Kings sign Dedmon 3 years 40 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is he not rolling and setting up at the 3pt line after a pick???? That is the whole reason he was brought in was to be a threat from outside. Yesterday he looked to have NO confidence.

He'll turn it around. He's been too solid for too long to suddenly forget how to play basketball the moment he signs with us.

On a sidenote, we are the #KANGZ and it would be on brand for us to sign a previously good player and then have him forget how to play basketball.
Lets not even talk statistics here. In the past when the Kings have played against Dedmon, have you ever been impressed by his play? Has he ever stood out to you in any manner other than his 3pt% on his stats page? I can't ever recall the Kings going up against Dedmon and me thinking that they need to get crafty around the basket or step up their pick and roll defense or anything like that. It's basically just been ok this guy is a fringe starter that isn't really good at anything other than having a solid 3pt% for a couple years. When the Kings have rolled into town playing against Dedmon at the 5, I've always thought alright tonight is a good night for the Kings to feast at the basket.

It's only been 2 games so obviously we have to give it more time but even if he had been making his 3s the last couple games, I still don't think they outweigh the poor defense he's been playing. Lots and lots and lots of wide open 13ft jumpers have been given up in pick and roll situations. It could potentially be Walton's defense but I don't like what I've seen out of Dedmon so far and the fact that he's never impressed me once in any of the games I've seen him play tells me that he may wind up looking like Dewayne Dedmoney by the end of his contract here.

Lets not even talk statistics here. In the past when the Kings have played against Dedmon, have you ever been impressed by his play? Has he ever stood out to you in any manner other than his 3pt% on his stats page? I can't ever recall the Kings going up against Dedmon and me thinking that they need to get crafty around the basket or step up their pick and roll defense or anything like that. It's basically just been ok this guy is a fringe starter that isn't really good at anything other than having a solid 3pt% for a couple years. When the Kings have rolled into town playing against Dedmon at the 5, I've always thought alright tonight is a good night for the Kings to feast at the basket.

It's only been 2 games so obviously we have to give it more time but even if he had been making his 3s the last couple games, I still don't think they outweigh the poor defense he's been playing. Lots and lots and lots of wide open 13ft jumpers have been given up in pick and roll situations. It could potentially be Walton's defense but I don't like what I've seen out of Dedmon so far and the fact that he's never impressed me once in any of the games I've seen him play tells me that he may wind up looking like Dewayne Dedmoney by the end of his contract here.
I was impressed with Dedmon when he was with the Spurs and in the ATL. Sort of in a "Who is this guy" way, since he came in with little fanfare due to his late start playing ball.

This team has new Coaches and some new Players. Did anyone really expect a team to Gel in day one. Since we are dealing with Veterans I expect to see the Team begin to come together after 10 to 20 games together. Although in truth it really takes a season or two.

Dedmon was playing for Atlanta last season - one of the worst teams in the league on the pretty week eastern conference. And he was only able to achieve numbers similar to Bjelica’s numbers here.
Having said that, unless he dramatically improved his game this summer, I don’t see how could he put bigger numbers playing on a stronger team against much stronger opponents.
I hope I’m wrong, otherwise we’ll be seeing Bagley playing at C and Giles and Beli sharing minutes at PF soon enough

Apart from the turnovers, Dedmon has basically been as expected. The problem is that people here didn't actually watch him play and assumed he is an athletic, shot-blocking big who can shoot it. What he is, is a long, sub-par athlete who can block a shot a game with his length. He can knock down the 3 but won't give you anything more than "average" in all other parts of the game. People expecting him to be a big upgrade on Willie were always misguided.

The horrendous passing hasn't been a pleasant addition however.

Dedmon not being a very good passer apparently was hidden by Pop and Budeholzer. Dedmon has no assists to speak of in his past stats. Even Willie averaged 2.4 assists last season.

So what is Walton going to do? Limit Dedmon to hand offs and two hand chest passes?

What Dedmon CAN do is protect the rim and defend the paint. He can also shoot the open 3. So Walton and Company better game plan for a 5 who can do what Dedmon CAN do.

Dedmon getting so overpaid is a huge problem, IMO. It made sense on paper. But, on the court, he is just absolutely awful and clearly inferior to Willie’s production. As enigmatic as Willie was for the fans, the players loved him. Willie is a cool, chill dude. He’s really fun to hang out with. He wants to make a lot of money in basketball, and has some oddball quotes, but he’s really fun to play with. It’s so cool when your big man runs the floor and crushes a lob on the other team.

Now, these guys are looking at Dedmon and wondering how we couldn’t pay WCS even half of Dedmon’s money to keep WCS and keep the squad together. Dedmon is no fun to play with. He’s a stiff that has to be absolutely catered to in order to have any production. Dedmon needs to be benched immediately, and traded ASAP.

Dedmond should probably just stand in the corner on offense and set screens. Thats it. He shouldnt have ball on his hand trying to hit backdoor passes to cutters. He cannot and should not try to read the defense with the ball in his hands. Shoot the open three, finnish at the rim and play solid defense.

If this were January I would be concerned. If Bagley and Giles were healthy, he wouldn't be playing nearly as much. It is way too soon to make any judgements. He's only played 3 games with his new team. If anyone already thinks his fate with team is already settled, you're getting your facts from social media rather than reality.

