[Game] Kings @ Timberwolves 1/30/2023 5pm Pacific 8pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
So was I. I was unhappy that we let him walk.

Honestly speaking, I was a Bagley hopeful too for a long time. Kept thinking that while we obviously made the wrong pick, he could still turn out to be a good player. While Bagley deserved lot of blame, I did think that the FO/coaching staff could have put him in a better position to succeed, and fans should treat him for what he is, rather than the player we could/should have picked. He's proving me wrong in Detroit though.

Anyway, I inadvertently might have shifted the discussion to a different direction, which was not my aim. Just wanted to highlight that I'm happy with the way things turned out.
I was also angry with the Bagley pick but very hopeful during the first year it wouldn't matter and in years 2 and 3 that if he could stay healthy he'd put it together. I finally gave up on the eve of his last season with us when he demanded a trade. I thought we were more than fair with him as a franchise, and the fans that tried to embrace him.

I've been done with Metu for a while. I yell at the TV every time he flashes out to the 3 point line while one of his teammates rip a pass to him because he's wide open. There's a reason why he's wide open. Might as well just hand the other team the ball and go play defense.

Would much rather see Holmes out there, good or bad. He's the superior player and does everything better than Metu other than maybe catch an extra couple lobs per season. If Brown doesn't want to play Holmes, then go with Lyles like you said.
The problem with having Holmes out there is they're not utilizing his bread and butter play which is the push shot. I think nobody in the NBA does it better than him consistently making those push shots. When Haliburton was here, him and Holmes were clicking with pick n roll and push shots but the current Kings are not utilizing him for that skills for whatever reason. Another problem is he doesn't play defense.

The problem with having Holmes out there is they're not utilizing his bread and butter play which is the push shot. I think nobody in the NBA does it better than him consistently making those push shots. When Haliburton was here, him and Holmes were clicking with pick n roll and push shots but the current Kings are not utilizing him for that skills for whatever reason. Another problem is he doesn't play defense.
Well Fox isn’t really a pick and roll guard and he needs to be in the same spot as Richaun. Monk is probably the best guard paired with Richaun.

Your two multi-paragraph posts would suggest otherwise?

You can start with me. I plan on complaining about any or all things that negatively impact the outcome of a game. It’s kinda fun.
Yeah. If he puts everyone who complains about the refs on ignore, he will very quickly be having a conversation with himself.

Monk is excellent in the pick and roll. I think he and Holmes would have a lot of success together if given the minutes.

Holmes is no defensive stopper but he's better than Metu and is by far the best big man perimeter defender on the team. Metu is absolutely atrocious the second he has to move his feet outside the paint.

I like Ozy a lot and he's a pretty reasoned analyst on most of basketball, but damn is he wrong here. The Kings aren't the Bucks/Celtics/DEN where we can just run over teams by 8-10 every game. We've far exceeded all expectations this season and we likely end up around 45-47 wins. Good, but not contender status. So we're going to play in a ton of close games, especially as we learn to win as a franchise and not give up dumb mistakes that lets teams back in. And likewise, we've been the most screwed team in the NBA by the refs this season.

It doesn't excuse McDaniels being that wide open. Horrible defensive rotation by the Kings. But that also doesn't mean we just excuse the refs to miss that call and let the game go into OT. And to your point, it's pathetic how differently guys like Ja/LeBron/Zion/Luka get called over Fox and Sabonis. LeBron would have had a heart-attack by now he get reffed the same way Sabonis does with all the contact he absorbs at the rim.

I'm not asking for perfect reffing. I'm asking for us not to be freaking 13-23 in terms of getting "favorable" calls at the end of games. We aren't a good enough team to be overcoming those mistakes in clutch situations over and over and over again.
That McDaniels wide open 3 was all on Fox. Watch the play and you'll be scratching your head at what the hell Fox was doing there.

That whole collapse at the end of the 4th was basically on Fox. He's been clutch but he's also missed a lot of shots at the end of games as of late as well. He needs to remember that he has teammates on the floor in crunch time.

Status
Not open for further replies.