rotational vets - such is life. Last off-season was probably our best shot as things were looking up. This offseason Sac is going to be an even less desirable destination.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Buddy was not wrong when he said no star FAs have wanted to come to Sac. We will continue to have to overpay for even rotational vets - such is life. Last off-season was probably our best shot as things were looking up. This offseason Sac is going to be an even less desirable destination.
Yeah, this is true. And Vlade does always seem able to jettison said overpaid roleplayers pretty quickly if they don't work out. As, Kingsboi mentioned, this is probably thanks to the way he structures the deals (usually they're pretty short, with team options).

It just gives one the feeling of dirty water circling a drain, or a dog chasing it's own tail, the way that Vlade signs guys only to trade them away every season.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Funny that Atlanta didn't seem to want to pony up to sign Dedmon in the offseason, now they're trading for him. Dedmon finally showed some signs of life in past week, but it's hard to feel like he's a big loss. Parker is still only 24, so maybe there's a bit of room for him to develop if he picks up that player option.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Funny that Atlanta didn't seem to want to pony up to sign Dedmon in the offseason, now they're trading for him. Dedmon finally showed some signs of life in past week, but it's hard to feel like he's a big loss. Parker is still only 24, so maybe there's a bit of room for him to develop if he picks up that player option.
Another number 2 pick. I bet Milwaukee had pretty high hopes for him at some point.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
So, let me make sure I have this right: last summer, Atlanta lets the Undertaker walk, for nothing, and now they bring him back, at twice what they were paying him before? And less than a day after they just traded for a much better player, who plays the same position? Boy, I hope they strike gold with those second-rounders...

EDIT - I appear to have been ninja'd by @Capt. Factorial

Yeah file me under the “intrigued by Parker” camp...although I’m not sure how Luke is going to improve our defense and b-ball iq while getting the best out of guys like Bagley, Parker, and Buddy. We shall see though...

Think about what you’re saying. In the 5 years Parker has been in the league, he misses an average of 30 or more games every year. He’s like Derrick Williams 2.0. Len is terrible. Just awful.

Kangz Bench Mob on a 30 win team

Joseph
Bazemore
Tolliver
Parker
Len

Hilarious!
Keep moving those deck chairs.

Considering how Bad Dedmon was here, it was actually the best Vlade could do.

Deadmon contributed to a couple of wins in games I did not see and looked like he was wearing horse shoes on his hands in games I did. He also requested a trade. So ciao.

Don't care for Parker who says he does not care for defense but also doesn't seem like he's getting paid too much so cool/ whatever.

Len can finish the season here and we can go into the off-season with the 5 spot as our biggest need.

Meh for me.

Develo
Develop? Soon as he comes back from his 10th injury in 5 seasons. The guy misses an average of 30 games or more per year.
Len? He straight terrible. No better than Dedmon.

Think about what you’re saying. In the 5 years Parker has been in the league, he misses an average of 30 or more games every year. He’s like Derrick Williams 2.0. Len is terrible. Just awful.

Kangz Bench Mob on a 30 win team

Joseph
Bazemore
Tolliver
Parker
Len

Hilarious!
Keep moving those deck chairs.

Considering how Bad Dedmon was here, it was actually the best Vlade could do.
Still better than Dedmon imo but yes you are correct.

More money to sign Bogi as part of the future core.
Fox extension next summer. Bagley After.

You could have 5 players tying up 80 percent of the cap. With absolutely nothing to show for it.
Nothing.
Kings will be the Wizards of the West. But, No All Stars either. Or the Dubs in reverse.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So, this trade pretty much proves what I've been saying about the front office and rumors. NOBODY saw this coming - and I'm very happy in that regard.

What amazes me is the ability of some here to turn this into yet another condemnation of Vlade when he did exactly what some have been calling for. It cost us virtually nothing to get rid of Dedmon and his albatross contract and we acquired two players who will be much easier to move/waive/etc. There's a chance that one of both of them might actually work out...

Anyway, I like the trade.

Deadmon contributed to a couple of wins in games I did not see and looked like he was wearing horse shoes on his hands in games I did. He also requested a trade. So ciao.

Don't care for Parker who says he does not care for defense but also doesn't seem like he's getting paid too much so cool/ whatever.

Len can finish the season here and we can go into the off-season with the 5 spot as our biggest need.

Meh for me.
He lost us about 10 times that, honestly I don't think Parker could be much worse than Barnes on the wing at least you notice how terrible/good he's playing. Len is basically a bigger less athletic WCS.

Wait, wasn’t the initial rumor: kings trading dedmon to atl and we were GETTING a couple 2nd rounders?

Vlade “I had a better offer 2 weeks ago”
:p

So, this trade pretty much proves what I've been saying about the front office and rumors. NOBODY saw this coming - and I'm very happy in that regard.

What amazes me is the ability of some here to turn this into yet another condemnation of Vlade when he did exactly what some have been calling for. It cost us virtually nothing to get rid of Dedmon and his albatross contract and we acquired two players who will be much easier to move/waive/etc. There's a chance that one of both of them might actually work out...

Anyway, I like the trade.
It cost us the whole season ,yeah he cleaned up the mess he spilled all over the floor but the floor is now forever stained. This would be a solid move if he was not the one who signed Dedmon/Ariza in the first place and had taken over from the idiot that did. The trade is a C+ at best.

Just a few months ago a large majority of everyone loved the Dedmon signing. I think Vlade the GM is utter rubbish, but this isn’t one of the times. In any way.
The trade is fine but to pretend that the off-season signings cost us nothing is not right, the off-season was as bad as we have ever had.

Dedmon ends his career on a high note, before Holmes comes back on Friday, Harry gets a little extra playing time, and we free up cap space to resign Bogi? Yeah, I'm good with this. Thanks, Dwayne, for being a consummate professional and a contributor. Wish we could keep you too!

Mixed feelings on this trade: 1) Great to get out of Dedmons contract, only cost us Miami and GS (later picks) so not bad. 2) What other team trades their FA at the deadline every yr? I'm not sure players Wont want to sign those contracts but as far as trading your "big" signings no other team does that every yr. Bad look. 3) Not sure why the Kings "love" Parker but hes THREE yrs younger than Buddy and Bogi so you never know what might happen, otherwise he is a known bench scorer. Len is a big body who can play spot minutes and expires. As to point #2 not bad at all but why do we play this game every year? 4) It seems like the Kings keep Bogi so that's awesome. 5) The roster is not balanced. Where does Parker fit, and to a lesser extent Len. Seems like something else will happen. Whether it does or not, and whether that's good or bad remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.