Kings sign Dedmon 3 years 40 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
WCS was ranked 23rd in RPG at 8.4 in 27 mins per game. Dedmon has not hit that number in his 6 seasons in the NBA. part of that is minutes played, but I dont see an increase in his minutes. the most that could have been expected is same-ish rebounding.
Some of that was Collins last year. But I'm talking more defensive rebounds, also keep in mind Dedmon, at least last year, played a lot of time extending the floor or away from the basket offensively.

Willie’s shortcomings are real and well documented.

That said, I’d take him back over Dedmon in a second.
lol, wasnt there one of those treads where I (and a few other posters) was defending WCS from everyone, and I said that I give everyone a month, and especially you, to turn on the new center? i guess a month was too long :)

Some of that was Collins last year. But I'm talking more defensive rebounds, also keep in mind Dedmon, at least last year, played a lot of time extending the floor or away from the basket offensively.
that is true. but WCS also spent a lot of time defending the perimeter and was ranked better in defensive boards. but yeah its hard to compare different situations and different playing times, it just looks to me like WCS is a better rebounder.

that is true. but WCS also spent a lot of time defending the perimeter and was ranked better in defensive boards. but yeah its hard to compare different situations and different playing times, it just looks to me like WCS is a better rebounder.
Last year Dedmon had a 1.3% higher chance to grab a board defensively.

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/stats...&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0&opp=0

WCS 1.5% better offensively.

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/stats...&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0&opp=0

But you brought up a good point about WCS being away from the basket.

But I was expecting Dedmon to be a better defensive rebounder, not but much, but noticeable.

Last year Dedmon had a 1.3% higher chance to grab a board defensively.

WCS 1.5% better offensively.

But you brought up a good point about WCS being away from the basket.

But I was expecting Dedmon to be a better defensive rebounder, not but much, but noticeable.
it should be close. for the team to rebound better I think we need to get more solid defensively. a lot of times we are out of position as our defence has been broken down. as this improves the individual numbers should go up too.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Apart from the turnovers, Dedmon has basically been as expected. The problem is that people here didn't actually watch him play and assumed he is an athletic, shot-blocking big who can shoot it. What he is, is a long, sub-par athlete who can block a shot a game with his length. He can knock down the 3 but won't give you anything more than "average" in all other parts of the game. People expecting him to be a big upgrade on Willie were always misguided.

The horrendous passing hasn't been a pleasant addition however.
Fair comment.

I think Dedmon will be fine. His role just needs to be defined to the skills he has. He is not Vlade Divac, Brad Miller or Jokic. He can finish around the hoop when set up, can shoot a nice jumper, block shots and defend the paint. He can easily average 10 points and 7 boards while defending the other teams center and the rim/paint.

The Kings have played badly these first 3 games AS A TEAM. The Coaches and Players all need to own it and pledge to improve. It can't all be put on one man.

I mean I had the Kings winning 34-36 games this year. The numbers showed their win total last year was better than what the projection would have been. Then you bake in the fact that we got a completely new coach. This stuff takes time. Does it mean it’s any less frustrating? No, I yell at my TV while in the midst of the game, but I’m going to hold off on jumping off the bridge until they get those 10-20 games under their belt.

Dedmon hasn’t showed well thus far but like a lot have mentioned, it does look like he’s not being utilized correctly in the offense. Hopefully that changes soon. Perhaps there is some “Dedmon to LAL” deal that makes sense if he’s not working out for us considering he’d fit well next to LeBron and Davis since Davis is hellbent on trying to avoid playing C when he can.

I think Dedmon will be fine. His role just needs to be defined to the skills he has. He is not Vlade Divac, Brad Miller or Jokic. He can finish around the hoop when set up, can shoot a nice jumper, block shots and defend the paint. He can easily average 10 points and 7 boards while defending the other teams center and the rim/paint.

The Kings have played badly these first 3 games AS A TEAM. The Coaches and Players all need to own it and pledge to improve. It can't all be put on one man.
Thing is, he's not being used like a passing big man. He can't even swing the ball to wide open guys around the perimeter. I can't even be mad at Walton about this because the passes Dedmon keeps throwing into the stands are standard passes that any G Leaguer should be able to make in his sleep.

Thing is, he's not being used like a passing big man. He can't even swing the ball to wide open guys around the perimeter. I can't even be mad at Walton about this because the passes Dedmon keeps throwing into the stands are standard passes that any G Leaguer should be able to make in his sleep.
I need to watch a couple more games before I agree Dedmon can't make basic passes. In the highlight video I linked he does stick with handoffs and two hand passes.

Dedmon will be fine as long as Walton realizes that he can't initiate the offense from the high post with Dedmon. Dedmon is a very limited passer on offense.

Dedmon should be either camped out on his favorite 3 point spot or posted deep down low to rebound or get a put back while on offense. Using Dedmon as a high post initiator is just plain lunacy.

If Walton can figure that out ASAP, then Dedmon may have a chance to stick in the lineup. Trying to change Dedmon into Vlade, Brad Miller or DMC, is going to make the team just plain bad.

