Kings Summer League Roster/UFA Signing Thread

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
between Stephens and Slawson this has gotta be the first time an NBA team has offered a contract to multiple SOCON players in the same year probably ever, right?

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
There's 3 2-way spots now right?

I assume Keon keeps one. Queta is either gone or gets a contract with the NBA team.
Looks like Stephens is only an exhibit 10 (the contract with a bonus that gets a player locked into our development system)
Gonna assume Mutts is as well.

Keon probably is getting one of the 2-ways unless he really flashes and forces his way on the roster
same with Slawson

I’m guessing Colby just ends up on the main roster.

There's 3 2-way spots now right?

I assume Keon keeps one. Queta is either gone or gets a contract with the NBA team.
EDIT: Tetsujin corrected me! There's 3 spots

Just 2 spots.

We made Queta sign a 2-way when he was picked #39. I don't think we'll do that with Colby Jones because we traded up for him. This makes me think that the FO might hold him to a higher regard than Queta a couple years ago.

I think Slawson easily takes up the first 2-way spot. I'm guessing the second spot is down to Keon or someone else. Not sure that Keon is a lock for this team. I don't think he showed very much last year, and he seems like an undersized SG.

Queta is probably looking at a regular minimum contract if we decide to bring him back.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Just 2 spots.

We made Queta sign a 2-way when he was picked #39. I don't think we'll do that with Colby Jones because we traded up for him. This makes me think that the FO might hold him to a higher regard than Queta a couple years ago.

I think Slawson easily takes up the first 2-way spot. I'm guessing the second spot is down to Keon or someone else. Not sure that Keon is a lock for this team. I don't think he showed very much last year, and he seems like an undersized SG.

Queta is probably looking at a regular minimum contract if we decide to bring him back.
The great thing is that we have three two-ways to work with now so there’s really no pressure to figure it out until after summer league

The great thing is that we have three two-ways to work with now so there’s really no pressure to figure it out until after summer league
Oh wow that's actually awesome. I didn't know it was part of the new CBA. This means even more opportunities to add young talent without affecting our typical rotation roster.

It'll be exciting to see who we'll sign with the 2-ways.

EDIT: Tetsujin corrected me! There's 3 spots

Just 2 spots.

Yeah the interesting part this season is we have a ton of roster slots to fill on the main team, unlike last year.

Fox || Davion
Huerter || Monk
Keegan
Sabonis

are the only guaranteed contracts we have on the books right now. I think it's fair to assume Kessler is coming back and that Jones will be with the main team and fill the TD role. And it very much seems like Vezenkov is coming, but that still only puts us at 8 players for the upcoming year:

And it depends on what we do in FA if we go after 1 big fish or a couple smaller fish, but say we walk out with like Hart/Reid/Lyles. That still only puts us at 11. So it seems pretty likely Queta makes the team and that either Slawson or Ellis will need to fill out the end of the bench. I doubt we'll go sign 4 vet min guys to fill out the bench.

Here’s the undrafted center we all were expecting the Kings to bring in for summer league
He seems like an interesting prospect. A 7 footer with a 7'10" wingspan, shoots 40% from 3, and 80% from the line is pretty ridiculous. He's also a good passer, and blocks shots. The biggest problem is that his shoes are made of cement. He could make for an interesting bench player if his skills translate.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't know anything about him other than pics and what's posted and I suspect he'll never sniff the big team but about what I wanted with bringing Tubelis in as an undrafted FA except a little bigger (and probably slower with less chance to make the club, but is what it is).

Very cool. Stephens by far the most significant signing so far, this is exciting news! This is almost like we got a 3rd player in the draft. Worse players than Jake Stephens have been selected in the 50's of many drafts, for sure.

He could definitely be the guy they plug in at C in Stockton to fill Queta's shoes. His footage is sure fun to watch.. He's plenty skilled the ball splashes thru the net when he shoots it, he's definitely quite strong and the arms sure are long which would look nice on our roster. He's kind of a mean looking fella as well, sorta has that "country strength" look to him. I hope he crushes it in Stockton and the SL.

The great thing about the G-League is really it takes away a good bit of the mystery of "will he make the big team" because really thats secondary, let him succeed in the G-League first and the answer to will he make it becomes clear.

Plus in the case of Stephens, he might not currently be at the weight the Kings would want him at ideally... So he obviously can work on that with time.. I'd guess he's about 270 right now, would he look a lot less lumbering at 255? When I look at him I cant help but think if he was really super lean he'd still be quite strong.

Last edited:
https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/the-prospect-overview-jake-stephens

Article on Jake Stephens, who both passes like a guard and shoots like one too but moves like you’d expect a guy who’s got a 7’10” wingspan to
dude is in the wrong sport.

