Kings trade 49th pick for rights to Sasha Vezenkov

-Kings have precisely the rookie minimum left of their MLE, could go to Sasha Vezenkov to give him a 3-4 year deal.

Why is the BAE not mentioned here?
Other than making a 3-4 year deal, only 1 mil MLE doesnt sound like it will get it done
Yeah, I agree. Seems presumptious to assume it's for Vezenkov.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
-Kings have precisely the rookie minimum left of their MLE, could go to Sasha Vezenkov to give him a 3-4 year deal.

Why is the BAE not mentioned here?
Other than making a 3-4 year deal, only 1 mil MLE doesnt sound like it will get it done
I had the same question. It turns out that the legend indicates teams with an asterisk do NOT have the BAE. We don't have the asterisk, so we DO have the BAE. Why the BAE is not included in "spending power" is beyond me, because obviously the BAE is spending power.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the same question. It turns out that the legend indicates teams with an asterisk do NOT have the BAE. We don't have the asterisk, so we DO have the BAE. Why the BAE is not included in "spending power" is beyond me, because obviously the BAE is spending power.
My same thought. I'm guessing the bit of the MLE that's left is to round out the roster with a 14th/15th man.

C Sabonis/Holmes/Len
PF Murray/Lyles/Metu
SF Barnes/Vezenkov/??
SG Huerter/Monk/Davis
PG Fox/Mitchell/??

Most of the guys listed as SF or PF are actually PFs IMO so bringing back a guy like Josh Jackson on a small deal makes a lot of sense. I also think Huerter essentially be the SF in 3 guard lineups fairly often. Then a minimum contract deal for a 3rd string PG to round out the roster with Ellis and Queta on two way deals.

My same thought. I'm guessing the bit of the MLE that's left is to round out the roster with a 14th/15th man.

C Sabonis/Holmes/Len
PF Murray/Lyles/Metu
SF Barnes/Vezenkov/??
SG Huerter/Monk/Davis
PG Fox/Mitchell/??

Most of the guys listed as SF or PF are actually PFs IMO so bringing back a guy like Josh Jackson on a small deal makes a lot of sense. I also think Huerter essentially be the SF in 3 guard lineups fairly often. Then a minimum contract deal for a 3rd string PG to round out the roster with Ellis and Queta on two way deals.
I don't see any world where he can play the three in the NBA. Kings are going to have both the SF and PF standing in either corner and praying to god Domas can get them the ball.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see any world where he can play the three in the NBA. Kings are going to have both the SF and PF standing in either corner and praying to god Domas can get them the ball.
Isn't that exactly what I said? The Kings currently don't have a single player that I would definitively say is a SF. That doesn't means as much in today's NBA as it did in years past, but it does point to a lack of athletic wings.

Isn't that exactly what I said? The Kings currently don't have a single player that I would definitively say is a SF. That doesn't means as much in today's NBA as it did in years past, but it does point to a lack of athletic wings.
I'm not rebutting you. Just don't see why he would be slotted in at the three spot. Right now, the only player capable of playing the 3 spot is Barnes.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not rebutting you. Just don't see why he would be slotted in at the three spot. Right now, the only player capable of playing the 3 spot is Barnes.
I think Barnes is better at the 4 than the three as well, but he and Murray will likely be the starting forwards so I guess HB is the SF by default.

I think the reality is that we'll see the starting five (Fox, Huerter, Barnes, Murray) and then a bench rotation of Mitchell, Holmes, Monk and either Davis or Lyles. Lots of three guard lineups I'm sure.

I think Barnes is better at the 4 than the three as well, but he and Murray will likely be the starting forwards so I guess HB is the SF by default.

I think the reality is that we'll see the starting five (Fox, Huerter, Barnes, Murray) and then a bench rotation of Mitchell, Holmes, Monk and either Davis or Lyles. Lots of three guard lineups I'm sure.
I think that’s right and the team may not have the ability to balance the roster until the trade deadline. But it’s starting to make more sense.

Realistically - the West is such a gauntlet that it’s probably another lotto season. But at least I have some hope of a watchable team that is building something.

They’ll probably just crush my spirit.

Vezenkov is a pf and played some small-ball c. He isn't a sf.

Would rather geriatric Iguadala, Watanabe, Rodney Hood, Admiral Schofield, or pretty much anyone as opposed to Josh Jackson.
Which is fine. I think Barnes/Murray/Huerter play the majority of minutes at the 3 and we'll get the occasional super small Fox/Davion/Monk type of LU's as well. I think Vezenkov would just kick T.Davis/Lyles down the depth chart and take those minutes.

Yea, Barnes is more of a 4. Going to be seeing a ton of 130 to 135 games next year.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I think that’s right and the team may not have the ability to balance the roster until the trade deadline. But it’s starting to make more sense.

Realistically - the West is such a gauntlet that it’s probably another lotto season. But at least I have some hope of a watchable team that is building something.

They’ll probably just crush my spirit.
That’s why you go in with zero expectations. I fully expect to still absolutely suck. Lmao

Except my “zero expectations” are we’re still going to be just “good” enough to have less lottery balls to get Victor.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
from reading the twitters while roaming around barcelona it appears that his new MVP status means his Greek club is prepared to give him a retention bonus/renegotiate his contract not to come. Thought it was a pretty straightforward buy out but I guess not. sounds like the ball is now in the Kings court to win him over but he won't be coming to Vegas to hear it and if Olympiacos offers even close to the BAE then we're hosed because presumably that is a) post tax and b) we still have to carve out part of the BAE to cover the buyout.

from reading the twitters while roaming around barcelona it appears that his new MVP status means his Greek club is prepared to give him a retention bonus/renegotiate his contract not to come. Thought it was a pretty straightforward buy out but I guess not. sounds like the ball is now in the Kings court to win him over but he won't be coming to Vegas to hear it and if Olympiacos offers even close to the BAE then we're hosed because presumably that is a) post tax and b) we still have to carve out part of the BAE to cover the buyout.
He’s our new Bodiroga

yeah.. I called this. I don't think we have enough money to entice him to come over this year. He'd only be making around 2 years $4million after taxes. His current contract is 2 years $1.8million after taxes. I also saw a floating rumor on Twitter was that he's getting $$$ incentive for winning MVP.

I'm also not sure why fans on Twitter are upset at him...

Not a fan of holding up the last roster position for a guy who more than likely won't even be an average rotational player even if he does come over. There were probably better ways to use the money/roster slot.
Well, seeing that you are the local European expert, I can't argue with you there.

yeah.. I called this. I don't think we have enough money to entice him to come over this year. He'd only be making around 2 years $4million after taxes. His current contract is 2 years $1.8million after taxes. I also saw a floating rumor on Twitter was that he's getting $$$ incentive for winning MVP.

I'm also not sure why fans on Twitter are upset at him...
Yeah good for him if true. It's not like he's the first player to use the Kings as leverage, lol. Honestly paying any more than that chunk of change Monte carved out wouldn't be worth it anyway. He's at best backing up at the 4 and they already have Lyles/Metu even though with Vezenkovs shooting ability that would have been yet another sniper to add to the list of options. Oh well.

Lack of reporting of any kind of interest from the Kings side means the info coming from Europe could just be his camp trying to get leverage in negotiations for a new contract. Seems like this was just another pick sale.