Kings still lack primary leader

This is an excellent article.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12858402p-13707820c.html

Kings still lack primary leader
The team currently has no one willing - or able - to take over that role.

By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Sunday, May 8, 2005

The method, if you're a professional athlete, wasn't politically correct.

Chris Webber, so angry and upset after another disappointing end to a championship-less season, used the media as the messenger of his frustrations after the Kings' 2003-04 campaign ended with a second-round playoff loss to Minnesota.

There were changes that needed to be made, he said, pressing problems of attitude and action that needed to be addressed, and he touched on them all in a lengthy interview with The Bee.

Whether fans and pundits agreed, no one could argue Webber was taking the title of leader upon himself. This squad, Webber was saying, is "going to take my tone."

Translation: It's my team.

A year later, and the Kings still have an opening for the job Webber once held. Point guard Mike Bibby wants the ball for the big shots, but there are mice that make more noise than he does on most days. Center Brad Miller has never been comfortable as the go-to guy, preferring to play second fiddle and not the type to shake his fist at others. And forward Peja Stojakovic likes the leadership-by-committee approach, reiterating as much after the Kings' latest season ended Tuesday with a five-game, first-round loss to Seattle.

All good guys, no one willing to play the bad guy, a role Hall of Famer Rick Barry once knew well. Nearly 30 years after his Golden State Warriors won the franchise's only title in Oakland, Barry still is being criticized for his basketball bedside manner.

On a recent one-on-one interview segment dubbed "Hot Seat" on ESPN, broadcaster Matt Winer relentlessly grilled Barry on his leadership tactics as a player. Barry kept his cool, answering question after question while Winer seemed desperate to incite a reaction. Barry could have ended the discussion by flashing his title ring at the camera, making the only statement that truly matters in the world of the NBA.

"It helps to have somebody who's willing to be a leader, that one guy to step up and make guys be accountable," said Barry, the former forward who hosts a daily radio sports talk show on San Francisco's KNBR.

"Ideally, one is great," Barry said. "More than one, and you might have a problem. I got vilified for being the type of (vocal) player I was, yet everyone praises (Lakers great) Magic (Johnson) and (Boston legend) Larry (Bird) for doing that. You need to have somebody in that role."

The kink in the logic comes with the reigning champion Detroit Pistons. Among starters Richard Hamilton, Chauncey Billups, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace and Tayshaun Prince, the leadership duties are as balanced as the team itself. They are collectively cohesive, even without having one distinct floor foreman.

"It's a unit mind-set," Pistons guard Lindsay Hunter said. "I think collectively is where we've got everybody beat. We hold each other accountable. If a guy doesn't do what he's supposed to do, a teammate will come up to him and be like, 'C'mon man, what are you doing?' That makes a difference."

It's the sort of chemistry the Kings didn't have time to create. With Doug Christie dispatched to Orlando in January and Webber traded to Philadelphia in February, the team that once had near-telepathic abilities entered new territory.

Guard Cuttino Mobley came in with a background in a two-man game much different than the five-man offensive system of Kings coach Rick Adelman.

Former 76ers Kenny Thomas, Corliss Williamson and Brian Skinner simply couldn't replicate the Vlade Divac factor, which some believe loomed larger than that of Webber both on the floor and in the locker room.

"I had different communication on the court with Doug and Vlade and Chris," Stojakovic said Friday. "I'd been with those guys for five years, and all you needed was eye contact. Everything will take time to get better and some practicing time."

For now, the new world order will be ruled by a three-headed King of Bibby, Miller and Stojakovic. Although Mobley showed flashes of being the vocal one, he might not return next season. He could exercise his player option and return for $6.3 million or test free agency for more. So Stojakovic said the role will be shared among the familiar faces.

"I think a team around me, Mike and Brad can be built," he said. "I like the team. I think that next (season), if we stay together from the beginning to the end, stay healthy and work on our game, we can be pretty good. I think we have good talent here. And at the end of the day, the team that wins is going to get the recognition. That's what I believe."

As does Miller. But ironically, Miller's first item on his offseason to-do list was to get stronger and more fit to take on the league's more muscular centers.

That was Webber's advice in his infamous rant, when he said of anonymous Kings big men, "There's no way you're a big man and I've never seen you touch a weight. It's no way ... and you've got to check (Shaquille O'Neal). It's no way. It's just preparation."

Suddenly, Miller is the one sending the messages. "We've got to lead by example," Miller said of himself, Bibby and Stojakovic. "We also have to kick guys in the (butt), kick ourselves in the (butt). If we want to do it like this, us three have to be much more accountable for ourselves, especially over the summer and getting ready for next year."

Edited to include title of article and name of writer. VF21

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Good article but I'm not sure Brad, Mike or Peja can assume the leadership role, even as a triad.

Mike clearly doesn't enjoy it; Brad is too pouty at times to pull it off; and Peja just isn't assertive enough.

It's going to be interesting...

I actually think that Bibby can do it. He showed flashes of it last year. I do not believe that he began the season thinking that he would need to be the leader. Now he knows that it will be up to him. I expect him to take it upon himself even more next season to prove that he can be and is a strong leader. I also wouldn't mind a "triad" leadership of Peja, Mike, and Brad if it means they each decide to have a stronger and more consistent play and attitude on the court.