He is literally a 6” supersized version of my son who is a 2 time Olympian in water polo. If he can swim at all he should be playing water polo not basketball. Water Polo is basically hoops for guys whose best track event is the 400-800 versus the 100 or 40.

hopefully while he is in Stockton he talks with James Graham who is the UOP water polo coach.

Jake Stephens is like the type of Center everyone was making in those 2k basketball games last time I saw them years ago, these 7-footers who are strong as hell but shoot it with a feathery touch from deep and also have crazy long arms n block shots n grab boards.

I think fans are going to be pleasantly surprised by Jones’ hidden PG abilities. I don’t think that’s the role he ends up with in the NBA, but I wonder if we’ll try to run him at PG for the California Classic just to see how he’ll do?

Looking at the highlights for Jake Stephens, and knowing that the percentages bear out his proficiency in shooting, passing, and blocking shots, I am more excited about this prospect than I am about the actual draftees. He would make a great understudy for Sabonis. Also, he has a reasonable jump for a 7' guy. If Fox has a chance to play with him a little this summer, he would have a lot better insight than I do or even Monte McNair. That is how Austin Reaves made it onto the Lakers--on the say-so of LeBron James.

Looking at the highlights for Jake Stephens, and knowing that the percentages bear out his proficiency in shooting, passing, and blocking shots, I am more excited about this prospect than I am about the actual draftees. He would make a great understudy for Sabonis. Also, he has a reasonable jump for a 7' guy. If Fox has a chance to play with him a little this summer, he would have a lot better insight than I do or even Monte McNair. That is how Austin Reaves made it onto the Lakers--on the say-so of LeBron James.
Yeah he's very interesting. Slow as all heck but size and skill are so valuable when combined these days.

I think fans are going to be pleasantly surprised by Jones’ hidden PG abilities. I don’t think that’s the role he ends up with in the NBA, but I wonder if we’ll try to run him at PG for the California Classic just to see how he’ll do?
I know Keon was getting some burn at PG in the G-League last year too. Should be fun to see his growth as well

Hmm. I won't be so quick to dismiss. Depends on how much money we have, and how much we are left with once we target our "big" fish.

He plays a position of need, and played above the value of his contract last year. The challenge will of course be "how much will he cost"? We might be looking for a player in his salary range in a week's time.

While everyone knows this, important to reiterate, that our forward/center rotation was the following last year
Domas
Barnes
Keegan
Len
Lyles
Metu
Holmes

Hope I haven't missed anyone. I didn't include Neemias, since he spent most of the time at Stockton.

Most of these guys played significant minutes last year. Even Holmes showed up for some games when he got a chance.

Of these 7 guys, we currently have only 2 under contract. We hope to get Sasha, and also hope that Neemias is ready for the big league, but we are banking on two unproven guys.

We can bring back some of the above guys by not releasing their cap hold, and going over the cap after we have our FAs, as some smart folks suggested. Even then, we are looking to fill two spots with our space. If after the cap holds/QO and extending Domas, we are left with around 25 M, we will have to add a cheap FA (no point holding on to it for the season, since once we sign Lyles (and maybe even Metu), we will lose it anyway. So, it's use it or lose scenario.

Hmm. I won't be so quick to dismiss. Depends on how much money we have, and how much we are left with once we target our "big" fish.

He plays a position of need, and played above the value of his contract last year. The challenge will of course be "how much will he cost"? We might be looking for a player in his salary range in a week's time.

While everyone knows this, important to reiterate, that our forward/center rotation was the following last year
Domas
Barnes
Keegan
Len
Lyles
Metu
Holmes

Hope I haven't missed anyone. I didn't include Neemias, since he spent most of the time at Stockton.

Most of these guys played significant minutes last year. Even Holmes showed up for some games when he got a chance.

Of these 7 guys, we currently have only 2 under contract. We hope to get Sasha, and also hope that Neemias is ready for the big league, but we are banking on two unproven guys.

We can bring back some of the above guys by not releasing their cap hold, and going over the cap after we have our FAs, as some smart folks suggested. Even then, we are looking to fill two spots with our space. If after the cap holds/QO and extending Domas, we are left with around 25 M, we will have to add a cheap FA (no point holding on to it for the season, since once we sign Lyles (and maybe even Metu), we will lose it anyway. So, it's use it or lose scenario.
Wait a minute, he was talking about DDV right? DDV would be behind, Fox, Monk, Davion, and Huerter at this point. If TD didn't play last year, DDV isn't unless someone on that list is hurt or playing so bad they get kicked from the rotation. It's better to have Jones as that 5th guy. He's not real young, he can play now, and do some of the same basic things. 5th G is just depth in the end.