Kings trade 49th pick for rights to Sasha Vezenkov

Hopefully, player Polygamy doesn’t result in the League Office snatching our draft picks.
if the kings are still pursuing Collins, then Harrison Barnes and a FRP or Mitchell would probably need to be involved. Collins fits our timeline better than Barnes, but I would hate to lose Mitchell in any deal. I would send a protected FRP, instead of Mitchell in any deal.

In the event there's this Harrison Barnes / John Collins type swap, stands to reason a player like Vezenkov and even Trey Lyles would have a shot to really contribute in the place of Barnes

it's hard to imagine the defense in the paint not being atrocious in that scenario but I guess as things stand rn it doesnt figure to be too good anyways..

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
if the kings are still pursuing Collins, then Harrison Barnes and a FRP or Mitchell would probably need to be involved. Collins fits our timeline better than Barnes, but I would hate to lose Mitchell in any deal. I would send a protected FRP, instead of Mitchell in any deal.
It's hard to know. Collins doesn't want to be there. Atlanta doesn't want him to be there. Doesn't seem like a great negotiating position.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
With our use of basically all of the MLE, we have somewhat handcuffed ourselves if we want to bring Vezenkov over this year. However, it looks like he isn't making a ton under his Olympiacos contract - about $900K per year - so we could easily beat that (and pay the buyout, rumored to be about $1M - technically we can only pay $800K and Vezenkov would have to cover the rest) with the BAE. Still, we can only go up to 2 years.

Since the BAE is $4.1M, assuming Vezenkov's buyout is $1M, we could give him $3.3M + $3.465M over two years, plus pay the $800K we're allowed to pay on the buyout. After paying his portion he'd get about $6.5M total over two years, but since it appears his contract is about $2M total also over the next two years, obviously we've got the chance to beat it easily.

Seems like it would be tough for him to say no to that, if we offer. Now the question is, do we offer? Or do we use the BAE some other way?

Last edited:
With our use of basically all of the MLE, we have somewhat handcuffed ourselves if we want to bring Vezenkov over this year. However, it looks like he isn't making a ton under his Olympiacos contract - about $900M per year - so we could easily beat that (and pay the buyout, rumored to be about $1M - technically we can only pay $800K and Vezenkov would have to cover the rest) with the BAE. Still, we can only go up to 2 years.

Since the BAE is $4.1M, assuming Vezenkov's buyout is $1M, we could give him $3.3M + $3.465M over two years, plus pay the $800K we're allowed to pay on the buyout. After paying his portion he'd get about $6.5M total over two years, but since it appears his contract is about $2M total also over the next two years, obviously we've got the chance to beat it easily.

Seems like it would be tough for him to say no to that, if we offer. Now the question is, do we offer? Or do we use the BAE some other way?
Damn more than Jokic,Towns, Morant and Booker COMBINED.

With our use of basically all of the MLE, we have somewhat handcuffed ourselves if we want to bring Vezenkov over this year. However, it looks like he isn't making a ton under his Olympiacos contract - about $900K per year - so we could easily beat that (and pay the buyout, rumored to be about $1M - technically we can only pay $800K and Vezenkov would have to cover the rest) with the BAE. Still, we can only go up to 2 years.

Off topic, but your reply somehow sparked a memory — remember not so many years ago when there was this nonsensical debate going on about a trend of NBA players going to play in Europe?? Yeah, me neither ;)

In all seriousness IIRC it was Josh Childress‘ signing over there and maybe another prominent free agent or two that sparked the debate. Some were emphatic that is was a trend sure to grow due to financial reasons. And some big stars would eventually go there,

Yeah, that surely happened…..

Some other way - I Dont think the BAE is enough for one of the Martin Twins due to them being RFA, would be a cherry on top of Monte's Off Season if he got one- we need Backup SF.

or Sign a SL SF star for 4 mil?

They weren’t lying/finally a plan: https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/k...nair-aligned-kings-biggest-need-offseason?amp

De'Aaron Fox sat down with reporters and discussed the team's needs.

"I think most winning teams are built the same," Fox said. "You got your two, three, maybe four guys and everything else is kind of length and shooting. Just being built like that, I feel like we have a pretty good foundation where we're at, but obviously you can never have too much length and too much shooting in the NBA. That's at a premium."

Kings general manager Monte McNair spoke to reporters on Tuesday and echoed Fox's desire to add more shooting.

"I think there's lots of guys that fit with De'Aaron and [Domantas Sabonis], they're fun and easy to play with," McNair said. "I think we certainly have players on this team that fit great with them and will continue to go like we do every offseason through draft, trade and free agency, we'll continue to try and add others. I think shooting, we can clearly acknowledge, will be a huge priority. It's a priority for every team, but certainly around those two guys. Shooting will be a big one. Length, athleticism, versatility, we've talked about all that as well. Obviously, you want the whole package, but shooting will be a big priority for us."

Ok here we go. More official source. I think he's coming over and it's just ironing out the details. Would he really fly all the way to Vegas to not sign?
But but but, our board insiders, who judge every move instantaneously, and always in the worst possible light, said this was just selling a second round draft pick for cash, that we had never heard of this guy, and that there was no way he’d come over. There was no way this was part of a plan to acquire a guy we liked.

Turns out we really wanted the guy. Sasha said we had scouts at his games earlier this year and now it looks like there is real momentum to bring him. It looks like Monte had a plan after all, and he is probably bringing in a much better player than who we would have picked at 49. That is going to hurt the “narrative” some are trying to spin. Maybe, just maybe, Monte is a better GM than some want to admit…

Personally I was fine with trading 49 for Vezenkov if he was going to come over. That trade follows clear logic. 37 for two future late 2nds, with talent on the board, not so much. I'm not even a Monte critic, but that trade was, and will continue to be, total ass.
No disagreement. But the first two pages of this thread have a number of people blowing a gasket about selling this pick, when we had no idea the intention. Despite people saying “let’s wait and see,” they were certain it was a cash grab and spoke with authority on that point. Just curious if they will show up and admit they were wrong on this one.

Turns out we really wanted the guy. Sasha said we had scouts at his games earlier this year and now it looks like there is real momentum to bring him. It looks like Monte had a plan after all, and he is probably bringing in a much better player than who we would have picked at 49. That is going to hurt the “narrative” some are trying to spin. Maybe, just maybe, Monte is a better GM than some want to admit…
What a thought! Some of the frequent members here would have you believe that this snake oil salesman con for his job and lie his way through his paycheck.

Personally I was fine with trading 49 for Vezenkov if he was going to come over. That trade follows clear logic. 37 for two future late 2nds, with talent on the board, not so much. I'm not even a Monte critic, but that trade was, and will continue to be, total ass.
Yeah, I'm as big a Monte fanboy on the board as there is, but he just randomly has bad deals (Delon Wright for TT?) that don't make any sense. I love Keon as a UDFA and Vezenkov coming over is really interesting, but why not have all those nice things WITH a nice prospect at 37?

Could have just been a straight up money thing too and us not wanting to risk having to cut an expiring like Len.

The 37th pick was a let down but I will withhold judgment until the roster is set. If they get what they need but not necessarily what as fans we want, okay. I also wonder if they are looking at those future picks as perhaps the "tokens" needed for trades in the future. He has expended more than a couple in that manner. That rule where all the parties have to "touch" in a transaction.