Why? We have good, solid players capable of being great. We need to surround them with better role players and we will have a much better season. Do not give up on next year before it begins.

AleksandarN said:
As does Miller. But ironically, Miller's first item on his offseason to-do list was to get stronger and more fit to take on the league's more muscular centers.

That was Webber's advice in his infamous rant, when he said of anonymous Kings big men, "There's no way you're a big man and I've never seen you touch a weight. It's no way ... and you've got to check (Shaquille O'Neal). It's no way. It's just preparation."

Suddenly, Miller is the one sending the messages. "We've got to lead by example," Miller said of himself, Bibby and Stojakovic. "We also have to kick guys in the (butt), kick ourselves in the (butt). If we want to do it like this, us three have to be much more accountable for ourselves, especially over the summer and getting ready for next year."
::scoffs::

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
chelle said:
Why? We have good, solid players capable of being great.
we have good solid players in the middle of their careers that are capable of being....good solid players. And that is a problem. Or not. Depends on what you are trying to achieve. If we want to win 50 every year, be a little soft, and never matter in the least, we've got the talent base for it. We could be "good" and nothing more for years if we want to. All we have to do is sit on our hands.

But now if we are trying to return to elite status, to get back to being a team that is feared and ha a real shot at a title, gonna take a serious overhaul.

We don't have an elite player right now. One may become one on the team but as far as this past season we didn't really have one.

I agree that we do need some major changes and upgrades, but a complete overhaul scares me. I think that we had major changes this season with not having Vlade, Doug, and Chris. We lost them, in my opinion, without getting much in return. I know the players we got are quality players, but they were not improvements over what we had. That is why I think those decisions were made for the future. I think most people agree with that. I hope that the future means within the next 2 seasons. I really believe that we can build around Bibby, Peja, and Miller. Bibby is a top tier PG whose weakness, obviously is defense. With dedicated work, this can improve. Peja is one of the best shooters in the league who will bounce back from a subpar season for him and he sounds as if he wants to stay. Miller is one of the better Big Men in the league. If he does what he said he would do this summer, many of my complaints about him will be solved. He got to where he is with hard work. He can use that ethic to improve again. A lot of "ifs" I know, but I think that if we were get rid of them, we would be taking a step backwards that will take us a LONG time to recover. As a TEAM, we have the makings of greatness. We just need a few more ingredients in the pot. I do not want us to throw it all out and have to start over. I DO NOT want us to return to the Pre Vlade-Webber era, or even to "Baby Bull" status. Hopefully, Petrie can amaze us all again to make sure we go forward without having to go back there again.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We do not have a warrior - someone who will step up when he's needed and virtually carry the team on his back, if necessary, and exort them to get the job done. Bibby was put into the role by the media but it was clearly not a role he was comfortable with. He would love to be the one to take the last shot, but he doesn't want to be the one to have to tell everyone else to do what they're supposed to do.

Doug Christie was a warrior. He led by example more than words. He gave everything he could every single night and guys wanted to do better because he was out there.

Chris Webber was a warrior. He gave all he could AND, even though it exploded on him, he tried to get his teammates to do the same.

We need to find our Warrior King.

VF21 said:
We do not have a warrior - someone who will step up when he's needed and virtually carry the team on his back, if necessary, and exort them to get the job done. Bibby was put into the role by the media but it was clearly not a role he was comfortable with. He would love to be the one to take the last shot, but he doesn't want to be the one to have to tell everyone else to do what they're supposed to do.

Doug Christie was a warrior. He led by example more than words. He gave everything he could every single night and guys wanted to do better because he was out there.

Chris Webber was a warrior. He gave all he could AND, even though it exploded on him, he tried to get his teammates to do the same.

We need to find our Warrior King.
Unfortunately, those type of players are few and far between....

I think the question of who will lead the Kings is the most important one if you have championship asperations for this team. Divac, Webber and Christie all seemed to have more leadership abilities than any of the current core players. They were far from perfect, but they were there and did their best to fill that role.

Now, Bibby, Stojakovic and Miller want to be a three-headed leadership monster. That certainly might work, but it will be more difficult to sustain throughout the grind of the long playoffs. They each have pride and don't give up easily when challenged, but it is difficult to keep that spirit going, and I'm not sure even the three of them combined have enough to carry the team through tough times in the future.

I also don't know who else is out there that could realistically be brought to the team to provide that primary leadership. This is one of the main reasons I'm still skeptical of the Kings championship chances for the next couple seasons. Where are they going to find the personality or personalities to carry them through the hard times?

The core of Bibby, Peja, and Miller does not equal a title contender. Good core but too similar and unathletic to contend.

It's going to take some serious moves this off season to postion the Kings too contend for a title.

G_M said:
The core of Bibby, Peja, and Miller does not equal a title contender. Good core but too similar and unathletic to contend.

It's going to take some serious moves this off season to postion the Kings too contend for a title.
yup!

Presuming that Peja, Brad and Bibby are here next year (I know-big assumption), if you want to bring in a "leader", its going to have to be someone those three respect enough to let him take over the team right away. That probably narrows the choices too.