Last edited:
I need to watch a couple more games before I agree Dedmon can't make basic passes. In the highlight video I linked he does stick with handoffs and two hand passes.
I mean obviously he wouldn't even be in the league if he couldn't complete the passes he's flubbed badly so far this season but there's something going on with him. Looks like the yips to me. Curious to see if it continues to happen going forward.

I mean obviously he wouldn't even be in the league if he couldn't complete the passes he's flubbed badly so far this season but there's something going on with him. Looks like the yips to me. Curious to see if it continues to happen going forward.
I think he is being asked to do a lot more than what he was accustomed to do in Atlanta and San Antonio. You can tell he is just not comfortable out there. He's overthinking every move.

Walton seems to be asking him to initiate the high post offense and he simply can't. He is a catch and shoot 3 point guy or a put back and rebound guy on offense.

To me, Walton needs to figure out what the strengths and weaknesses of his players are ASAP and put them in a position to succeed. Until that happens, I think the whole team will just feel and look lost.

I think he is being asked to do a lot more than what he was accustomed to do in Atlanta and San Antonio. You can tell he is just not comfortable out there. He's overthinking every move.

Walton seems to be asking him to initiate the high post offense and he simply can't. He is a catch and shoot 3 point guy or a put back and rebound guy on offense.

To me, Walton needs to figure out what the strengths and weaknesses of his players are ASAP and put them in a position to succeed. Until that happens, I think the whole team will just feel and look lost.
They aren't even running a high post offense. Dedmon is just the trailer and when Fox can't drive, he kicks it out to Dedmon for a 3. If Dedmon is covered, his job is to just give the ball back to Fox or Hield on the perimeter. Those are the passes that he's screwing up that are inexcusable.

Dedmond should probably just stand in the corner on offense and set screens. Thats it. He shouldnt have ball on his hand trying to hit backdoor passes to cutters. He cannot and should not try to read the defense with the ball in his hands. Shoot the open three, finnish at the rim and play solid defense.
This is exactly how he should be being used....set screens either on ball or off ball toward perimeter and then set up for 3s....and the kings players need to hit him with the pass when he is open. I want to see Dedmon taking 10 or even 15 3s a game if he is hitting in the upper 30s %. When defenses honor his shot that will make him worth the contract he signed....if he is under 35% though on his s 3s then he is a complete bust though

Willie’s shortcomings are real and well documented.

That said, I’d take him back over Dedmon in a second.
If Willie would have been willing to take a low dollar contract with the kings and ok with whatever role he was assigned i would have love to keep him under 10 mil per year....unfortunately, it seems he was in no way open to that and would rather go to a new team if money was going to be low

I felt the backup role was perfect for him and we should have kept him for the qualifying offer unless he would be a lockerroom cancer

I’m wondering if we should just camp Dedmon in the corner on offense and use Bagley and Holmes in the PnR and Bjelica in the PnP.

Dedmon is way better from the corner than above the break from three. He shot 39.1% from the corner in 2017-18 and 42.6% from the corner last year (he’s 1 for 1 this year from the corner too ;) ). Compared to 35.8% last year when above the break.

Putting him in the corner on offense also removes the need for him to make a smart play if the defense rotated to him out of a pick and roll. I’d rather have Bagley, Bjelica, Giles, or Holmes making that decision out of a PnR.

I think we all see Holmes ability to finish as a lob threat and we hope that Bagley can someday be just as effective. Dedmon seems a bit limited vertically.

As for the PnP, Bjelica is much better shooting above the break (above 40%) and is a much better passer if the defense shifts to him.

Putting Dedmon in the corner allows him to take his favorite shot with his feet set with really easy decisions: shoot it, swing it up top, or make a straight line drive to the hoop.

Dedmon looks overwhelmed in the PnR when he doesn’t have an open shot upon catching the ball.

Dedmon needs to spend some more time watching Holmes and his level of effort.
Last night against Denver Richaun did everything right.
Dedmon can either get busy and start playing much harder, or get comfortable on the bench watching Holmes.

Dedmon needs to spend some more time watching Holmes and his level of effort.
Last night against Denver Richaun did everything right.
Dedmon can either get busy and start playing much harder, or get comfortable on the bench watching Holmes.
I actually think Dedmon has been playing hard. He is always battling multiple players alone for rebounds. He's vocal, hustles and contests, second only to Holmes so far.
He's just not playing smart, making dumb fouls and passes.

I do not know if I overestimated him, I really don't know him and I was excited by him joining the team simply because so many talked enthusiastically about him throughout the previous season as a good target and good fit. Obviously that "good fit" has yet to be the case. I doubt he winds up being worthless, but it's certainly frustrating. I also imagine that WCS would continue to frustrate many folks had we just kept him and not signed Dedmon.

The Pacers are also winless, so I'm wondering how much the India trip may have taken out of preseason adjustments for each team. We obviously had a lot to deal with, not just Dedmon but the coaching change and other players including Holmes finding their spots. Not to mention an early injury to Bagley.

Anything to get some positive momentum going will be welcome by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.