Dedmond should probably just stand in the corner on offense and set screens. Thats it. He shouldnt have ball on his hand trying to hit backdoor passes to cutters. He cannot and should not try to read the defense with the ball in his hands. Shoot the open three, finnish at the rim and play solid defense.
Right, that’s a backup 5. Fifteen to twenty minutes a night.

If this were January I would be concerned. If Bagley and Giles were healthy, he wouldn't be playing nearly as much. It is way too soon to make any judgements. He's only played 3 games with his new team. If anyone already thinks his fate with team is already settled, you're getting your facts from social media rather than reality.
It was settled in training camp—we, as fans, are only getting to see it now. Dedmon is awful and incapable of playing with the rest of this team.

Dedmon getting so overpaid is a huge problem, IMO. It made sense on paper. But, on the court, he is just absolutely awful and clearly inferior to Willie’s production. As enigmatic as Willie was for the fans, the players loved him. Willie is a cool, chill dude. He’s really fun to hang out with. He wants to make a lot of money in basketball, and has some oddball quotes, but he’s really fun to play with. It’s so cool when your big man runs the floor and crushes a lob on the other team.

Now, these guys are looking at Dedmon and wondering how we couldn’t pay WCS even half of Dedmon’s money to keep WCS and keep the squad together. Dedmon is no fun to play with. He’s a stiff that has to be absolutely catered to in order to have any production. Dedmon needs to be benched immediately, and traded ASAP.
WCS asked to be released from the Kings. He clearly thought that the Kings were holding back his offensive game.

The problem with WCS was that he never fit next to Bagley for the offense that the Kings wanted to run. WCS can't shot the 3 pointer and Bagley needed to have a stretch 4 or 5 next to him, so that he and Fox would have space to operate . That's the primary reason Bagley never broke into the starting line up last year. Joeger preferred WCS defense to Bagley's offense. That is also what got Joeger fired.

Vlade got suckered into thinking that because Dedmon shot a decent percent from 3 the last 2 years, that Dedmon was a stretch 5. He is not. Dedmon is a center that can shot the 3, but by no means is he the "Stretch 5" that the Kings need next to Bagley.

The best thing for Luke to realize right now is that Dedmon is not a starting center! Bring him off the bench!

Hopefully Harry Giles is healthy or Richaun Holmes can bring some energy to starting center position, while Bjeli mans the stretch 4 spot, until Bagley gets back.

It was settled in training camp—we, as fans, are only getting to see it now. Dedmon is awful and incapable of playing with the rest of this team.
Utterly ludicrous. So were you at the practices and saw for yourself that he'll NEVER help the team? You ought to offer your services to NBA teams because of your psychic gifts.

WCS asked to be released from the Kings. He clearly thought that the Kings were holding back his offensive game.

The problem with WCS was that he never fit next to Bagley for the offense that the Kings wanted to run. WCS can't shot the 3 pointer and Bagley needed to have a stretch 4 or 5 next to him, so that he and Fox would have space to operate . That's the primary reason Bagley never broke into the starting line up last year. Joeger preferred WCS defense to Bagley's offense. That is also what got Joeger fired.

Vlade got suckered into thinking that because Dedmon shot a decent percent from 3 the last 2 years, that Dedmon was a stretch 5. He is not. Dedmon is a center that can shot the 3, but by no means is he the "Stretch 5" that the Kings need next to Bagley.

The best thing for Luke to realize right now is that Dedmon is not a starting center! Bring him off the bench!

Hopefully Harry Giles is healthy or Richaun Holmes can bring some energy to starting center position, while Bjeli mans the stretch 4 spot, until Bagley gets back.
After they had already back channeled the big offer to Dedmon. WCS wanted to stay.

Here are Dedmon's last season highlights. On offense he finishes the play. He had a couple of handoffs and two hand chest passes. He is not an assist man. He defends the paint, blocks shots and on offense HE FINISHES.

Apart from the turnovers, Dedmon has basically been as expected. The problem is that people here didn't actually watch him play and assumed he is an athletic, shot-blocking big who can shoot it. What he is, is a long, sub-par athlete who can block a shot a game with his length. He can knock down the 3 but won't give you anything more than "average" in all other parts of the game. People expecting him to be a big upgrade on Willie were always misguided.

The big upgrade was supposed to be his ability to stretch the floor. Trying to run the offense through him or having him post is complete bullcrap and not what he was brought here to do

The big upgrade was supposed to be his ability to stretch the floor. Trying to run the offense through him or having him post is complete bullcrap and not what he was brought here to do
Yeah, especially when Belly or Barnes are always playing the 4 next to him.

No reason to make him make any decisions besides shoot the 3 and crash the boards.

I wasn't asking much.

Set a screen when needed. Stand in one spot beyond the 3pt line. Actually be able to catch the ball, shoot the same 38% from 3.

Play average defense, rebound better than WCS, not by much but better.

Apparently my expectations were too much.

I wasn't asking much.

Play average defense, rebound better than WCS, not by much but better.

Apparently my expectations were too much.
WCS was ranked 23rd in RPG at 8.4 in 27 mins per game. Dedmon has not hit that number in his 6 seasons in the NBA. part of that is minutes played, but I dont see an increase in his minutes. the most that could have been expected is same-ish rebounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.